PINE64
Mobile Carriers in the United States - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: Mobile Carriers in the United States (/showthread.php?tid=9150)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - laserbeamh - 04-12-2020

(04-12-2020, 03:57 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 03:32 PM)laserbeamh Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 03:06 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 07:47 AM)laserbeamh Wrote: I found it, but it's grayed out for me. 
Yeah that is same for me, it it temperamental! if you exit WiFi settings, go back exit, check Bluetooth etc eventually you should find it selectable  Confused

So you're right on both counts. It was grayed out, but switching into other menus eventually made it clickable. When I enabled it, it behaved exactly as you anticipated; showed up just long enough to try to connect before cutting out and searching for known networks.

@rocket2nfinity I tried a couple calls just now on 4G only and they work both in and out (with audio). Under Modem Details it reads:

Modem Status
    Carrier                   Verizon
    Network Type       lte
    Signal Strength
    Network Status    Registered

So it seems promising! If there's anything else I can test, let me know!

Yes. Please type the following in terminal and tell me the output of the section under org.ofono.radiosettings and org.ofono.connection manager. I'm specifically looking for connection bearer info cs-preferred or ps-preferred and what bearer says under radio settings.

I want to caution you to scrub the IMEI, phone number, serial number and personal identifying info if you post the whole output here. Here is the command:

/usr/share/ofono/scripts/list-modems

I'm running debian+phosh and I think they actually removed ofono and are relying on ModemManager instead, so I've pulled out the results of mmcli -m 0 instead. The part I think is most relevant is the "carrier config" under Hardware that says "carrier config: hVoLTE-Verizon"

The full log is here. I've taken out everything I know to be personal information, but if you see anything else, please let me know!

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - rocket2nfinity - 04-12-2020

(04-12-2020, 05:45 PM)laserbeamh Wrote:
Yeah that is same for me, it it temperamental! if you exit WiFi settings, go back exit, check Bluetooth etc eventually you should find it selectable  Confused

So you're right on both counts. It was grayed out, but switching into other menus eventually made it clickable. When I enabled it, it behaved exactly as you anticipated; showed up just long enough to try to connect before cutting out and searching for known networks.

@rocket2nfinity I tried a couple calls just now on 4G only and they work both in and out (with audio). Under Modem Details it reads:

Modem Status
    Network Type       lte
    Signal Strength

Yes. Please type the following in terminal and tell me the output of the section under org.ofono.radiosettings and org.ofono.connection manager. I'm specifically looking for connection bearer info cs-preferred or ps-preferred and what bearer says under radio settings.

I want to caution you to scrub the IMEI, phone number, serial number and personal identifying info if you post the whole output here. Here is the command:

I'm running debian+phosh and I think they actually removed ofono and are relying on ModemManager instead, so I've pulled out the results of mmcli -m 0 instead. The part I think is most relevant is the "carrier config" under Hardware that says "carrier config: hVoLTE-Verizon"

The full log is here. I've taken out everything I know to be personal information, but if you see anything else, please let me know!

Well I finally have my answer. The Pinephone can do VoLTE out of the box, and is already whitelisted with Verizon. Wow and congratulations.  Can you do me a favor - I'm not using Debian-phosh. Does it have any settings in network configuration to turn VoLTE on or off? Something like HD Voice, Enhanced LTE or just VoLTE? How about for WiFi calling?

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - laserbeamh - 04-12-2020

Glad to hear you got your answer!

I took a look all throughout and couldn't find anything. @a-wai is the dev and could probably answer a lot better than I could, or maybe @bcnaz

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - boggle - 04-13-2020

(04-12-2020, 07:47 AM)laserbeamh Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 04:34 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 08:37 AM)laserbeamh Wrote: Also on Debian/Phosh
I know you asked about hotspotting in the other thread. I don't see how to set up a hotspot, but if you let me know where it is, I'll give it a shot!

Once you have mobile data running, goto Settings/WiFi and make sure WiFi is on. Then select the 3 dot settings icon at top between WiFi slider and X and select Hotspot.

(It will enable for about 30 seconds, if you are exceedingly quick you may even connect to it, then it will crash when modemmanager re-scans available WiFi networks. If so this is known issue already logged on GitLab )

I found it, but it's grayed out for me. I tried while connected to a network, after having forgotten all known networks, and with wifi off and nothing worked. I restarted the ModemManger service as well, but to no avail.

@neverused I'm sorry, I should have specified. I'm using a postpaid Verizon account. I'm not sure how much of a difference (if any) there is between pre- and postpaid from a service standpoint, but postpaid is nearly functional.

So Verizon had no qualms about registering your pinephone? I've heard they are particular about what devices they will allow in their network.

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - laserbeamh - 04-13-2020

(04-13-2020, 02:07 PM)boggle Wrote:
I know you asked about hotspotting in the other thread. I don't see how to set up a hotspot, but if you let me know where it is, I'll give it a shot!

Once you have mobile data running, goto Settings/WiFi and make sure WiFi is on. Then select the 3 dot settings icon at top between WiFi slider and X and select Hotspot.

(It will enable for about 30 seconds, if you are exceedingly quick you may even connect to it, then it will crash when modemmanager re-scans available WiFi networks. If so this is known issue already logged on GitLab )

I found it, but it's grayed out for me. I tried while connected to a network, after having forgotten all known networks, and with wifi off and nothing worked. I restarted the ModemManger service as well, but to no avail.

@neverused I'm sorry, I should have specified. I'm using a postpaid Verizon account. I'm not sure how much of a difference (if any) there is between pre- and postpaid from a service standpoint, but postpaid is nearly functional.

So Verizon had no qualms about registering your pinephone? I've heard they are particular about what devices they will allow in their network.

Honestly, I just popped the sim in. There wasn't really much of a registration process. Mobile data took a little finesse, but overall it worked without any issue!

According to their BYOP page, the pinephone doesn't work with Verizon, so I'm not entirely sure what happened there.

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - 33YN2 - 04-13-2020

(04-12-2020, 06:05 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 03:06 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: Yeah that is same for me, it it temperamental! if you exit WiFi settings, go back exit, check Bluetooth etc eventually you should find it selectable  Confused

Modem Status
    Network Type       lte
    Signal Strength

Well I finally have my answer. The Pinephone can do VoLTE out of the box, and is already whitelisted with Verizon. Wow and congratulations.  Can you do me a favor - I'm not using Debian-phosh. Does it have any settings in network configuration to turn VoLTE on or off? Something like HD Voice, Enhanced LTE or just VoLTE? How about for WiFi calling?

VoLTE is not supported by any of the distros. It's only the modem that supports the feature. Same for Wifi calling. It's unlikely we'll be seeing support for that for a long time, as it's pretty complex as i hear, and it's also not a priority compared to other stuff.

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - rocket2nfinity - 04-13-2020

(04-13-2020, 02:10 PM)laserbeamh Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 02:07 PM)boggle Wrote:

Honestly, I just popped the sim in. There wasn't really much of a registration process. Mobile data took a little finesse, but overall it worked without any issue!

According to their BYOP page, the pinephone doesn't work with Verizon, so I'm not entirely sure what happened there.

What is likely happening is that unless Pine64 block registered the Pinephone IMEIs with Verizon, all they see is a generic BYOD device with a Verizon certified Questel modem and allowed it on their Network.

(04-13-2020, 10:21 PM)Aberts10 Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 06:05 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(04-12-2020, 03:32 PM)laserbeamh Wrote: So you're right on both counts. It was grayed out, but switching into other menus eventually made it clickable. When I enabled it, it behaved exactly as you anticipated; showed up just long enough to try to connect before cutting out and searching for known networks.

Modem Status
    Network Type       lte
    Signal Strength

VoLTE is not supported by any of the distros. It's only the modem that supports the feature. Same for Wifi calling. It's unlikely we'll be seeing support for that for a long time, as it's pretty complex as i hear, and it's also not a priority compared to other stuff.

Apparently, it doesn't have to be supported by a distro. It just is. The only support that would be nice is the option to change network settings to LTE data only (circuit switched call) mode to conserve power. Since VoLTE is the future, having it on by default is good. But while the old circuit switched network still exists, it might be a nice option to revert to it for the power consumption benefits. I'm thinking all that might take is an ofono or AT command to change network type preference. Support for WiFi calling I don't know.

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - wi_badger - 04-27-2020

Thanks, everyone on this thread for all the info about Debian+Phosh, it seems by far the most functional package right now, enough that it seemed time to get connected with a carrier and start using my pinephone on a daily basis, at least in parallel with my archaic flip phone.
Well, as I said above, I was going to use Mint mobile, which really was a function of buying their $1 SIM just so self-test could check the modem, but when I actually got on the phone with them, it turns out that they are using T-Mobile infrastructure, which is extremely lousy in my area, so I backed out and had to think about it all.
Ended up buying a Net10 prepaid SIM locally, and getting it set up was really simple and straightforward, took 15 - 20 minutes, tops, phone sends / receives calls and receives SMS ... but I am having trouble with sending SMS via the Chat app, probably overlooking something simple.
The Net10 package I bought contained 3 different SIM's, for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon, + 30 days prepaid service. I used the AT&T one, seemed to have the best coverage of my area.

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - dukla2000 - 04-28-2020

Working pretty well now, at least with Debian/phosh.

RE: Mobile Carriers in the United States - brb78 - 05-12-2020

Has anyone gotten in-coming texts working on Verizon? if so, how?