UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant)
(03-21-2021, 02:39 PM)calinb Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 12:57 PM)moodroid Wrote: Hi. What is the KDE Fusion Beta 3? I know they have a Phosh Beta 7 and and a Plasma Beta 2, but I've not seen any mention of Fusion. Thanks

Manjaro Fusion Beta 3 release:
https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/pla.../tag/beta3

Manjaro comes in phosh, lomiri, and fusion-mobile versions for PinePhone:
https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/

The 17-distro multi boot has an earlier version but this Beta 3, which was released yesterday, is looking like it's a significant update for me and I've mostly been a Mobian fan up until now.
Thanks for the info @calinb - will give it a try tonightSmile

EDIT: Yeah, this seems pretty good so far. I bet there's loads of people (like me) who don't even know about these github builds. Looking at the main site, the beta2 appears to be the latest plasma version, and a lot of the nightlies don't even boot up. Thanks again.
(03-21-2021, 12:54 PM)Jadzia_D Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 11:21 PM)neil_swann80 Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 05:26 PM)Jadzia_D Wrote: OMG!!!! Thank you!!! I had it in the wrong slot. :/ I feel dumb. Thank you sooooo much!!!!

Glad that's working for you.  Have fun with Megi's Multi-boot image and your new Pinephone!

I'm really fond of the Lomiri GUI you get with UBPorts myself.  Manjaro have a version (Alpha 3) with the Lomiri interface which is also looking promising:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/49923

Manjaro Phosh (Beta 6) seems to be one of the distros with the most functionality currently:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/55679
Mobian is another one to try for the most functionality.

Sailfish looks lovely too (perhaps nicer than the Lomiri GUI), but like many of the distros currently, plenty of bugs still and I believe there is some proprietary UI code? 

Whilst I love the way the Pinephone is shaping up, for me none of the Pinephone distros are quite daily driver ready as yet, so for the moment I'm running UBPorts on an old Android handset (Nexus 5 - Hammerhead), nearly everything works and works well; including Anbox which allows you to run some Android apps albeit not always perfectly.

I've been playing with Ubuntu Touch this morning. I see there's still work to do on the camera. I tried Sailfish and it was a bit stuck after the tutorial. I'd like to give Manjaro a chance too. Even if it's not a daily driver yet I'm having fun playing with it. I have a couple of Android phones I can play with too. It took forever to get my pinephone because I ordered (without knowing) during Chinese New Year so I had to wait a bit longer than most. But I finally have it. Thanks again for your help. I hate asking for it but I was super stuck and got a little frustrated.

Jadzia_D - In regards to trying out Sailfish, I read somewhere that either having a SIM card inserted in on first boot OR setting up no password (if you have no SIM) on setup will get you past the tutorial. I am still waiting for them to build the new image, as updating from SailfishOS 3.4.0.24 resulted in failure. Hope this helps
Proud Owner : 
OG Pinephone 
Pinetime
Pinetab
Update is coming (I'm currently uploading a new image to the server).

Included distributions:

Arch Linux ARM 2021-06-02
Arch Linux ARM / dreemurrs 20210522
Fedora 0.5.0
Lune OS 2021-05-29
Maemo Leste 20210530
Manjaro / Phosh beta10
Manjaro / Plasma 20210602
Mobian 20210602
pmOS / Plasma Desktop 2021-06-02
pmOS / GNOME 2021-06-02
pmOS / Plasma Mobile v21.03-20210529
pmOS / Phosh v21.03-20210529
Sailfish 1.1-4.0.1.48 20210601
pmOS / sxmo edge-20210526-0123
Ubuntu Touch 2021-05-27

Linux kernel: 5.13-rc4
Bootloader: p-boot (https://xnux.eu/p-boot/)
Uses latest TF-A and crust

Aside from upgraded distributions, this release should support
distribution upgrades. Most distributions are not modified at
all except for disabling kernel and bootloader updates, and
forcing all distros to share a single kernel built by me specially
for the multi-boot image.
my website: https://xnux.eu
Thank you very much! I am already downloading the new file.
Let me know if there are any major issues. For the next release I'll hopefully get to adding some menu option for booting into a multi-boot management UI, that will allow for modifications (like resetting the distros to original state, or kernel updates, or modifying the boot menu and removing the unwanted distros, or migrating to eMMC, and things like that).

It would be an interesting way to install a distro to pinephone. Load up SD card with multi-boot image, try the distros, and then just select the one you like and it would be installed to eMMC (either in the original form with u-boot and distro kernel, or using p-boot and my kernel and without losing any changes).

Or you could just drop the distros you don't like from SD card by deleting them from the menu and continue using multi-boot image as is.

If distros use home directory to store user settings/data, it may even be possible to share a single home directory (btrfs subvolume) across all the distros. So theoretically it would not matter which posh based distro you'd boot, it would contain the same settings and data. Would be nice to not have to re-do the wifi configuration for each distro, etc. In reality it may not work that well, because I guess some distros store settings in /etc, but it might be interesting to try.
At the moment, I haven't found any major errors. The operation is even more fluid than in the previous version and I have noticed a greater ease to install applications.

However, it's still not possible to charge the phone through the USB-C Docking Bar. This makes it difficult to use the PinePhone in desktop mode.

That said, the desktop mode of the new versions of OS has improved significantly.

On the other hand, the new features you mention for the next version are impressive. Have you already planned a release date?

Thanks again!

P.S. Considering the fact that the operation with the sd card is slower, do you think that it would be possible to do a kind of "double boot" in the emmc, including your multi-distro and GloDroid?
(06-03-2021, 11:36 AM)Avisando Wrote: At the moment, I haven't found any major errors. The operation is even more fluid than in the previous version and I have noticed a greater ease to install applications.

However, it's still not possible to charge the phone through the USB-C Docking Bar. This makes it difficult to use the PinePhone in desktop mode.

That said, the desktop mode of the new versions of OS has improved significantly.

On the other hand, the new features you mention for the next version are impressive. Have you already planned a release date?

Thanks again!

P.S. Considering the fact that the operation with the sd card is slower, do you think that it would be possible to do a kind of "double boot" in the emmc, including your multi-distro and GloDroid?

- Yes, you can just select eMMC from the menu, and whatever is on eMMC should boot.
- No dates, just ideas.
- Charging depends on what power supply you use to power the dock. What current was selected should be printed in dmesg, when you plug in the powered dock to the phone. Normally pine dock offers the phone 2.6A or so with a 5V/3A USB-PD charger. With dumb charger it offers waaay less, in the 0.5A range, which is enough for charging only if you turn off the display. Also, different docks make different decisions.
- I'm glad to hear things work better. Smile
(06-03-2021, 06:12 PM)megous Wrote:
(06-03-2021, 11:36 AM)Avisando Wrote: At the moment, I haven't found any major errors. The operation is even more fluid than in the previous version and I have noticed a greater ease to install applications.

Thanks again!

- Yes, you can just select eMMC from the menu, and whatever is on eMMC should boot.
- No dates, just ideas.
- Charging depends on what power supply you use to power the dock. What current was selected should be printed in dmesg, when you plug in the powered dock to the phone. Normally pine dock offers the phone 2.6A or so with a 5V/3A USB-PD charger. With dumb charger it offers waaay less, in the 0.5A range, which is enough for charging only if you turn off the display. Also, different docks make different decisions.
- I'm glad to hear things work better. Smile

I think I explained it wrong. By "double boot" I meant a solution that would allow you to install your multi-distro and GloDroid in the internal emmc of the PinePhone, independently of the SD card.

As for charging through the dock, I tried a Samsung EP-TA20EWE charger and now it works perfect. Thanks!  Smile
Hello,

sorry to start my first post in this forum with a stupid question...
I have the pinephone since 7 months and because of no time and no SIM-card I have made only a few tests back in December.

I have downloaded the multi-boot image and have now a .zst-file. How can I put it on a bootable sd-card?

Last year in December I downloaded an .img-file which I could put with etcher on an sd-card and it works.

best regards and thanks for all the work on the pinephone!

Ralf
(06-06-2021, 02:48 AM)Ralf Wrote: Hello,

sorry to start my first post in this forum with a stupid question...
I have the pinephone since 7 months and because of no time and no SIM-card I have made only a few tests back in December.

I have downloaded the multi-boot image and have now a .zst-file. How can I put it on a bootable sd-card?

Last year in December I downloaded an .img-file which I could put with etcher on an sd-card and it works.

best regards and thanks for all the work on the pinephone!

Ralf
Hello and welcome!

If you have an Ubuntu computer, you can install PeaZip. This program allows you to obtain an img file from the zst file.

Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,116 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 461 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,603 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma