Trackpad woes
I just got my PBP two weeks ago. My trackpad is a bit cumbersome.
First and foremost, it seems not to be properly seated. Please see the photo.

I'm not quite sure if it is an assembly problem that I can fix, or if they "just are like that". Any idea?

Next, I have trouble to get a three finger tap to be recognized (middle mouse button), so I have configured Manjaro/KDE to take a right top and left top corner tap as middle button. According to xev (xorg-xev package) no three finger tap ever gets detected. The two finger tap for right mouse button is also not registered half the time.

I don't think that my device was made in 2019, should I do the keyboard firmware update? Or how can I tell if mine is from last year or this one?

Attached Files
.jpg   2020-06-07_11.15.46_m.jpg (Size: 306.71 KB / Downloads: 441)
(06-14-2020, 10:47 AM)robt Wrote: I just got my PBP two weeks ago. My trackpad is a bit cumbersome.

I'm not quite sure if it is an assembly problem that I can fix, or if they "just are like that". Any idea?

Next, I have trouble to get a three finger tap to be recognized (middle mouse button), so I have configured Manjaro/KDE to take a right top and left top corner tap as middle button. According to xev (xorg-xev package) no three finger tap ever gets detected. The two finger tap for right mouse button is also not registered half the time.

I don't think that my device was made in 2019, should I do the keyboard firmware update? Or how can I tell if mine is from last year or this one?
I too have an issue with track pad, though mine on the left side is depressed enough that you can feel a ridge on one side but not the other. If your device came with Manjaro than it was assembled in 2020 and should have updated track pad and keyboard.
(06-14-2020, 10:47 AM)robt Wrote: I just got my PBP two weeks ago. My trackpad is a bit cumbersome.

Mine is the same.
The trackpad is the worst piece of hardware on this box, but it's still a great box, for the price, IMO.

I don't even use the trackpad, and mine is seated correctly. It doesn't track well, doesn't click well. It's not worth my time. I just use a bluetooth mouse (I found one with rechargeable USB-C that works pretty well).
Thanks for your feedback, people.

I'm actually not unhappy with the trackpad, I work my way around the things that it doesn't do well. Scrolling on the right edge and along the bottom works great, the rest with the built-in buttons and corner taps. It's just strange that it says a three finger tap should do middle mouse button...

I agree that it's a great value for money, for 199USD one can barely buy a tablet, which won't have updates 2 years from now. I'll be using a mouse for longer sessions, but traveling light and when restricted (no mouse usage on the balcony - a prime location for the PBP!) the touchpad will do.
(06-14-2020, 02:39 PM)robt Wrote: It's just strange that it says a three finger tap should do middle mouse button...
I also had difficulty with two and three finger taps on the PBP touchpad and found it was due to timing and speed. If I put a little effort into doing the two finger tap fast, it works consistently. A lot of effort with the three finger tap speed makes it work also.

Changing the Tap Detection Maximum Time setting (in the Manjaro Touchpad settings) from 180 to 250 ms enabled me to do the two and three finger taps at a nice leisurely pace.
I put three fingers down at the same time, no tap registered at all. Consistently. So no joy there However, your post motivated me to have a go at the settings for the tap detection, and now it does work better for the two finger tap as well as the corners (left bottom lmb, right bottom rmb, left and right top both to mmb). No idea why, but it's an improvement. So thanks for your post! Also, I optimised the settings for the acceleration and min/max speed, so now it's really much nicer to use.
my trackpad is also very cumbersome, i have a 2020 produced model, do i need to perform the keyboard firmware update or is that just for the 2019
(06-15-2020, 05:32 PM)robt Wrote: I put three fingers down at the same time, no tap registered at all. Consistently.
Just to be clear, you must put three fingers down and remove them all within the time limit. With the default setting of 180 ms I find it very difficult but possible. Increasing the Tap Detection Maximum time can make it easy to do a normal three finger tap.
Thanks trinapicot, that helped!
I both put the max time up even more, and made sure to tap fast down and up, now I can manage most of the time - after practising on the config test button.

So how do I made a rmb-drag? Ah silly me, with the hardwired button on the lower right side.

Seems I got what I need from the touchpad, let's see if I still feel the need for a mouse after a few days like this.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trackpad firmware update Luke 263 354,215 07-28-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Trackpad film clockcycles 5 4,914 06-18-2021, 09:34 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Lifting Trackpad p3pp3r 7 9,321 03-23-2021, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Timpanogos Slim
  No keyboard & trackpad leads to no display. RMA from the US. Free parts in Seattle BitterPine 4 8,337 12-30-2020, 06:14 AM
Last Post: BetteHoward
  Does this plastic trackpad cover come off? Paulie420 7 6,680 09-17-2020, 02:29 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Mouse drfting when using the trackpad jcarty 1 2,667 09-15-2020, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ab1jx
  Trackpad sensitivity barn 1 2,771 08-06-2020, 01:03 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Trackpad doesn't pick up small movements dieselnutjob 3 4,338 07-15-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: dieselnutjob
  Stuck trackball / trackpad issue charlespine 0 1,789 06-27-2020, 03:27 PM
Last Post: charlespine
  issues with keyboard/trackpad in Manjaro, can't test other OSs joshw 11 12,588 06-25-2020, 08:11 AM
Last Post: joshw