Tutorial for new UBPorts CE users / list of known issues?
Hi! Brand new UBPorts CE user here (as of a couple days ago).

I've been browsing through the wiki / forum and found myself wondering what the best place is to receive updates regarding the state of UBPorts on the PinePhone right now. Some of the basic things I've done right off the bat:

1. Switched from "stable" to "development" under Settings > Updates. This got me on the latest OTA, with more updates to come.
  2. Got GPS / Location services working for uNav, Clock, etc. Thread here
I'm still finding quite a number of basic things still aren't working, and I'm unsure if it's because I haven't toggled them on, or if they're still meant to be broken as the UBPorts devs continue to work. Notably:
  • Camera app is always blank / shows a black screen. I assume camera support is nothing right now?
  • Encryption: Is there a way to enable disk encryption for the phone and/or any mounted microSD cards? Is it enabled by default and I can't tell?
  • For that matter, is there a tutorial or any pointers for utilizing a microSD card with UBPorts? I assume I need to format it and set the filesystem myself, but that somewhat relates to the above question regarding encryption since I'd have to have LUKS set up before I figure out the filesystem. And how would one tell apps to use that SD card for storage instead of the eMMC flash?
  • Touch-responsiveness is fairly low, although I have noticed improvements after changing to the development channel. Can we expect more fluid touch response or is Unity8 capping this out?
  • Headphones don't seem to be detected? I've been having similar issues with my Pinebook Pro, but I'm not sure if the two are related to some upstream kernel thing or not.
  • Is there a list of features UBPorts devs are currently working on, or a changelog of what is coming out with each release? I'm noticing on the Development channel there's typically an update once a day, which is a pretty solid pace, but it is very sparse on details.
  • What's the best way to get started writing apps for UBPorts / Pinephone in general? I know something like libhandy exists, but I was wondering if there's anything in particular that makes development easier? SSHing in to deploy / install should be workable, but I'm not sure I understand how apps are sandboxed (if they are at all) or how once could develop on say stock Debian or Manjaro on a Pinebook Pro and deploy to UBPorts with the least amount of overhead.
Mostly I'm just looking to figure out the general state of the ecosystem and figure out where I should be looking for more information.
Check out https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/pinephone for updates on progress. This seems to be the official 'channel' in which changes are communicated. The README that shows what is working and not working seems to be updated as regularly as updates are pushed. The issues tab of that Gitlab repository is also your best bet to see if specific issues are being looked at.

Disclosure: I'm not affiliated with UBPorts at the moment but would like to be. Just hoping the community thrives.
(06-30-2020, 01:12 PM)Korac Wrote: Check out https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/pinephone for updates on progress. This seems to be the official 'channel' in which changes are communicated. The README that shows what is working and not working seems to be updated as regularly as updates are pushed. The issues tab of that Gitlab repository is also your best bet to see if specific issues are being looked at.

Disclosure: I'm not affiliated with UBPorts at the moment but would like to be. Just hoping the community thrives.

Thanks, Korac! a positive rate!

Why this site ( https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/pinephone ) is not pinned in the forum pine phone-ubuntu touch??

So far is the most centralized and organized site for UBT in PP I have seen.

If anyone else knows another site, please let us know!

Tanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,723 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  online accounts in UBports Uturn 2 4,085 03-30-2021, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UBPorts Not Working Pinoideae 7 9,346 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  Kernel update failing issues KNERD 5 6,514 01-10-2021, 01:49 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  How to enable Ethernet with UBPorts and convergence dock? piney-tim 1 2,957 11-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Last Post: piney-tim
  UBPorts Convergence MonCon 0 2,286 11-24-2020, 04:25 PM
Last Post: MonCon
  Looks like I found a mild reason why UBPorts for pinephone hasn't seen much progress. plainenough 13 17,062 11-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  "No network" on new UBPorts community edition pinephone professorsnapper 6 7,679 10-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Last Post: htc_tattoo
  UBPorts doesn't boot even after booting into recovery defekto 2 4,386 09-30-2020, 12:16 PM
Last Post: defekto
  Dekko on UBPorts PinePhone usable? djvinniev77 13 14,961 09-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Last Post: yurievitch