Arch Linux ARM on PinePhone
Hi @Lousy Fisherman

Are you saying then that your experience (which might be different to mine), is that you always get notified of a call/sms, and the only problem is that the phone might not actually ring and allow you to answer?

Thanks
(11-15-2020, 07:01 AM)moodroid Wrote: Hi @Lousy Fisherman

Are you saying then that your experience (which might be different to mine), is that you always get notified of a call/sms, and the only problem is that the phone might not actually ring and allow you to answer?

Thanks
That is correct. The screen always, 100% of the time, lights up for an incoming call. Whether there is a way to answer the call appears to be random. In some way it is related to the flaky sleep as gnome-calls goes AWOL 100% when sleep/suspend is not working properly

YMMV
LF
Thanks LF - think I might take the plunge and try it as my DDSmile
pacman -Syu 2020-11-16, Based on 20201112 image. 

Sleep and suspend is very flaky. Tough to test wakeup when sleep is flaky Smile
However, gnome-calls now wakes up 100% of the time when in deep sleep. Unfortunately, a large proportion of the time it is too late to pick up the call.
Cellular data works immediately after boot
phosh has gone sideways, there is no way to close apps unless you "hover" over the minimized image. how do you hover on a touch screen? Smile

Mobian (unsupported apt-get upgrade 20201116) has exactly the same issues and Manjaro users are reporting identical results. In addition I cannot get cellular data working on Mobian.

Thanks to all
LF
(11-17-2020, 10:55 AM)Lousy Fisherman Wrote: phosh has gone sideways, there is no way to close apps unless you "hover" over the minimized image. how do you hover on a touch screen? Smile

the cross disapeared because now you can swipe the app thumbnail up to close it.
(11-17-2020, 10:55 AM)Lousy Fisherman Wrote: pacman -Syu 2020-11-16, Based on 20201112 image. 

Sleep and suspend is very flaky. Tough to test wakeup when sleep is flaky Smile
However, gnome-calls now wakes up 100% of the time when in deep sleep. Unfortunately, a large proportion of the time it is too late to pick up the call.
Cellular data works immediately after boot
phosh has gone sideways, there is no way to close apps unless you "hover" over the minimized image. how do you hover on a touch screen? Smile

Mobian (unsupported apt-get upgrade 20201116) has exactly the same issues and Manjaro users are reporting identical results. In addition I cannot get cellular data working on Mobian.

Thanks to all
LF

Hi LF,
   I have data working when using MVNO's of T-Mobile and ATT,  however with two good working ATT prepaid sim cards I can connect to the internet

Gateway,  BUT then get the ATT message that my "account does not include data"... !

My ATT prepaid  account shows I have a data account,  I spent time talking to their "Tech"  and they could not resolve the problem.
    (The ATT 'Tech'  said in March he would send me a new sim card, now mid-November and they never shipped a sim card )

With the MVNO's  I simply put in the correct APN information and data works.

ATT data  'quit working'  on my old Android/BLu phone early this year, so it is NOT a Pine phone issue.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Not sure if I have a carrier problem or phone problem,  it seems to take 30 or 40 minutes before I get a good cell signal, 
  from being "off" and turned "on".

It starts with no signal, then after 10-15 minutes I get 1 bar of 3g,  another 20 or so minutes and I have 3 bars of 4g.

This is sitting in the same spot the whole time.

I am using a Post Market convergence edition phone, running from an sd card, my carrier is Pure Talk (ATT MVNO).

It seems to hold the signal once it gets it,   and functions fairly well,  talk, text, and data all work.  

But I wonder how it will do waking from sleep mode ?
Thumbs Up 
pacman -Syu 2020-11-16, Based on 20201112 image. Meets all my needs for production use. Flashed to eMMC!
My needs for a daily driver are fairly modest, reliable phone, SMS, email, contacts, calendar. A voice assistant is also strongly desired. The only compromise I have made is I reboot at least twice a day, whether it needs it or not.I also network forward calls when I cannot be reached . This provides a backup if the wakeup problem returns.

- At this time there is no mobile data but there has been in the past.
- deep sleep wakeup: 100% of the time the phone wakes up, 95% of the time gnome-calls answers
- suspend/sleep is very flaky
- USB changes are flaky
- mobile roaming not tested
- SMS 100%
- MMS must be manually handled, refer to https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/89
- GPS must be manually handled, aGPS has to be manually handled, see below
- USB/HDMI dock functions subject to USB flakiness, xfce4 has issues with the displays, lightdm is functional
- power consumption is acceptable, the phone will run for 48 hours with wifi, bluetooth and gps turned off

My install process is as follows I use 2 cards for every distro I run. The QA card gets updated first, always.
- Flash both cards, test phone and SMS functionality, connect wifi.

I am a command line guy, everything below is done in terminal.
- passwd

# if you have a USB dock with HDMI output add a proper full screen window manager xfce4, Display Manager and on screen keyboard
pacman -S evolution xfce4 lightdm-gtk-greeter onboard xorg-server xorg-server-xephyr

# following is a sizing tweak
scale-to-fit Evolution on

#  Configure email, and CALDAV data sources in Evolution
# Take tar backups of /home/your_home_dir. This will save you lots of time on subsequent installs
USB Dock and HDMI

Most important here is ensure your phone is fully charged and the dock is powered properly. A standard computer USB plug will not provide enough power for reliable operation. Every single time my environment goes flaky when it has been reliable, it is due to inadequate power.  Always:

Setup the dock, do not attach the phone.
Boot phone fully, login
Attach dock.
Attach USB devices to dock, wait until recognized, may need to repeat, more than once, attach HDMI.

The first time is a hardware test. After letting everything communicate you should see the background on your HDMI monitor. You can start applications on the phone and and drag over to the big screen. Not optimal but this is a test.

Courtesy of @canaac add the following to bottom of /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
[greeter]
keyboard = onboard -l Phone -t Nightshade
keyboard-position = "100%,center -0;100% 20%"
a11y-states = +keyboard
icon-theme-name = Adwaita
font-name = Sans 14
xft-dpi = 100
hide-user-image = true
user-background = true

Set the above up and then test it
lightdm --test-mode --debug

Once it works run
sudo systemctl disable phosh && sudo systemctl enable lightdm && sudo reboot

This will bring up a display manager where you can choose a phosh session (mostly for phone only) or an xfce session (for the big screen)

To enable Phosh: 
sudo systemctl disable lightdm && sudo systemctl enable phosh && sudo reboot

This returns to the original login process. More details here
https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...vironments
https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/XFCE4
https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Category:Interface

At this point the basic system is setup and functional. one of the most useful commands from now on is:
sudo journalctl -f

Enabling GPS
mmcli -L
mmcli -m any --location-status
mmcli -m any --location-enable-agps-msa
mmcli -m any --location-enable-gps-raw
mmcli -m any --location-enable-gps-nmea
mmcli -m any --location-status
mmcli -m any --location-get

If you want to run the aGPS update process as described here: https://gist.github.com/alastair-dm/2632...e555fa6628,
This update is independent of the OS. The data download is time-limited so this process needs to be repeated on a regular schedule.
Before you execute the script the first time run:
sudo pacman -S python-pyserial

To enable the Geoclue daemon to accesss the GPS you need to add a new rule to the PolicyKit daemon
sudo vi /etc/polkit-l/rules.d/51-gps.rules and add the following:

polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
  if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Device.Control")
      && (subject.user == "geoclue")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
  if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Location")
      && (subject.user == "geoclue")) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
});

Run the following python script to test:
#!/usr/bin/python3
# implements a GeoClueSimpleObject
# https://www.freedesktop.org/software/geo...imple.html
import gi
gi.require_version('Geoclue', '2.0')
from gi.repository  import Geoclue
clue = Geoclue.Simple.new_sync('kalliope.desktop',Geoclue.AccuracyLevel.EXACT,None)
location = clue.get_location()
print(location.get_property('latitude'), location.get_property('longitude'))

In addition to the above I have a fully working Kalliope voice assistant built, however, the Arch aarch64 build process needs a little (lot) more work before I release it, lol

Thanks to everyone's work. As far as I am concerned, while not complete, this is a functional, usable phone. With the dock it is extremely easy to work on the system and I am continually amazed at how fast the hardware interface is being debugged. 

HTH
LF
I think you misunderstood the AGPS part - it needs to be done every time you need to get a first fix quickly, not just once. The data it uploads is valid for a limited time period. The persistent part is the 'AT+QGPSXTRA=1' setting which needs a modem restart to take effect if changed.

Also the script is very much proof-of-concept - if you're using it regularly you can streamline it by removing the checks that aren't acted on to save a few seconds of waiting for timeouts.
(11-23-2020, 08:41 AM)wibble Wrote: I think you misunderstood the AGPS part - it needs to be done every time you need to get a first fix quickly, not just once.  The data it uploads is valid for a limited time period. The persistent part is the 'AT+QGPSXTRA=1' setting which needs a modem restart to take effect if changed.

Also the script is very much proof-of-concept - if you're using it regularly you can streamline it by removing the checks that aren't acted on to save a few seconds of waiting for timeouts.
Thank you, yes I had misunderstood. Do you know where I can find the schedule for data releases? I am not sure if I will need to use it but .....

Mobile data has returned, even after deep sleep most times (5 out of 7), it will not shut off now when the wifi comes up. I don't know if it is supposed to.
The story, while trying to set the modem up improperly I got frustrated and incorrectly entered the command:
AT+FU  The modem responded with Ok
With a big grin on my face I entered the command numerous times receiving an Ok each time. When i checked I had cellular data Smile

The truth is I have no idea what I did but at least one of my commands was effective, time for " history|less"

Thanks
LF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Updating Arch Linux _radv_ 8 558 02-20-2024, 09:35 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  PinePhone AND/OR PinePhone Pro Arch Complete Install and Setup mikehenson 2 2,043 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: shifras
  How to install arch with FDE user641 3 637 01-11-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  How to find software app, on Arch Phosh? general_lee 5 1,793 10-15-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Arch auto mount usb example Lazy_one 2 2,760 10-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  Arch with FDE user641 1 834 07-29-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: alpineduck
  No keyboard on Arch Plasma when entering password on document Chief 0 797 12-03-2022, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Chief
  Curious About Arch Ferriah 2 2,052 11-07-2022, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Latest version Arch Plasma looks good. Chief 5 2,306 10-23-2022, 01:53 PM
  Evolution no longer runs on Arch Phosh. Chief 2 1,304 10-17-2022, 07:22 AM