Changing locale on Pinebook Pro
When running the installation process on the new Pinebook Pro, I inadvertently selected the wrong locale, so the desktop is now in Catalan (I think).
What is the simplest process to correct the locale (to English, Canadian or US)?

If I had an installation medium, I'd just re-run the install and pick the right value this time. (Is there some way to do that with the machine as delivered?)
(There's nothing on the system that can't be wiped out and reset.)

If it's possible to change a value in a configuration file (or files), what are the files and values? (I think I can stumble through nano). Please assume a
combination of Unix background and momentary fumbling.

For a simple difficulty, I'd probably try asking the distribution site, but this problem's at the intersection of software and hardware.

(I'm anxious to get the machine usable; what I've seen so far is very attractive.)
Manjaro wiki on changing locale:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Locale
You can get an installation medium. But you'll end up in Catalan again. It's not something you did wrong, it's something wrong with the version of Manjaro that ships with the PBP. Once you do an update, the problem will go away. But you'll probably end up in Catalan one more time.
(09-07-2020, 11:26 PM)Dendrocalamus64 Wrote: Manjaro wiki on changing locale:

Thanks. That was a good reference.
(09-07-2020, 01:31 PM)Perl6_user Wrote: When running the installation process on the new Pinebook Pro, I inadvertently selected the wrong locale, so the desktop is now in Catalan (I think).
What is the simplest process to correct the locale (to English, Canadian or US)?

If I had an installation medium, I'd just re-run the install and pick the right value this time. (Is there some way to do that with the machine as delivered?)
(There's nothing on the system that can't be wiped out and reset.)

If it's possible to change a value in a configuration file (or files), what are the files and values? (I think I can stumble through nano). Please assume a
combination of Unix background and momentary fumbling.

For a simple difficulty, I'd probably try asking the distribution site, but this problem's at the intersection of software and hardware.

(I'm anxious to get the machine usable; what I've seen so far is very attractive.)

I am thinking that the PBP (And probably other Pine64 singleboard computers..) could use a utility similar to raspi-config on the Raspberry Pi boards.

On Raspberry Pi, this tool is great and has both basic and advanced features like locale, expanding an SD cards file system, setting the system to read only, setting up wifi when not running a GUI and more... all things that you can get done in linux with experience... but it drastically helps the newer users.

I think this would benefit the Pine64 community with minimal work.

pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
/s
(09-07-2020, 11:26 PM)Dendrocalamus64 Wrote: Manjaro wiki on changing locale:
So i ran into this problem too. I used the steps in the guide you linked and it mostly fixed it. What i had to do to fully fix it was change my regional settings. Under system settings go to regional settings and update language and formats. If your language is really messed up and the system settings is in another language too its the 20th option in settings and the following 2 options in there. The icon kinda looks like a text bubble.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro vs Pinetab2 Lotech 0 185 02-13-2024, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Lotech
  When setting locale what is the code for the United states? Nobot 2 2,203 04-24-2023, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,641 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  Please Help: Bricked Pinebook Pro with Keyboard Update dumbguywhobrokehiscomputer 3 3,877 07-14-2021, 02:49 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Java on Manjaro ARM Pinebook Pro gulagpyromaniac 3 3,768 05-25-2021, 11:05 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Setup My Pinebook 64 and Lost Password jersdayoff 5 5,686 05-01-2021, 10:29 PM
Last Post: wdt
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,947 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
  Pinebook Pro- configuration aborts setting keyboard layout scroall 10 12,049 10-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Last Post: scroall
Big Grin New to Pinebook Pro SanjevR 5 8,853 06-07-2020, 07:35 AM
Last Post: spikerguy
  WiFi issues Pinebook Pro sunnystormy 6 8,858 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Luke