Lid magnet missing?
I just received my Pinebook Pro today, and all was going well until i realized the screen wasn't turning off when I shut the lid. I was able to put the PBP to sleep with a magnet, but not when I close the lid. My only guess is that the magnet is missing from the top lid?
Were you able to detect if there was a magnet in the lid using the other one you had? Just in case it was there, but not in the right position?
(08-28-2020, 07:11 PM)pfeerick Wrote: Were you able to detect if there was a magnet in the lid using the other one you had? Just in case it was there, but not in the right position?
Oh I didn't even think about that. I was able to feel a magnet in the lid, but it's most likely just misaligned. I guess all I can do now is take it apart and move it back into its proper place (I guess it may have gotten displaced in shipping) but I'm really worried I'd mess it up somehow
Can you tell us where the magnet is?
(Or really supposed to be?)

That probably needs to be documented in the Wiki.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(08-29-2020, 08:47 AM)Arwen Wrote: Can you tell us where the magnet is?

Quite frankly I'm too afraid to take it apart right now, at least with it still being under warranty. I've read a forum post about someone who managed to mess up the screen and webcam..

The magnet locates at LCD panel right side, around 1.5 inches up measure from bottom edge.
(09-03-2020, 10:43 PM)tllim Wrote:

The magnet locates at LCD panel right side, around 1.5 inches up measure from bottom edge.
Thank you. That does explain the Hall sensor on the daughter board. I've added it to the Wiki:

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - Lid closed magnet

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I received my PBP from the most recent batch, I don't know maybe 10 days ago, and I can confirm that this is an issue for me as well. Initially I thought it was a problem with Manjaro, or possibly the PBP was not even equipped to sleep upon closing the lid (I have no familiarity with the hardware). But after searching and seeing a few posts similar to this one, I tried closing the lid very slowly and watched it sleep (and stay asleep) when the lid is about an inch before being closed completely. As soon as the lid is closed completely, the PBP wakes up until the battery is drained. I haven't had a chance to open this up and look into moving the magnet but I suspect I'll have time later this evening and will report back with my findings. If I remember, I'll take some photos to share with the community.
Well, I opened the bezel and found the magnet. It is indeed very magnetic, so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Is it possible that the magnet is too strong for the hall sensor? Or that the polarity is reversed?

For anyone curious the bezel is actually pretty easy to remove. I'm sure it's much easier with the display assembly detatched from the main body, but I was able to gain access to the magnet without doing so. The rubber bumper at the top needs to be removed to gain access to a screw, and from there just carefully pry from the top corner downward with a credit card (or whatever) until you get to the bottom.

Magnet inside bezel (Imgur link)

Now that I've laid eyes upon it and confirmed that there is indeed a magnet there, I'm curious to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this issue with lid closed sleep. As I said in my previous post, it DOES work, just when the lid is open about an inch. Fully closing the lid causes the PBP to wake up again. Huh
@subalpine

It's probably that the hall effect sensor on the daughter / small board is wired to a ADC, (Analog to Digital Converter), on the CPU. So perhaps the software that coverts that input needs some fine tuning.

Have not had a chance to look at the schematics to confirm it's wired to a a ADC. Nor figure out what software does the conversion from ADC input to lid closed event.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wifi missing some networks filip 0 534 03-11-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: filip
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,366 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  wlan0 missing dex357 6 7,377 06-08-2020, 09:01 AM
Last Post: dex357
  Missing Screws missingchip 2 4,015 06-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: missingchip
  Pinebook missing screw from the factory tso4ev 4 5,631 01-20-2020, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Arwen
Thumbs Up Pinebook Pro Fingerprint Magnet neilman 28 28,031 12-04-2019, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Jeremiah Cornelius