broken emmc
Hey!

My Pinephone BH won't boot anymore. I have PM Os installed on the emmc, the sd card as an additional drive. It worked very well with the stable branch. Three days later it was dead. When pressing the power button it stucks with the 'led test' and makes a short 'click' (which seems to be specific to pm os) and restarts over and over again. that it quits at the "led test" reminds on the error bieps from bios, when something essential did go wrong. So: no boot screen, nothing.

What I already tried:
- completely charge the battery
- flash the sd card with jumpdrive:
The phone booted into the jumpdrive modus, but: lsblk did not show the emmc nor the sd card (which is strange). I can unplug the usb cable while it runs jumpdrive, so the battery works well.

I think the emmc is dead. Can I replace it??

I appreciate any idea.

Ralf
Put PM OS on the SD card and see if you can access the EMMC from there.

Did you do an update before that happened? Maybe it's just an error in PM OS. Perhaps you can chroot into it and fix the problem there.
(08-05-2020, 11:57 AM)nieral Wrote: Hey!

My Pinephone BH won't boot anymore. I have PM Os installed on the emmc, the sd card as an additional drive. It worked very well with the stable branch. Three days later it was dead. When pressing the power button it stucks with the 'led test' and makes a short 'click' (which seems to be specific to pm os) and restarts over and over again. that it quits at the "led test" reminds on the error bieps from bios, when something essential did go wrong. So: no boot screen, nothing.

What I already tried:
The phone booted into the jumpdrive modus, but: lsblk did not show the emmc nor the sd card (which is strange). I can unplug the usb cable while it runs jumpdrive, so the battery works well.

I appreciate any idea.

Ralf
There is a factory test image very close to the bottom of the demo builds in the postmarket sub-heading on the pinephone os wiki. Use it to test your hardware. That's all it does.
(08-06-2020, 01:46 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

What I already tried:

I appreciate any idea.

Ralf
There is a factory test image very close to the bottom of the demo builds in the postmarket sub-heading on the pinephone os wiki. Use it to test your hardware. That's all it does.

The Tests with the factory test image showed no errors and I could even flash the factory test image to the emmc and the phone booted from the emmc :-) Jumpdrive now shows the emmc and the sdcard. I don't know what was the reason for this error, but a failed upgrade seems to be a good guess. Thank you for the support.

What I already tried:

I appreciate any idea.

Ralf

I have experienced the same twice with pmos. In my case it has been with an SD card.
It happens when the phone has been running for 2 ish days plugged in to power. I come back to the phone and it's dead.
When i try booting it again it does the click sound. Taking out the sd card and boot from the emmc(factory test image) it boots fine.
The sd card won't boot until i reflash it.
(08-22-2020, 01:49 AM)jzs Wrote:

What I already tried:

I appreciate any idea.

Ralf

I have experienced the same twice with pmos. In my case it has been with an SD card.
It happens when the phone has been running for 2 ish days plugged in to power. I come back to the phone and it's dead.
When i try booting it again it does the click sound. Taking out the sd card and boot from the emmc(factory test image) it boots fine.
The sd card won't boot until i reflash it.

I still struggle with this issue when my battery is empty. But I found a work around without flashing the emmc.

1) I was not able to boot the factory test images No. 49 or 55, only the image from 17.05.20 worked.

2) After I succesfully booted jumpdrive (see post above), it failed again and I couln't see the emmc or the sd card.

3) I then flashed my sd card with mobian which worked. I charged the battery while running mobian. Afterwards it succesfully booted pm os from the emmc again.

So, whenever my phones' battery is completely empty, I'm having the described issues. I then plug in my "spare" Mobian SD, charge the battery for a couple of minutes and restart the phone without the mobian image.

Could it be connected to the kernel? I find it interesting that the old factory image booted, but the newer ones did not. I will duplicate this post in the pm os section.
If you have the skills, apply this https://xnux.eu/devices/pp-pmic-fix.jpg and then don't let your battery discharge to zero.
(08-24-2020, 10:35 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: If you have the skills, apply this https://xnux.eu/devices/pp-pmic-fix.jpg and then don't let your battery discharge to zero.

It would be the end of my pinephone.

Anyway, it's caused by crust and can be solved:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...0#pid75460

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  eMMC upgrade EuvzO8 5 1,419 11-08-2023, 11:58 PM
Last Post: brken
  Pinephone - broken power button rorus 10 8,819 05-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: kbm
  RAM corruption, possible eMMC corruption alnyan 3 1,621 08-24-2022, 03:07 AM
Last Post: JeremyWadsworth
  Emmc yvan 1 1,314 07-07-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Chief
  Keyboard support broken in Mobian? MacarioMorenoUK 2 1,660 06-08-2022, 02:34 AM
Last Post: MacarioMorenoUK
  Any experiences with hardware mod to improve eMMC speeds? kqlnut 9 5,708 04-19-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: kk22
Sad Have I got a broken camera module? AKD251 2 2,160 11-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Last Post: beta-user
  [Help] SIM slot contact broken WinstonSmith 3 3,149 07-14-2021, 06:13 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  PinePhone won't boot, U-Boot seems to be broken Marcade 8 7,546 04-20-2021, 05:28 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  broken connector-pin for the accu alwi 2 2,704 02-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Last Post: scholbert