How to make a web app for a custom webpage
Question 
I'm trying to find out how to make a random website into a web app, but most guides require me to get the Ubuntu Touch SDK on my computer. Trying to do this, I get the error `Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support focal''.

From my research, this seems to mean that the package is outdated and isn't supported anymore.

How can I make a custom Web App on my phone?
If you google "convert website to app linux" there's a bunch of solutions that build an emulator around the website and host it remotely. As long as its a responsive website the app should be too. Its pretty straightforward, most are automated. Some free, some maybe freemium or paid. Anyway, you pretty much just type in the url and then download the app file.
(07-21-2020, 11:17 PM)RandomN00B Wrote: I'm trying to find out how to make a random website into a web app, but most guides require me to get the Ubuntu Touch SDK on my computer. Trying to do this, I get the error `Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support focal''.

From my research, this seems to mean that the package is outdated and isn't supported anymore.

Install Webber from the open store.  Use it to create the webapp, but has a bug on PP where doesnt install the click package.  Use tweaks to install the click package.
(07-28-2020, 08:01 PM)Cree Wrote: If you google "convert website to app linux" there's a bunch of solutions that build an emulator around the website and host it remotely. As long as its a responsive website the app should be too. Its pretty straightforward, most are automated. Some free, some maybe freemium or paid. Anyway, you pretty much just type in the url and then download the app file.

Thanks! I'll look into that!

(07-28-2020, 08:01 PM)archamin Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 11:17 PM)RandomN00B Wrote: I'm trying to find out how to make a random website into a web app, but most guides require me to get the Ubuntu Touch SDK on my computer. Trying to do this, I get the error `Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support focal''.

Install Webber from the open store.  Use it to create the webapp, but has a bug on PP where doesnt install the click package.  Use tweaks to install the click package.

I tried Webber and am glad to know that it's not just an issue on my end :-). Where in the file system is the click package stored?
(08-01-2020, 01:04 PM)RandomN00B Wrote:
(07-28-2020, 08:01 PM)Cree Wrote: If you google "convert website to app linux" there's a bunch of solutions that build an emulator around the website and host it remotely. As long as its a responsive website the app should be too. Its pretty straightforward, most are automated. Some free, some maybe freemium or paid. Anyway, you pretty much just type in the url and then download the app file.

I tried Webber and am glad to know that it's not just an issue on my end :-). Where in the file system is the click package stored?
I am also very interested in the answer because I would love to have Webber work.
(08-06-2020, 11:05 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:

I am also very interested in the answer because I would love to have Webber work.

I ended up getting Webber to work!

It is a bit more complicated than just making the app, though. You create the app through Webber, then you do the following:
1. Open the File Manager app
2. Show hidden files
3. Navigate to `/cache/webber.timsuberkreub/click-build/'
4. You will see a .click file for the most recent app you have made. Tap it, then choose to open it with another app.
5. Open it with OpenStore.
6. Confirm the installation of the unknown app

There you go! You have now installed a web app!

It's a bit more complicated than I would have hoped, it's not too complicated. Personally, I've bookmarked the click-build folder to help expedite the process.

I was able to find the location in the file system by looking at https://github.com/timsueberkrueb/webber...-657737343
(08-06-2020, 05:12 PM)RandomN00B Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 11:05 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:

I ended up getting Webber to work!

It is a bit more complicated than just making the app, though. You create the app through Webber, then you do the following:
1. Open the File Manager app
2. Show hidden files
3. Navigate to `/cache/webber.timsuberkreub/click-build/'
4. You will see a .click file for the most recent app you have made. Tap it, then choose to open it with another app.
5. Open it with OpenStore.
6. Confirm the installation of the unknown app

There you go! You have now installed a web app!

It's a bit more complicated than I would have hoped, it's not too complicated. Personally, I've bookmarked the click-build folder to help expedite the process.

I was able to find the location in the file system by looking at https://github.com/timsueberkrueb/webber...-657737343
You can also just write a shell script to do it with you inputting the .click file name 'read filename' and put $filename in your shell script where you need it to be the input. That's what I ended up doing last night.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to make a phone call bingo600 4 6,817 07-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Last Post: israel