PineTab Mobian
I'm also new to linux (some months) with very little experience. I don't know about realVNC but I doubt there is a linux ARM version. Keep in mind that linux is new to ARM devices. Most linux apps do not run on the pinetab.

edit: there is vnc server/viewer in the sw catalogue, but haven't try.
(12-20-2020, 05:48 PM)guenther Wrote: Jestem też nowy w Linuksie (kilka miesięcy) z bardzo małym doświadczeniem. Nie o realVNC, ale wątpię, czy istnieje wersja ARM dla systemu Linux. Pamiętaj, że linux jest nowością w platformie ARM. Większość aplikacji linuxowych nie działa w pinetab.

edycja: w katalogu sw jest serwer / przeglądarka vnc, ale nie próbowałem.

Znam ten program stąd: https://www.realvnc.com/en/ Jest wersja ARM dla Raspberry Pi. Mam nadzieję, że ona też dała, że oba systemy są mobiańskie. MC Works : D. Jedyne czego brakuje to VNC do obsługi Raspberry Pi.
Has anyone installed, using the installer alpha 1 image, Mobian to the internal emmc flash memory device?  If so what was the process?

I placed the installer image on an SD card and it did not ask for an install location and appears to have installed itself on the SD card.
(02-21-2021, 03:59 PM)fjord Wrote: Has anyone installed, using the installer alpha 1 image, Mobian to the internal emmc flash memory device?  If so what was the process?

I placed the installer image on an SD card and it did not ask for an install location and appears to have installed itself on the SD card.

I'll answer my question, yes, I've done it!

The process is to install Jumpdrive on an sd card, boot from it and connect a USB cable from your computer to the PineTab.  I used an USB imaging utility to copy the installer alpha 1 image to the drive that was attached (verified using dmesg).  Reboot, follow the installer prompts and everything is working.   Quite a number of updates but the process seems to finish much more quickly than when I was running Mobian from an SD card.
(02-21-2021, 08:41 PM)fjord Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 03:59 PM)fjord Wrote: Has anyone installed, using the installer alpha 1 image, Mobian to the internal emmc flash memory device?  If so what was the process?

I'll answer my question, yes, I've done it!

The process is to install Jumpdrive on an sd card, boot from it and connect a USB cable from your computer to the PineTab.  I used an USB imaging utility to copy the installer alpha 1 image to the drive that was attached (verified using dmesg).  Reboot, follow the installer prompts and everything is working.   Quite a number of updates but the process seems to finish much more quickly than when I was running Mobian from an SD card.

Has anyone installed the latest mobian-installer-pinetab-phosh-alpha5.img.gz image to the internal eMMC flash memory device?  I can write it to an SD card and it boots and asks to where to write (eMMC or SD card) but when it finishes nothing happens (e.g. the screen is just blank).
If your audio through the internal speakers seems fairly weak, I followed the advice here : https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...eaks#audio
and that helped greatly.

I'm increasingly using Mobian on PineTab as a daily driver.
I'm trying to switch to Mobian also as my daily driver but can only run mobian-installer-pinetab-phosh-alpha1.img.gz (which runs pretty well BTW) but when I sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade or try to install mobian-installer-pinetab-phosh-alpha5.img.gz I get a blank screen when rebooting. What version are you running?
It was most likely the alpha1 image. I installed it on the internal emmc using jumpdrive as well as on an sd card. I usually upgrade the sd card first and reboot to make sure everything works before updating the emmc. Unfortunately the sd card is not recognized a boot anymore so I will have to restore a backup to it.

There may a be a pause during the initial, or post install boot while the file system is expanded. After that on boot the Mobian splash screen appears fairly quickly, for just a moment, followed by the prompt for the password to decrypt the file system.

In early days, pre installer image, Phosh would crash during a large apt update/upgrade but with ctrl+alt+f1 I could get to a terminal an see that dpkg was running.
(03-22-2021, 03:25 PM)lennie Wrote: I'm trying to switch to Mobian also as my daily driver but can only run mobian-installer-pinetab-phosh-alpha1.img.gz (which runs pretty well BTW) but when I sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade or try to install mobian-installer-pinetab-phosh-alpha5.img.gz I get a blank screen when rebooting.  What version are you running?

Folks,

I have similar results when running from EMMC as well.   I cannot get the current Mobian image to boot fully after it resizes the root partitiion.   If I used a 32GB SD card, it seems to work mostly fine.

However, on the newest software on an SD card, I'm now seeing where it looses communication to the SD card intermittently, which causes the OS to fail ( cannot read from root ).   I get IO errors in a terminal trying to run any command after the issue occurs, so further debugging isn't easy.

Regards,

Karlyn
In this other thread https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=13679 I have instructions on how to install. The latest builds and installers did not work for me and I had to use an older build mobian-pinetab-phosh-20201215.img.gz to get it to work. I had trouble with upgrades, but figured out workarounds for everything. Once you are updated, Mobian is very nice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTab 2 login screen rotation fix chzbacon 11 3,972 03-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: mtomaschett
  NixOS on PineTab 2 asonix 3 2,051 02-24-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Evergreen
  [PineTab2] Issues with Mobian Networking Cornelia Xaos 7 2,556 12-30-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: Cornelia Xaos
  Mobian Boot Problem rogerwegmann 14 3,677 12-13-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Working OS on pinetab RISC-V? user641 3 769 12-13-2023, 08:11 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Mobian won't boot after ton of updates bartgrefte 11 4,609 12-10-2023, 02:47 AM
Last Post: bartgrefte
  Pinetab 2 as Pinebook Pro replacement Corkonian 4 2,193 08-15-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: CadenAnderson
  Software for PineTab-V msm 12 4,506 08-05-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: bingch
  Mobian - Phosh frtodd 1 1,218 06-18-2023, 04:51 AM
Last Post: GloriousCoffee
  Arch Linux ARM on PineTab 1 Danct12 25 29,552 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: fxc