Mobile network is not working
Hi, i am so close to having a useable mobian-phone (UBPorts-Edition) and i am totally looking forward to. So thanks a lot for your work! :-)
What gives me a headache is getting mobile network to work.
My carrier is o2-germany and i can register for lte,umts and gsm and calls and sms are working so far.
But as soon as i connect to the internet the modem changes to state "unkown". I need to dis- and enable mobile in order to get the modem to register again.
I got the APN-Setup (apn: internet) of the carriers website. 

I tried phosh, modem-manager-gui and mmcli + nmcli. In pureos the modem fails exactly the same.
I am out of ideas for now so any help is appreciated.
(08-09-2020, 07:33 AM)tlo Wrote: Hi, i am so close to having a useable mobian-phone (UBPorts-Edition) and i am totally looking forward to. So thanks a lot for your work! :-)
My carrier is o2-germany and i can register for lte,umts and gsm and calls and sms are working so far.
But as soon as i connect to the internet the modem changes to state "unkown". I need to dis- and enable mobile in order to get the modem to register again.

I tried phosh, modem-manager-gui and mmcli + nmcli. In pureos the modem fails exactly the same.
I have a similar post on this subject, I have heard that it could be that the firmware on the cellular modem is corrupted. Have you contacted Pine64 about it? I think they should look into it in case it really is a case of faulty hardware.
(08-12-2020, 12:03 PM)FOSSagent0 Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 07:33 AM)tlo Wrote: Hi, i am so close to having a useable mobian-phone (UBPorts-Edition) and i am totally looking forward to. So thanks a lot for your work! :-)

I have a similar post on this subject, I have heard that it could be that the firmware on the cellular modem is corrupted. Have you contacted Pine64 about it? I think they should look into it in case it really is a case of faulty hardware.
I have poked at testing this on mobian a few times. I see similar behavior on my Pinephone UBPorts CE. If I test on UBPorts, my data works without issue. I have a feeling this is OS related. Could be modem ROM corruption, but my experience has been similar on a few distros.

Source: I'm doing manual QA on multiple OSes.
(08-12-2020, 12:28 PM)plainenough Wrote:

I have poked at testing this on mobian a few times. I see similar behavior on my Pinephone UBPorts CE. If I test on UBPorts, my data works without issue. I have a feeling this is OS related. Could be modem ROM corruption, but my experience has been similar on a few distros.

Yep, same experience here. In UBPorts the mobile data worked instantly.
The good news. It now works in mobian as well since an update last week. I connect via modem-manager-gui and it connects instantly to 3g and 4G.
Joy!
(08-15-2020, 04:30 AM)tlo Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 12:28 PM)plainenough Wrote:

Yep, same experience here. In UBPorts the mobile data worked instantly.
The good news. It now works in mobian as well since an update last week. I connect via modem-manager-gui and it connects instantly to 3g and 4G.
Joy!
I am on T-mobile in the US. I've been impressed with Mobian because My Mobian had quite early on had the 4G and signal strength bars on the upper left corner. The mobile data to get online has also worked for some time now.  I only have the slight inconvenience in that the modem seems to turn off ( which would = to "mobile data not working")and I would have to reboot to get it back on.  I usually do
mmcli -m 0 | grep SIM  at which time if i get error: couldn't find modem  I just do sudo reboot and it reboots and i reissue the mmcli -m 0 | grep SIM  then i would get:
SIM     |              dbus path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/0

at which point I could use the mobile data.  So, I wonder 1) if those who says it doesn't work could have rebooted and gotten it to work.
2) is there a command i can issue to get the modem to work without rebooting? or if there's a setting i need to edit to make the modem stay present more often?

Thank you!
(08-16-2020, 04:59 PM)HLing Wrote: I am on T-mobile in the US. I've been impressed with Mobian because My Mobian had quite early on had the 4G and signal strength bars on the upper left corner. The mobile data to get online has also worked for some time now.  I only have the slight inconvenience in that the modem seems to turn off ( which would = to "mobile data not working")and I would have to reboot to get it back on.  I usually do
mmcli -m 0 | grep SIM  at which time if i get error: couldn't find modem  I just do sudo reboot and it reboots and i reissue the mmcli -m 0 | grep SIM  then i would get:

at which point I could use the mobile data.  So, I wonder 1) if those who says it doesn't work could have rebooted and gotten it to work.
2) is there a command i can issue to get the modem to work without rebooting? or if there's a setting i need to edit to make the modem stay present more often?

Thank you!

The modem is still there but it will have changed it's id. you can run `mmctl -L` to get the device string and then `mmctl -m<id>` to query it. I've found a similar thing with gps https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/69
(08-20-2020, 12:28 AM)Baggypants Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 04:59 PM)HLing Wrote: I am on T-mobile in the US. I've been impressed with Mobian because My Mobian had quite early on had the 4G and signal strength bars on the upper left corner. The mobile data to get online has also worked for some time now.  I only have the slight inconvenience in that the modem seems to turn off ( which would = to "mobile data not working")and I would have to reboot to get it back on.  I usually do

Thank you!

The modem is still there but it will have changed it's id. you can run `mmctl -L` to get the device string and then `mmctl -m<id>` to query it. I've found a similar thing with gps https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/69

Hi Baggypants,  I tried your command but instead of mmctl I had to use mmcli.  so when I did mmcli -m 0 (my id) I got a whole page of info.  Thank you for that!
I have the same issue on D2 - Fonic. I can't connect to the data network. As soon as I do it the modem unregisters and goes to status unknown. It work with ubports. On top I can't send text messages even with mobile data off. Mobian is still my favourite and I am hoping that this can be fixed Smile
Same here, looks like the modem manager in ALL Phosh added operating systems is buggy. Problem exists in all my tested distributions with Phosh. UB-T and plasma-mobile have no problems with this issue. IMO they use network-manager and not modem-manager
Awesome !

It works (for me) with the latest update (01_sep_2020) Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,711 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The internal speaker stops working anonymous 6 812 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM
  APN settings not working with new operator SIM card user641 1 962 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
  Possible Solution for Microphone Not Working Ferriah 0 903 02-13-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Not connecting to cellular network car46999 18 6,949 01-30-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: car46999
  Block firefix-esr-mobile-config from (re)installing itself grump_fiddle_reinstall 3 1,452 01-07-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: dcarvil
Exclamation No modems were found: No mobile data, no 2G anonymous 2 1,269 12-26-2022, 06:46 PM
  very slow processing of MMS received via Ting (T-Mobile) treebeard 6 2,356 12-01-2022, 09:18 AM
Last Post: traut
  Squeekboard stopped working Zebulon Walton 2 1,096 11-24-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  need help with downgradin network-manager Ferriah 0 602 11-07-2022, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Ferriah