PINE64
debian+phosh running on PinePhone - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: debian+phosh running on PinePhone (/showthread.php?tid=9016)

RE: debian+phosh running on PinePhone - Hiraghm - 08-03-2020

(08-03-2020, 05:45 AM)cefre00 Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 02:33 AM)cefre00 Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 06:41 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 10:18 AM)Boern Wrote:
(04-14-2020, 10:05 AM)bcnaz Wrote: ?  IS an  'Android Icon'  really needed on a Pinephone desktop running Debian/Phosh  ?

It's a free phone. We'll put any icon we damn well please on our phone. :-p
@Boem

SORRY  !

Not my intent to Provoke  or  Offend anyone

Open Source is for everybody.

OFF!!!

I don't think anybody should be offended by this totally valid question. When the Pinephone Brave Heart was announced and could be bought many other Linux sites got flooded with questions like: whatsapp, messenger, android, etc. The only thing why these people were interested because the Pinephone is cheaper then a Samsung Galaxy whateverthefreck.

Jesus in heaven, this is a damn Linux phone if you want android go and buy an android phone. If you don't like Google, than use LineageOS or /e/, but people let the guys work on the Linux distros, as this phone was intended to help the mobile Linux endevours to thrive not the frecking android again. If someone wants to have android on the Pinephone, then do it but start a new thread and leave this one to those who are interested in Debian. We have a separate thread for /e/, go there. I don't care.

That is my honest opinion, don't really care if I offend anyone. Cool

I just would like to apologize for my comments above here. I was over the line and I have just installed GloDroid over my PinePhone. Confused
I behaved like an *ss. Will never happen again.
----

I don't see what there is to apologize for; my interest in the pine phone was because it's not Android, it's supposed to be Linux. This device on my desk I paid the asking price for; therefore this particular pine phone is MINE.
One of the reasons I wanted away from Android is because of the mentality that a device I paid for effectively belongs to Google to do with as THEY please, and I get to use it at their sufferance, as they say I can.
I first got into computers 42 years ago because it was something to do what *I* wanted. Read the Hacker's Manifesto.
If you want a cheap Android phone, there are a bazillion and twelve of them (I counted).
I felt so strongly about this that, before I discovered the pine phone, I was building myself a linux phone out a raspberry pi 3b+, a 5" capacitive-touch display, and a SIM320A cellular module. It would have been 3 times as thick as my pine phone, 3 times as heavy, with half the resolution... but it would be *mine* to control.
If the creators of the pine phone are going to adopt the Google/Microsoft/Apple/Samsung mentality... I'll go back to building that device, and ship this phone back to them so they can use it as a suppository.
That's how strongly *I* feel about the subject. It goes beyond sticking Android on the phone; it goes to the question of who is going to control it.
If a user wants to put an Android icon, or Android on their pine phone... fine. but Android isn't Mobian. I was given to understand this forum was for Debian-based systems. My phone came with UBTouch... fortunately I was able to replace it with Mobian... because that's what *I* wanted.

If Pine64 wants to put an Android icon (or anything else) on the phone I paid for, and tell me I just have to put up with it because it's their "free" phone... I'll happily assist them in installing the aforementioned suppository.

RE: debian+phosh running on PinePhone - a-wai - 08-03-2020

@Hiraghm I suggest you cool down a bit, please.

Pine64 has nothing to do with the software you run, as all software efforts are community-driven. No PinePhone owner will ever be forced to install Android, or Mobian, or pmOS, or any other OS.
But, in the same way *you* want a pure linux system (and I have to admit I'm proud you chose Mobian Wink ), you should grant others the same freedom and not criticize them for *willingly* installing Android (or even trying Android apps on Mobian), if that's their choice. That's exactly the reasoning behind cefre00's apologies, for which I thank him btw.

Anyway, everybody please stay on-topic and let's keep discussing Mobian only in here.

Thanks Smile

RE: debian+phosh running on PinePhone - bcnaz - 08-03-2020

I had a recent nightly of Mobian on my Brave Heart Edition and it would only send sms/text
   BUT not receive any text.

Then,  I just flashed the August 03 release and I could not even open my sms/text app.

Being desperate and a GUI user, I downloaded the Modem Manager app from the onboard Software store.
  Simply 'launched it' and now my text is working better than ever.  !

Voice phone calls work fine both in and out.

( Brave Heart Edition, Mobian August 03 nightly, ATT PrePaid sim card )

Thank you,   a-wai and team  !

RE: debian+phosh running on PinePhone - Hiraghm - 08-03-2020

(08-03-2020, 05:02 PM)a-wai Wrote: @Hiraghm I suggest you cool down a bit, please.

Pine64 has nothing to do with the software you run, as all software efforts are community-driven. No PinePhone owner will ever be forced to install Android, or Mobian, or pmOS, or any other OS.
But, in the same way *you* want a pure linux system (and I have to admit I'm proud you chose Mobian Wink ), you should grant others the same freedom and not criticize them for *willingly* installing Android (or even trying Android apps on Mobian), if that's their choice. That's exactly the reasoning behind cefre00's apologies, for which I thank him btw.

Anyway, everybody please stay on-topic and let's keep discussing Mobian only in here.

Thanks Smile

I'm quite calm. If Pine64 has nothing to do with the software I run... how'd UBTouch get on it?
I thought I made a clear distinction between someone choosing to put Android on their Pine Phone and the developers doing it. It was this line to which I reacted:
"It's a free phone. We'll put any icon we damn well please on our phone. :-p

@Boem"

It's not a free phone, and my issue was if it was said by someone associated with Pine64.
As I assume was clear from my response, as an end user, that's quite in line with my own views.
I do think this makes clear how fed-up I (and I hope trillions of others (again, I counted)) are with being told what we can do, have, say.

RE: debian+phosh running on PinePhone - klick - 08-04-2020

(08-03-2020, 01:35 PM)livanti21 Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 11:25 AM)klick Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 01:49 PM)jjs Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:42 AM)jjs Wrote: Whenever I select the "Updates" tab in the Software gui the program crashes. The rest of the Software gui works fine. Has anyone else seen this or know where I can find any logs for the Software gui? I usually run updates via apt-get so its not the biggest issue. But I noticed whenever I open the Software gui there is a blue mark on the Updates tab telling me there are still update, even after I run apt-get upgrade.

I seemed to have figured it out. I noticed when I updated via apt-get I got the message "The following packages have been kept back" and list a dozen or so packages. After running "apt-get --with-new-pkgs upgrade" it installed the packages. After that the Software gui seems to be working correctly.
How do you open a terminal on the phone to do the manual upgrade? I am currently running Mobian on an SD card and the phone will not install updates through the GUI.
You would open King's Cross. That is the terminal for Mobian.
Thank you very much!

RE: debian+phosh running on PinePhone - bcnaz - 08-04-2020

@klick
Remember this is 'WIP'  I just successfully ran update a few hours ago on the nightly release August 04.

(Brave Heart phone, Mobian August 04 nightly on sd card, AT&T sim card)

B.C.

(08-04-2020, 02:27 PM)bcnaz Wrote: @klick
Remember this is 'WIP'  I just successfully ran update a few hours ago on the nightly release August 04.

(Brave Heart phone, Mobian August 04 nightly on sd card, AT&T sim card)

B.C.
Thank you @bcnaz. Understand completely! I am just alternating between Mobian and UBports and updating both as I go. I have the UBports CE phone but also running Mobian off of SD card. I am not expecting everything to work, regardless of distro, so I am just scouring the forum for information in general and trying to catch up as I go. 

Still not able to make calls out on UBports (Mint Mobile) but can receive and hear as well as send and receive texts. But on Mobian I am able to make and receive calls and send and receive texts.

Yes,  we are on similar quests,
most of my efforts have been on the same two operating systems,
but I think I should at least try some of the other Distro's to be fair and maybe expand my views a bit.
  Bit difficult for me as I am mostly a GUI user,
I was having problems for some time with Mobian and the sms/text app.
I fixed mine by simply installing the 'Modem Manager' from the onboard Software store. (GUI fix ?)

Good Luck,  have Fun,  B.C.

( Brave Heart phone, Mobian nightly August 04 on sd card, AT&T sim card )

(08-04-2020, 03:28 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Yes,  we are on similar quests,
most of my efforts have been on the same two operating systems,
but I think I should at least try some of the other Distro's to be fair and maybe expand my views a bit.
  Bit difficult for me as I am mostly a GUI user,
I was having problems for some time with Mobian and the sms/text app.
I fixed mine by simply installing the 'Modem Manager' from the onboard Software store. (GUI fix ?)

Good Luck,  have Fun,  B.C.

( Brave Heart phone, Mobian nightly August 04 on sd card, AT&T sim card )
Thanks! Were you able to make and hear outgoing calls on UBports on AT&T? On Mobian, I did not have to type the Mint Mobile APN settings, it just recognized the SIM and worked and although UBports recognized the SIM and populated the APN, it did not work initially. I still cannot make outgoing calls on UBports for some reason but no issues on Mobian.

Not recently on UBPorts....
  On Mobian I did have to manually enter the APN data for my data connection.
I found the correct settings in the wiki
       ( First online but that took a bit of work, then there it was easy in the wiki )
Name: ATT
APN: phone

( I do have an early ISO PBP,  then the ANSI PBP,  both still running the original mrfixit's Debian )