Screen won't shut off when fully closed
I received my PBP about a week ago. It's running the default Manjaro OS.

I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problem I do as I haven't heard anyone mention it.

When I put the screen all the way down it stays on.

When the screen is about 1 to 2 inches from being closed it turns off but when I shut it all the way it turns back on.

When I open the screen it turns off during the first 1 to 2 inches then comes back on when I open it on further.

It acts like it's a hardware issue? I haven't taken it apart yet. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

I have set it to only turn the screen off when the screen is closed not to sleep or power down the computer.

Seems like this issue is also keeping it from being able to sleep/suspend (which I prefer to do manually).
(06-24-2020, 06:17 PM)ZxEfR Wrote: I received my PBP about a week ago. It's running the default Manjaro OS.

I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problem I do as I haven't heard anyone mention it.

When I put the screen all the way down it stays on.

When the screen is about 1 to 2 inches from being closed it turns off but when I shut it all the way it turns back on.

When I open the screen it turns off during the first 1 to 2 inches then comes back on when I open it on further.

It acts like it's a hardware issue? I haven't taken it apart yet. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

I have set it to only turn the screen off when the screen is closed not to sleep or power down the computer.

Seems like this issue is also keeping it from being able to sleep/suspend (which I prefer to do manually).

Similar for me, recent receipt PineBookPro w/Manjaro. Screen does not shutoff when I close it. Though for mine, I don't see it shutting off at any point as I close it. Behaves like it could be hardware sensor though I do not know how to verify that. (eventually it times out and shuts off like when open)
Most of the time, it shuts off.

Sometimes, it doesn't.  If I then lift the screen one or two inches, it shuts off again.  Then I can close it all the way, and it stays off.

But most of the time, it shuts off.  It usually takes a few seconds after I close it all the way.

I suspect there is some software switch that sometimes doesn't work.  Just like my bluetooth mouse sometimes doesn't work.  Usually I have to reboot, then delete the mouse from Bluetooth and add it again.  

Things here are a bit finicky, not as stable as a machine that costs five or ten times as much, but I believe the hardware is fine, it's just a software something or other.
(06-25-2020, 10:30 PM)Phillip Bell Wrote: Most of the time, it shuts off.

Sometimes, it doesn't.  If I then lift the screen one or two inches, it shuts off again.  Then I can close it all the way, and it stays off.

But most of the time, it shuts off.  It usually takes a few seconds after I close it all the way.

I suspect there is some software switch that sometimes doesn't work.  Just like my bluetooth mouse sometimes doesn't work.  Usually I have to reboot, then delete the mouse from Bluetooth and add it again.  

Things here are a bit finicky, not as stable as a machine that costs five or ten times as much, but I believe the hardware is fine, it's just a software something or other.

That would be great if it is "a software something or other" though what, and how to verify ?

Is there a Manjaro expert who could address this ? I am happy to run a test or three if I knew what to look for and where ?
found this in a different thread...

\When the "lid close" event is set to just blank the screen it works fine for me (it stays off) but when I set the lid close event to "Sleep" the pbp seems to already be "Woke" when I flip it open. Not sure if my refrigirator light actually goes off either though.

I've noticed there is a magnet in the screen bezel (bottom right) Using another magnet I can toggle the switch (right of backspace key). It could be they are not perfectly alligned and the bezel magnet overshoots the target a bit but because it's a disk shaped magnet the field extending from the edges may be the opposite polarity.
Is it an issue with the hall effect sensor on the daughter board?
hello Every one.

Got my Pinebook last week and I have the issue.
When I close the lid the screen goes black but only for a few seconds.
If I put a magnet near the backspace key it is the same, it blanked the screen but only for a few seconds.
So it seems the problem is not the magnet near the screen that is not aligned.
install a bsp-based u-boot. i still use mrfixit's v2.0 and have an installer in pbp-tools.
(07-26-2020, 09:30 AM)xmixahlx Wrote: install a bsp-based u-boot. i still use mrfixit's v2.0 and have an installer in pbp-tools.

Thx for the answer. As i am using the stock manjaro on the pbp I installed the uboot-pinebookpro-bsp package but all it changed is that now the sleep option disappeared Smile
if I close the lid or put a magnet near the backspace, it still blank the screen for few seconds only

****Edit****
I got the sleep option back, that was an error in the /etc/systemd/sleep.conf ...
(07-26-2020, 10:36 AM)nodorf Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 09:30 AM)xmixahlx Wrote: install a bsp-based u-boot. i still use mrfixit's v2.0 and have an installer in pbp-tools.

Thx for the answer. As i am using the stock manjaro on the pbp I installed the uboot-pinebookpro-bsp package but all it changed is that now the sleep option disappeared Smile
if I close the lid or put a magnet near the backspace, it still blank the screen for few seconds only

I just tried with a fresh sd card Debian install and it is going to sleep/suspend ok, but it is not possible to wake it up. I had to shut it down pressing the power button and starting over again.
So it really seems not to be hardware issue. I am updating Debian and will have a look to the config to see if I can wake it up properly.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Black screen by start up bluedemon382 10 2,792 07-27-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  PBP blank screen after updating Manjaro Franko 6 1,870 04-01-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: hacknix
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,829 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Question Pinebook Pro shows only bright white screen when powered on Sean Whitton 3 1,882 07-22-2022, 01:19 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Looking for Screen LCD Panel for the Pinebook Pro gerstavros 3 2,642 05-09-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: gerstavros
  Putting my screen on TV S265 6 4,593 10-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Last Post: ajawadmahmoud
  Screen refresh delay with kernel errors shawnanastasio 31 37,758 04-27-2021, 02:57 AM
Last Post: james64
  Novice question: Pinebook Pro does boot (does it?) but black screen Gert V. 21 19,133 01-27-2021, 10:48 PM
Last Post: rimaille