If the modem is certified with carriers, why won’t they activate SIMs?
You give a carrier or MVNO your IMEI, where the first 8 digits are a TAC that identifies the EG25-G, and the next six digits are just some sort of serial number (I think), and then a checksum digit, and rather than saying “Oh, the Quectel EG25-G! A fine piece of hardware! It’s been certified by the carrier, has a VoLTE profile, etc., so you’re all set, and enjoy your service!”, they say “Sorry, we can’t help you.” — so most people having to activate their SIMs in other phones.

What am I not understanding?

And is the situation likely to improve in some way over time, or is this just life for PinePhoners?
I think the secret is to find a MVNO that doesn't care about your IMEI. I activated on Tracfone with just the SIM card number and my ZIP code.
@desca

I do not know if the Quectel-EG25-G is 'carrier certified'  or perhaps 'FCC certified'......

But as @ThrillGates  points out some carriers are very easy to sign-up with,  and some are not. 

Have you tried multiple carriers, or tried different methods, perhaps if you have a particular carrier
you want to use and you cannot register online,   try using a different portal,   or if possible go to their
retail store..?

Just trying to change my sim card for an 'existing  AT&T PrePaid account'  has been hours & hours spent with
no success what so ever.

While signing up for new service from AT&T through TracFone was done in a few minutes online.
Simple Mobile for T-Mobile service is extremely 'simple'  as well....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I looked at some Quectel documentation and it showed certification for the US carriers (as of a year ago or so, I believe, with T-Mobile still in progress at that point), and Deutsche Telekom and some others.  But I don’t know a lot about the world of telecom, so I’m trying to understand what’s happening behind the Yes or No. What scares them off.

I can see that, as you’re saying, from the practical user perspective, it’s a process of being patient and maybe having to go through a few. And that if they will just send you a SIM and activate you, the phone can and the software can or soon will make the necessities work.
PS The forum is barely working at the moment; apologies if this ends up multiple-posting.

For the sake of completeness, I looked up the Quectel EG25G page and it lists

Deutsche Telekom/ Verizon/ AT&T/ Sprint/ U.S. Cellular/ Telus/ T-Mobile*/ Rogers*

* Under development

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modem white list aular 7 648 02-13-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: aular
  qcell modem id aular 6 630 01-15-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: aular
  Temporary fix for Modem Not Coming Back on in SXMO Postmarketos Pinephone kebab 2 1,993 07-16-2023, 11:14 AM
Last Post: kebab
  Modem gets disabled on every suspend jojuma 5 1,663 03-27-2023, 02:51 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  MMS-Monitor: Help for carriers with dual APNs? treebeard 2 1,249 02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Modem audio settings jack1 2 1,215 02-04-2023, 04:01 PM
Last Post: jack1
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 1,968 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
  compatible carriers the7thpoint 2 1,641 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  The modem switch affects the connection to battery? JohnDoe 2 1,943 03-30-2022, 12:02 AM
Last Post: JohnDoe
  UK Carriers Zweitaktmotor 4 2,888 03-27-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Dog House Dave