Unable to send SMS on US Mobile GSM (T-Mobile MVNO)
I'm able to receive SMS texts, and I can both send and receive phone calls, but I haven't been able to get SMS sending to work. I'm using the correct +1123-4567 number format. I've tried both chatty and modem-manager-gui, but the issue seems to lie somewhere between modem-manager and the actual modem.

Steps to reproduce and debug:
1. Send SMS via chatty
2. Run mmcli -m 0 --messaging-list-sms
Quote:    /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/5 (unknown)
3. Run mmcli -m 0 -s 5

Quote:-----------------------------
  General    |      dbus path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/5
  -----------------------------
  Content    |          number: +1XXXXXXXXXX
            |            text: test
  -----------------------------
  Properties |        pdu type: submit
            | delivery report: requested
4. Explicitly tell mmcli to send the message, by running mmcli -v -m 0 -s 5 --send

Quote:[03 Jul 2020, 13:39:45] [Debug] Assuming '5' is the SMS index
[03 Jul 2020, 13:39:45] [Debug] ModemManager process found at ':1.9'
[03 Jul 2020, 13:39:45] [Debug] SMS found at '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/5'

error: couldn't send the SMS: 'Timeout was reached'

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Sorry for the duplicate post. I was switching windows around when I submitted the post the first time, and I missed the notice that my post would have to be approved by a moderator.
(07-03-2020, 01:04 PM)NoahAndrews Wrote: Sorry for the duplicate post. I was switching windows around when I submitted the post the first time, and I missed the notice that my post would have to be approved by a moderator.
No problem, I've already deleted the older post.

(I've had the double post due to dreaded accidental double mouse button push :-).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Which version, release, or nightly build are you using ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
The Mobian July 03 nightly build is working on my Brave Heart running on AT&T PrePaid network.
"OUT of the BOX" with a few minor imperfections.

But Mobian seems to improve on a daily basis.
July 07, 2020

"20200707 Nightly Build"     ( on AT&T  GSM network )

On a Fresh Boot of Mobian I am having a problem opening my SMS text app.

When I try to open my text app  I get the page     "Start Chatting"  :  then  >   add or activate an account in "Preferences"

In Preferences you have a choice of :  XMPP   or  Telegram  ...    there is NO  SMS  choice ?

**  I have been getting around this by using a second phone,  
                                                       I send my Mobian phone a text, and then I open the "new text".

Once I have the "SMS text App"  open the first time  --   it works great after that,       I can close it   AND   RE-open it.

Huh       But after I re-boot,  it will not open until I get another   fresh     "'incoming text'"

>>        Can SMS be added to the choices on the preferences page ?

Thanks,  BC
You don't need to add an "SMS" account.
To start a new SMS you should be able to just click the "+" in the top left corner and
then either choose a contact (if you have added contacts to the contact list) or
enter a new number with the country code prefixed and once the number is correct click "Send To: <number>"

See the attached pictures.

Attached Files
.png   chatty_add.png (Size: 107.71 KB / Downloads: 400)
.png   chatty_add_number.png (Size: 140.89 KB / Downloads: 366)
.png   chatty_add_number_voila.png (Size: 121.06 KB / Downloads: 387)
I do get screens similar to the first and the third examples you have posted,

>  " IF I have an unopened incoming text in my phone. "  <

But if there are no unopened texts,  I get the choices I described before,
  or now I "sometimes get"  the first (chatty) page with a grayed out 'X' at the top corner of the screen.  ? 
       So no response to 'clicking' on the 'X'

This is now using the July 07 nightly build on my Brave Heart phone,  running from a SanDisk 32gb SD card.  (AT&T /, GSM)
  ( I have a copy of the July 08 nightly build ready to put in my phone, I will update this after trying that one )

Thank you for your responses,  Bill
July 08 nightly build :   Brave Heart phone running on an SD card,  AT&T - GSM carrier

Update :
  From a cold boot I am still unable to originate a text.
When I tap the text message icon,  it says 'chats' in the top border,  and 'Start chatting' on the main screen.
The plus sign (+) is greyed out.  If I go to 'preferences screen' there is nothing that helps there.

If I go in through the 'contact book'  I can place a call by tapping  the handset icon.
but tapping the messenger icon just takes me back to the 'preferences' page...then  'start chatting' page,  ... dead end.

A text from my second phone and the text App works just as it is supposed to.  ( I can close and re-open the App after it 'starts' )
    ( though every incoming text is doubled / separate issue ? )

something appears to prevent the text App from initial starting ?

GLAD I have the second phone !

Once the text App is activated and then closed, I can access text by tapping the text/messenger icon on the main screen
or through the contact book via name then tap message or phone icon.

hmm...  Just looked at my text messages,  and the second copy of the incoming messages has disappeared ?
All have single replies now.  ( None are doubled )
Though the phone did just complete an update.
(07-08-2020, 05:57 PM)bcnaz Wrote: July 08 nightly build :   Brave Heart phone running on an SD card,  AT&T - GSM carrier

Update :
  From a cold boot I am still unable to originate a text.
When I tap the text message icon,  it says 'chats' in the top border,  and 'Start chatting' on the main screen.
The plus sign (+) is greyed out.  If I go to 'preferences screen' there is nothing that helps there.

If I go in through the 'contact book'  I can place a call by tapping  the handset icon.
but tapping the messenger icon just takes me back to the 'preferences' page...then  'start chatting' page,  ... dead end.

A text from my second phone and the text App works just as it is supposed to.  ( I can close and re-open the App after it 'starts' )
    ( though every incoming text is doubled / separate issue ? )

something appears to prevent the text App from initial starting ?

GLAD I have the second phone !

Once the text App is activated and then closed, I can access text by tapping the text/messenger icon on the main screen
or through the contact book via name then tap message or phone icon.

hmm...  Just looked at my text messages,  and the second copy of the incoming messages has disappeared ?
All have single replies now.  ( None are doubled )
Though the phone did just complete an update.

I just started seeing the same thing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,721 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Unable to wake up from suspend xavi92 5 968 10-26-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: xavi92
  Unable to do initial setup of Weather due to keyboard LibrePhoneUser 2 1,020 07-07-2023, 03:29 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Block firefix-esr-mobile-config from (re)installing itself grump_fiddle_reinstall 3 1,455 01-07-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: dcarvil
Exclamation No modems were found: No mobile data, no 2G anonymous 2 1,269 12-26-2022, 06:46 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  very slow processing of MMS received via Ting (T-Mobile) treebeard 6 2,360 12-01-2022, 09:18 AM
Last Post: traut
  DNS Problems with Mobile Data arno_nuehm 29 16,313 10-29-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  Unable to send messages with chatty user641 0 724 09-07-2022, 04:35 AM
Last Post: user641
  Amberol Mobile Music player(flatpak) biketool 0 883 06-19-2022, 07:16 AM
Last Post: biketool
  sharing mobile data through usb tethering deb75 7 4,077 02-26-2022, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton