PINE64
How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Pinebook Pro Tutorials (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=117)
+--- Thread: How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC (/showthread.php?tid=8804)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC - tophneal - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 05:16 PM)mamboman777 Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 05:00 PM)tophneal Wrote: Yes. And yes it should. I didn't read that post as well as I should have, I think. I didn't notice the edit with the blank screen details either. Did you flash your uboot to the NVMe or SPI?

SUCCESS!!!!   Now I just need to get widevine going on Chromium.  That's my "netflix SD Card."  :-) 

I honestly do not know/remember if my uboot is on the nvme or spi.  How could I check?

Thanks everyone!

Great! That's pretty easy with the script, luckily.

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure. Since you did it somewhat recently, you could go back to the install you used to do it and check your command history in the terminal or tty. You could also try removing/turning off your emmc, and then nvme. If it doesn't boot without the nvme, you know where it is. I think it's on your emmc, though. That's the second (and most common) place u-boot is looked for. You can test SPI (I think) by booting an SD with its u-boot zeroed out.

RE: How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC - mamboman777 - 01-29-2020

I tend to be a pretty pragmatic guy when it comes to this kind of thing.... What reason would I have to check where uboot is? In the back of my mind, there's a voice saying "leave it alone! You just got it working!" Smile

RE: How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC - tophneal - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 05:59 PM)mamboman777 Wrote: I tend to be a pretty pragmatic guy when it comes to this kind of thing.... What reason would I have to check where uboot is? In the back of my mind, there's a voice saying "leave it alone! You just got it working!" Smile

Only for your own personal curiosity, friend! No worries, there's no pressure from me to do it. I'd advise you just assume it lives on your eMMC (because the SoC looks there first) and be mindful of that if you decide to format it.

I think it is on the eMMC, too. There's another forum where I was advised to not flash spi,yet. If o decide to flash my emmc, for some reason, wouldn't that include the uboot?

RE: How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC - clover - 01-29-2020

(01-29-2020, 05:00 PM)tophneal Wrote: Yes. And yes it should. I didn't read that post as well as I should have, I think. I didn't notice the edit with the blank screen details either. Did you flash your uboot to the NVMe or SPI?

SUCCESS!!!!   Now I just need to get widevine going on Chromium.  That's my "netflix SD Card."  :-) 

I honestly do not know/remember if my uboot is on the nvme or spi.  How could I check?

Thanks everyone!
Wait how did you fix it? Cause I have the problem you had.

(01-29-2020, 06:28 PM)clover Wrote:

Thanks everyone!

I got the latest idbloader.img u-boot.img and trust.img from pcm720s git page (there is a link from the pinebook pro wiki page) and reflashed the boot on the emmc according to the instructions in the origional post.

(01-29-2020, 06:33 PM)mamboman777 Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 06:28 PM)clover Wrote:

Thanks everyone!

I got the latest idbloader.img u-boot.img and trust.img from pcm720s git page (there is a link from the pinebook pro wiki page) and reflashed the boot on the emmc according to the instructions in the origional post.

weird, i just did that (went to pinebook page, grabbed the latest idbloader, u-boot, and trust.img files, dd'd (using these instruction on the git page 
To flash it, use the following commands:
Code:
# dd if=idbloader.img of=<eMMC/microSD> bs=32k seek=1 conv=fsync

Code:
# dd if=u-boot.img of=<eMMC/microSD> bs=64k seek=128 conv=fsync

Code:
# dd if=trust.img of=<eMMC/microSD> bs=64k seek=192 conv=fsync

tried rebooting, it shut off, and won't turn on at all now. no green led or anything. tried different combination and nothing. totally bricked. wtf..

You could try taking the eMMC out to see if you could boot from SD.

Was able to fix it and recover my emmc. now its time to break some more stuff Wink

RE: How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC - mamboman777 - 01-30-2020

Yay! Glad to hear it!