Micro computer module
Question 
Would it be a good idea to explore creating a "micro server" similar to the FriendlyElec ZeroPi? What I've got in mind is a board with minimal RAM (probably 512 MB), Gigabit Ethernet, and (possibly) network boot. Users would primarily (or fully) interact with the board via SSH or similar. I've been researching lately on building a Beowulf cluster and the FriendlyElec board looks good, but it has its flaws and I thought that Pine64 might do a good job with this sort of thing.

This is more than likely a stupid idea, but please give your honest feedback on this idea (and don't be afraid to tell me that it's stupid).
What you describe can be done with the Clusterboard and the Sopine modules (although network boot seems experimental). Not quite the same size or price point, but at least for clustering also much more convenient and performant.

Soon there should be also a 2nd module for it with a slower main chip but a AI accelerator unit. Although the Covind-19 situation seems to have delayed that product launch.

Edit: although I have to say that due to the small niche the Clusterboard is, the software is a bit lacking and the hardware has a few quirks that were never fixed it seems. I would love to see a new version with a faster module for it, but from the looks of it the Clusterboard as a product wasn't very successful for Pine64.
(08-22-2020, 01:51 AM)poVoq Wrote: What you describe can be done with the Clusterboard and the Sopine modules (although network boot seems experimental). Not quite the same size or price point, but at least for clustering also much more convenient and performant.

Soon there should be also a 2nd module for it with a slower main chip but a AI accelerator unit. Although the Covind-19 situation seems to have delayed that product launch.

Edit: although I have to say that due to the small niche the Clusterboard is, the software is a bit lacking and the hardware has a few quirks that were never fixed it seems. I would love to see a new version with a faster module for it, but from the looks of it the Clusterboard as a product wasn't very successful for Pine64.
poVpq, do you mean an SOPINE with an integrated NPU? that would be slick, indeed. I thought about asking how hard it would be to go from the Rk3399 to the Rk3399pro as that would add an NPU to a machine we're already using. Of course, if there are better options or ones that makes more sense for a small SOPINE type design, I'm interested in knowing more.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
The details of the SoEdge module can be found here:
https://www.pine64.org/2020/02/03/fosdem...uncements/
But like most of the other stuff in that announcement (and a rumored SoRock module with higher general CPU specs comapred to the SoPine) seems to have been delayed quite a bit. But an update on the status of these would be indeed nice. The RasberryPI form factor HardRock SBC also looked nice back in February, although I guess now with the availability of the Odroid-C4 it will get much less interest.
(08-25-2020, 02:14 PM)poVoq Wrote: The details of the SoEdge module can be found here:
https://www.pine64.org/2020/02/03/fosdem...uncements/
But like most of the other stuff in that announcement (and a rumored SoRock module with higher general CPU specs comapred to the SoPine) seems to have been delayed quite a bit. But an update on the status of these would be indeed nice. The RasberryPI form factor HardRock SBC also looked nice back in February, although I guess now with the availability of the Odroid-C4 it will get much less interest.

Yeah, the C4 looks very similar. I would be interested in the HardRock, but I'll probably get a RockPro first. I would definitely like to look into clustering SoRock modules.

Looks like there were heat issues with the SoRock test boards. I'm guessing that testing is also likely on hold.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
Has been awefully quiet regarding the SoEdge module and the HardRock SBC... Is there any official word from Pine64 regarding those?
I think an idea that can save the tools used is a good idea as long as it really works. The faster the module operates, the faster the execution process.
(09-23-2020, 04:13 AM)poVoq Wrote: Has been awefully quiet regarding the SoEdge module and the HardRock SBC... Is there any official word from Pine64 regarding those?

Actually the SOEdge module and baseboard already ready and first production batch already produced. However, due to lacking test software to check out the module, we haven't role out yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Pine64 single-board computer has NO on-board wireless modules? peteressive 2 1,233 03-10-2023, 03:35 PM
Last Post: peteressive
  LTE module for pine64 products stoiqman 1 1,003 10-18-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  PinePower desktop micro power breaks jpalus 4 4,526 08-08-2021, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Advice on building a simple computer… SeeMossRun 4 3,374 05-24-2021, 05:25 PM
Last Post: barray
  What are the chances of getting a pine64 mini computer Omnios 4 5,451 09-06-2020, 04:04 AM
Last Post: SpoofyKid
  pine64 usb2 emmc reader with odroid module nivex 1 3,332 03-30-2020, 04:27 PM
Last Post: nivex
  Would it be possible to have a pine C-64 mini arm computer project board. Omnios 1 3,207 03-27-2020, 06:00 AM
Last Post: pljanson
  Single board computer for coding classes (Python / EduBlocks) pawlinski 4 5,435 03-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ab1jx
  Anyone remember this "super computer" SBC from 10 rears ago? KNERD 0 2,115 11-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  sopine module with rk3399? fentavius 0 1,771 08-15-2019, 08:06 AM
Last Post: fentavius