USB-C charging specifications
If I buy the PineBook Pro, would like to be able to charge it over USB-C, so I can use the same charger I use to charge my smartphone. So what are the charging specs? Is it compatible with Qualcomm Quick Charge 5V/9V/12V? Is compatible with USB Power Delivery? In case I don’t have direct access to wall charger, would like to be able to use power banks, the same I use for android and iPad without having to charge with a barrel connector.
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...wer_Supply
There are at least 5 versions of Quick Charge, which one does have the PineBook Pro? Specifically if it only supports 5v or supports further higher discrete values.
(06-04-2020, 12:24 PM)zxorg Wrote: There are at least 5 versions of Quick Charge, which one does have the PineBook Pro? Specifically if it only supports 5v or supports further higher discrete values.

I'm sorry, i can't recall the specifics, but if the charger you have can supply 5V/3A you should be fine.
@zxorg, I've updated the Wiki to indicate that our Pinebook Pros charge from 5 volt USB-C.

And @tophneal is correct, 3 amps would be best. Some of my older USB Type A chargers only do 2.4 amps, so I keep that in mind if I ever have to use one of them.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
@Arwen thanks for the Wiki update. Actually yes, 3A is quite high amperage for 5V, because high amperage generate lots of heat. Voltage drops along a lengthy cable can be more than noticeable, for example going from 5.3v to 4.6v if the cable is 1.5~3m and the copper section is not high. That's why laptops with PD only allow as a general rule 20v@3A, to reach maximum specs of 100W@20v@5A you need certified cables so there isn't any USB disconnect or self-ignition fire hazard. And GaN chargers are preferred due to more compact size.

For next PineBook Phone/laptop generations I strongly recommend accepting higher voltages in return for less amps. Sleepy
So, for the understanding of a non-technical guy, this would mean that using the USB-C power adapter of my Chromebook (nominally 45W) would not blow up my PBP?
(07-05-2020, 08:38 AM)mlentink Wrote: So, for the understanding of a non-technical guy, this would mean that using the USB-C power adapter of my Chromebook (nominally 45W) would not blow up my PBP?

I have used a 65W GaN charger without any problem with the PBP.
Under normal circumstances they do a "handshake".
Otherwise you could already have problems with voltages like 9V, 12V, 15V and even 20V.

Most compatibility issues I have heard involve Apple devices and chargers.
But it still shouldn't blow up the PBP, it just won't charge.
(07-05-2020, 10:06 AM)jiyong Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 08:38 AM)mlentink Wrote: So, for the understanding of a non-technical guy, this would mean that using the USB-C power adapter of my Chromebook (nominally 45W) would not blow up my PBP?

I have used a 65W GaN charger without any problem with the PBP.
Under normal circumstances they do a "handshake".
Otherwise you could already have problems with voltages like 9V, 12V, 15V and even 20V.

Most compatibility issues I have heard involve Apple devices and chargers.
But it still shouldn't blow up the PBP, it just won't charge.
OK. I'll risk it. On your head it is....
;-)
Let us know if I can keep my head. ;-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 519 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
Question Battery stops charging and NVMe and other media disconnect randomly Eey0zu6O 4 4,629 07-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers
Photo PineBook Docking Deck charging port? ColoBill 3 5,111 02-26-2021, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Paull
  PBP Not Charging wolf 5 6,873 11-26-2020, 03:57 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Not charging via barrel plug anymore LutzFechner 1 2,790 03-01-2020, 11:33 PM
Last Post: decisivedove
  Improving charging of PBP battery james64 8 9,912 02-04-2020, 02:54 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Pinebook Pro - M.2 SSD specifications Please bcnaz 3 5,532 10-03-2019, 10:56 PM
Last Post: bcnaz