My Daily Manual QA
(08-01-2020, 11:16 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I think the echo problem could be caused from both phones having speaker phone turned on.

In which case it gets more complicated,  if you turn down the microphone sensitivity it may reduce the echo,
   ....    but then you may have to hold the phone closer to your mouth....  hmm...
       .. >     ( You put it on speaker phone so you can set the phone down... )

As far as modem related problems go,
             it appears on the Brave Heart Edition   you risk corrupting the modems firmware by simply turning off your phone.

Perhaps that explains why the earlier versions of Phosh/Debian and  Mobian operating systems both worked fairly well on my phone.
  ( But when I went back to retry these previous releases,  they no longer work like they did )

Calls in & out, and texting in & out were working.

Now I cannot receive text.

Hopefully your UBPorts C.E. phone is more dependable...                    
                                            Your tests do give a good indication of the current state of the operating systems you test.

speaking of not receiving text: All was well until last Friday when I sent myself a test text and this time it did not arrive.  Long story short, I subsequently learned of a fellow T-mobiler who had the exact same problem of send ok, but not receiving text.  She does not have a pine phone, just a regular Android, One-Plus-something.  So after beating myself up trying I called T-mobile support and had them "reprovision", i believe that's the word they used.  They had me shut off the phone for a bit while they do that. It didn't come right back, but 6 hours later old sms started rolling in on my non-pine phone.  When I switched the sim back to the pinephone this morning though, it still wouldn't get incoming text, until I a installed Modem Manager.  (sorry, i'm realizing now this probably belongs in another subject)
@HLing
  Yeah,  I just discovered that "GUI" fix on my Brave Heart phone,  I simply installed 'Modem Manager' from the onboard Software store and now my sms/text works pretty well.    (I don't know if that is an approved fix ?)

B.C.
( Brave Heart, Mobian nightly release Augaust 04, running on SD card, AT&T sim card )
PS: Not certain this is a correct thread for this discussion ? ?
no more testing?
(08-09-2020, 09:08 PM)daniel Wrote: no more testing?

Sorry for the delay, we will be posting results later today. We are trying to organize a few more testers so we can broaden the scope and the OSs we are testing. Big Grin Feel free to beat me up. Rest assured, test results are on the way.
I am more impressed with Mobian (and its constituent packages) by the day; I won't be surprised if it's the first 'daily driver' distribution defined by these tests.
(08-10-2020, 01:22 PM)jed Wrote: I am more impressed with Mobian (and its constituent packages) by the day; I won't be surprised if it's the first 'daily driver' distribution defined by these tests.
I agree

What operating system have you tried?
Mobian has the camera showing images (of low quality), where others just a black screen.
Furthermore, Mobian has the elegance of Debian that no other Linux distribution can compete with.

But, besides these points, why do you think any other point is the most advanced?

(08-10-2020, 01:07 PM)plainenough Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 09:08 PM)daniel Wrote: no more testing?

Sorry for the delay, we will be posting results later today. We are trying to organize a few more testers so we can broaden the scope and the OSs we are testing. Big Grin Feel free to beat me up. Rest assured, test results are on the way.
You are generating big expectations!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Notes: Phone seemed rather sluggish.  Lots of heat from CPU/GPU today.
Firefox was made of suck.

Results:
mobian/2020-08-10

This OS is not ready for pinephone to be a daily driver.
(08-10-2020, 07:43 PM)plainenough Wrote: Notes: Phone seemed rather sluggish.  Lots of heat from CPU/GPU today.
Firefox was made of suck.

Results:
mobian/2020-08-10

This OS is not ready for pinephone to be a daily driver.
thanks!
Please forgive the off-topic reply.

@natasha I come from a Debian background - having used it for 2+ years (I also use Void Linux). Debian's sane defaults, package management and stability (even in testing and unstable) translate surprisingly well to a smartphone.

It appears that the Mobian team are preoccupied with user experience, while postmarketOS focuses on supporting many devices, and UBports focuses on developing Lomiri (and other packages no longer maintained by Canonical).

Mobian is taking the lead with this approach; I'm sure postmarketOS will soon follow in Debian's wake (I do appreciate Alpine Linux's leanness and use of musl libc).

@plainenough
  • Do you test distributions using the eMMC or a microSD card? If microSD, could you specify which card?
  • Do you flash the latest image, or upgrade in-place?
(08-11-2020, 05:21 AM)jed Wrote:
@plainenough
  • Do you test distributions using the eMMC or a microSD card? If microSD, could you specify which card?
  • Do you flash the latest image, or upgrade in-place?
1) I test mobian off of microSD, Samsung Amazon listing to exact cards used.

2) I flash the nightly build on mobian. Do in place upgrades on ubports. Once my second pinephone comes in I will probably begin flashing eMMC nightly for both.

Notes:  Camera related issues with front camera. Confirmed software related. Front camera image is rendered upside down regardless of phone orientation.

Results: mobian/2020-08-11

Conclusion, Mobian is not ready for pinephone to become a daily driver.

Other comments: I/We will begin marking calls inbound and outbound as failed with severe audio quality issues.  This OS makes inbound and outbound calls without any issue save a really stuff call quality. Just FYI.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian / mobian Pine64 - User Manual? Harry27 1 2,253 03-03-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  My Daily QA - 2020-10-06 AmazingNutria 6 6,872 01-05-2021, 10:08 PM
Last Post: daniel
  Why the 12/15/2020 build is no where near a daily driver yet TheLastDon 24 19,150 12-31-2020, 09:51 AM
Last Post: HLing
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-22 AmazingNutria 4 4,979 09-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-11 AmazingNutria 2 3,390 09-20-2020, 09:17 PM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-10 AmazingNutria 1 2,846 09-11-2020, 08:30 AM
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-08 AmazingNutria 7 7,280 09-09-2020, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Cree
  My Daily QA - 2020-09-03 AmazingNutria 2 3,070 09-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  My Daily QA - 2020-08-28 AmazingNutria 3 3,593 09-01-2020, 09:41 AM