How to set up auto logon?
I've just installed the 0508 version of Debian Jenny with Mate from the Pine64 download site and want to change the logon procedure so that it boots to the desktop without needing my input. I have x11vnc installed but I can't run completely headless since I need to use the USB keyboard to log on before the system finishes booting and brings up X11VNC.
I thought it'd be a simple thing to do, but there's no entry in any desktop menu I can find to change the logon (or even the User name). I'd expect to find it in one of the system settings but no go. I'm marginally capable of editing a config file if someone will just tell me which one, where it is, and the changes to make. I'm elderly but not blind, but did I miss the boat here on changing things via the GUI?
launch a terminal window and enter the following

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

that should give you the GUI you want Wink
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
Thank you. The GUI tool for Users and Groups has indeed appeared. In it, the Password entry says "Asked for on Boot." Unfortunately, when I click on "Change" for that function the checkbox "Don't ask for password on boot" is greyed out and nothing I do will affect it. There must be some deeper-level setting that prevents the tool from changing the setting. However, all other settings that can be changed by the Users and Groups tool CAN be changed. Only the one I want is unavailable. 'Tis passing strange...
In terminal, try navigating to /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/
Use nano to edit the config and add this line: autologin-user=[username]
Close and save.
See if this does the trick Smile
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Good work Luke,

I will dig a little further into the utils aswell as I am sure this would be a prefered GUI method in the future.
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
SOLVED. Thank you both for taking the time to help.
Glad it worked !

Lenny, agreed. The only reason I knew how to do this was because I have Mate on my desktop and the procedure to set auto login is the same.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-12-2016, 05:15 PM)Luke Wrote: In terminal, try navigating to  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/
Close and save.

/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf

I'm not used to configure systems, I was a guess which conf file I should take out of the 5, but indeed this was the most logical one.
(05-21-2016, 06:50 AM)pelgrim Wrote:
(05-12-2016, 05:15 PM)Luke Wrote: In terminal, try navigating to  /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/
Close and save.

/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-xserver-command.conf

I'm not used to configure systems, I was a guess which conf file I should take out of the 5, but indeed this was the most logical one.
On my Pine64+ 1G there was only one file in that folder, "01_debian.conf" as I recall, so that's the one I edited and things have been fine ever since. I suppose all files in that folder are read as the DM boots, so the added line Luke suggested would be read no matter which file it was in, I'm guessing.
I have:
50-disable-log-backup.conf
50-guest-wrapper.conf
50-xserver-command.conf
50-greeter-wrapper.conf
50-unity-greeter.conf

I'm not running unity, so I can rule that one out,
the rest is just guessing.

I must say: I have spend the best part of today to install ubuntu (fast and easy with the image from the forum),
have firefox running (also found rather fast on the forum)
and having auto login and vnc loading on startup
These last 2 I mixed, and I wished I saw your solution this morning ...
vnc still doesn't start by itself, the solution on this forum (or any solution found anywhere so far) just don't work.

I'm a very happy ubuntu user for years, but I'm certainly not a system engineer, just a programmer who want to use the damn thing,
and sometimes linux is just a pain in the ass to get it working right ...
But when it does, it DOES Smile