Mobian other Desktop Environments
(10-01-2020, 06:35 AM)ergo owl Wrote: Hold the phone. Are you telling me that with just 3 commands, 1 file edit and 1 reboot I can have xfce running on my pinephone today in like five minutes? Where can I read more about this?

You can probably skip the reboot part - think you can use systemctl to stop phosh and get to the login manager. I'm no expert though, it's just trial, error and a lot of internet searches.

(10-01-2020, 08:34 AM)nas Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 06:35 AM)ergo owl Wrote: Hold the phone. Are you telling me that with just 3 commands, 1 file edit and 1 reboot I can have xfce running on my pinephone today in like five minutes? Where can I read more about this?

You can probably skip the reboot part - think you can use systemctl to stop phosh and get to the login manager. I'm no expert though, it's just trial, error and a lot of internet searches.
If you install gdm instead of lightdm, you might not even need to bother with editing any configs, since it will use squeekboard if you have it. I haven't tried on mobian, but it worked for me on Arch and Manjaro.

Note: the button to select your session (phosh, xfce, whatever) is hidden behind the keyboard.  Dismiss the keyboard to get to it.
(10-06-2020, 04:41 AM)preflex Wrote: If you install gdm instead of lightdm, you might not even need to bother with editing any configs, since it will use squeekboard if you have it. I haven't tried on mobian, but it worked for me on Arch and Manjaro.

I think gdm brings up its own caribou keyboard. Much prefer onboard but unfortunately doesn't work inside wayland sessions.

On a related note, a physical mouse and keyboard with gnome desktop shell appears to work much faster than touchscreen input. It suggests the lag is not cpu related so maybe fixable in software?

An official gnome3 mobian release would be nice if they could find a decent on-screen keyboard.
(10-06-2020, 07:22 AM)nas Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 04:41 AM)preflex Wrote: If you install gdm instead of lightdm, you might not even need to bother with editing any configs, since it will use squeekboard if you have it. I haven't tried on mobian, but it worked for me on Arch and Manjaro.

I think gdm brings up its own caribou keyboard. Much prefer onboard but unfortunately doesn't work inside wayland sessions.

On a related note, a physical mouse and keyboard with gnome desktop shell appears to work much faster than touchscreen input. It suggests the lag is not cpu related so maybe fixable in software?

An official gnome3 mobian release would be nice if they could find a decent on-screen keyboard.

I love using GDM3 + Gnome 3 on top of Mobian, but that builtin keyboard is awful. I have several keyboards installed, but it indeed does use its own instead. It sadly doesn't scale well with the default scaling, isn't as responsive, and lacks features like the arrow keys/tabs/CTRL/etc. I'd love to force it to use Phoc if at all possible, but I haven't figured out how to do so.
(10-06-2020, 07:53 AM)patrickmollohan Wrote: I love using GDM3 + Gnome 3 on top of Mobian, but that builtin keyboard is awful. I have several keyboards installed, but it indeed does use its own instead. It sadly doesn't scale well with the default scaling, isn't as responsive, and lacks features like the arrow keys/tabs/CTRL/etc.

There is an extension that makes caribou more usable but there are some bugs in portrait mode. Not a fan of squeekboard so hoping something more like the ubports keyboard could be implemented (until a keyboard case comes along). In the meantime,  favouring x11 over the wayland login.
Estou muito feliz usando meu pinephone convergence com mobian gdm3 para escolher entre gnome lxde e phosh, por hora estou usando o gnome pois não consegui configurar lxde para menor resolução. O gdm3 tem teclado virtual de entrada eu testei e o telefone recebe e faz chamada telefonica e mensagens mesmo no lxde ou gnome, é show, de 0 a 10 nota 1000. É como ter um desktop de bolso que faz serviço de telefone.
(10-25-2020, 05:13 PM)Benatti Wrote: I am very happy using my pinephone convergence with mobian gdm3 to choose between gnome lxde and phosh, for now I am using gnome because I was unable to configure lxde to lower resolution. The gdm3 has an input virtual keyboard I tested and the phone receives and makes phone calls and messages even on the lxde or gnome, it's a show, from 0 to 10 note 1000. It's like having a pocket desktop that does phone service.

Would be nice to have a pocket desktop with a touch display and mechanical keyboard. The smartphone/convergence idea is mostly redundant if the old handtop/umpc form factor can be revived successfully with arm chips. 

[Image: 20090109070431.jpg]

Wink
Not sure if this is where to post this... but I just saw this YouTube video about "edex-ui"... basically a very very cool console app I want very much on my pinephone.
Anyone know if it's port-able?
The Coolest Linux Terminal App
(10-31-2020, 06:38 PM)Hiraghm Wrote: Anyone know if it's port-able?

cool-retro-term works on the pinephone but it's a bit heavy on the cpu. I suspect edex-ui will be heavier still.
(10-01-2020, 08:34 AM)nas Wrote:

All told it took me about 90 minutes with lightdm and xfce on both mobian and arch. 60 minutes for the first one, 30 for the second. The immediate issue I have is my cursor flickers an awful lot. Turning Display compositing off in window tweaks stops the flickering but causes display issues. Still searching for a fix.

Do not stop phosh, lol. that will stop you, phosh is it's own display manager. systemctl enable lightdm and then reboot. There is a button at the top that lets you choose a phosh or xfce session. Choosing phosh will lead you to the phosh login screen. Logging in again will launch you into phosh. with light dm running in the background. Not optimal when in phone mode. I think phosh should offer the same session type choice functionality. I find it best to disable lightdm when finished in desktop mode and enable it just before you reboot and attach the dock to start working as if a desktop..

Thank you very much for the lightdm config entry

Still testing the Nov 10 late evening apt update version. 100% of the time the screen lights up from deep sleep on an incoming call. Unfortunately gnome-calls does not always seem to pick. Almost there.......

Thank you to those still pounding away at the hardware, your progress is extremely impressive!

YMMV
LF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,515 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,715 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,688 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,799 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,390 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy