PINE64
Q4OS for PinebookPro - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=114)
+--- Thread: Q4OS for PinebookPro (/showthread.php?tid=8385)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - q4osteam - 05-22-2020

Did you check the md5sum of the image ? The most easy way to make the bootable SD card is just to copy image to SD card, this way:
$ sudo cp q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.img /dev/sdX
Double check "sdX" is really your SD card device.
It works fine on our testing Pinebook Pro

md5sum: 3f24081bffde6770a9067bd0f5b33c0e q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.zip

Is anyone else unable to boot the Q4OS 3.11 image ?

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - TDC_PBP - 05-22-2020

(05-22-2020, 01:30 AM)q4osteam Wrote: Did you check the md5sum of the image ? The most easy way to make the bootable SD card is just to copy image to SD card, this way:
$ sudo cp q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.img /dev/sdX
Double check "sdX" is really your SD card device.
It works fine on our testing Pinebook Pro

md5sum: 3f24081bffde6770a9067bd0f5b33c0e  q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.zip

Is anyone else unable to boot the Q4OS 3.11 image ?

The md5sum matched, and I ran the code just like you provided except I ran it from Manjaro, which names the drives slightly differently. Speaking of Manjaro, do you think that the new u-boot in the 20.04 Manjaro image I recently flashed to my EMMC could be the problem? I know it is a different version of U-Boot because now when I turn on my Pinebook Pro the power LED is yellow for ~5 seconds or so before turning green and booting Manjaro, or the OS on the microsd card if one is inserted. One other thing I noticed is when I press the power button lightly after allowing Q4OS to try to boot for a while, the power LED turns red, and I have to turn my PBP off by holding the power button for at least 3 seconds. Other then the issues mentioned above, I really have no idea what could be going wrong. I am using a 64gb Microsd card, if that makes a difference.

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - q4osteam - 05-23-2020

As far as we know, any u-boot version loaded on EMMC shouldn't affect booting from sdcard anyhow.
One more silly question, but for sure, didn't you forget to unzip the image ?
md5sum of unzipped image:
5db9b87a474033a5bd059af21ba67500 q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.img

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - TDC_PBP - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 01:43 AM)q4osteam Wrote: As far as we know, any u-boot version loaded on EMMC shouldn't affect booting from sdcard anyhow.
One more silly question, but for sure, didn't you forget to unzip the image ?
md5sum of unzipped image:
5db9b87a474033a5bd059af21ba67500  q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.img

The md5sum of the unzipped image matched, and I did unzip it and then copy it onto the microsd card. I am completely stumped on what is going wrong here! The md5sums match, I copied the unzipped image onto the microsd card using the command that you provided, and all I am still getting is a backlight screen! Even after letting my PBP sit for a while, absolutely nothing happens. Thank you for all the troubleshooting steps you have provided so far.

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - q4osteam - 05-23-2020

A feedback from others, positive or negative, would be really helpful. Does anyone boot q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.img image on Pinebook Pro ? Please post any experience.

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - wove - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 07:05 AM)q4osteam Wrote: A feedback from others, positive or negative, would be really helpful. Does anyone boot q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.img image on Pinebook Pro ? Please post any experience.

I have had no trouble with the testing2 img booting from an SD card. It is greatly improved over the testing1 img.

I noticed that it seems to cause a rather high cpu usage (40%+/-). I think that is an upstream problem from the Armbian Buster backend.  If you use screen scaling the cpu usage spikes. (Any DE that enable screen scaling will cause a big spike is cpu usage when using an Armbian backend.) The work around for that is to use the Font configuration in the control panel to use a higher dpi to make the screen more readable rather than increase the screen scaling.

Other than that issue I have found the testing2 img to be very useful.

bill

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - TDC_PBP - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 09:35 AM)wove Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 07:05 AM)q4osteam Wrote: A feedback from others, positive or negative, would be really helpful. Does anyone boot q4os-3.11-pinebookpro.r1-testing2.img image on Pinebook Pro ? Please post any experience.

I have had no trouble with the testing2 img booting from an SD card. It is greatly improved over the testing1 img.

I noticed that it seems to cause a rather high cpu usage (40%+/-). I think that is an upstream problem from the Armbian Buster backend.  If you use screen scaling the cpu usage spikes. (Any DE that enable screen scaling will cause a big spike is cpu usage when using an Armbian backend.) The work around for that is to use the Font configuration in the control panel to use a higher dpi to make the screen more readable rather than increase the screen scaling.

bill

What OS do you have flashed to your EMMC? How long did Q4OS take to boot for you the first time?

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - wove - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 10:38 AM)TDC_PBP Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 09:35 AM)wove Wrote:

bill

What OS do you have flashed to your EMMC? How long did Q4OS take to boot for you the first time?
My EMMC has the original Q4OS release installed on it. I believe it uses the bootloader that came with the original Debian install (MrFixIt). It takes a couple minutes to boot on a good quality SD card. The OS does some stuff, but most of the time appears to be expended on expanding the file system.

Patience can be a real virtue when working with all the OS images on the Pinebook Pro. I will typically start the boot, then go make a cup of coffee, get something to eat. There are different boot loaders, but I am not aware of any that block the startup from an SD card.

If you use a good quality SD card and format it with the official SD card formatter (recommendations from Armbian) you should have no trouble getting the Q4OS testing2 img to boot.

bill

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - jiyong - 05-24-2020

I have Manjaro 20.04 on the eMMC and I can't boot Q4OS either.
Just a black screen and I waited for like 15 minutes.

One thing that caught my eye from an earlier version, does audio work through HDMI with Q4OS?

RE: Q4OS for PinebookPro - wdt - 05-24-2020

I just booted this,, no problem
Started with normal terminal messages, then 2 start jobs, expansion + ?
Since I have fast cards, didn't take long
I think a lot of the problems are from varying quality of uboot,
I stll have OTB on emmc, I think mrfixit's uboot is the best
(it's not really that hard to dd it to emmc, be sure to make backup and MBR too)
If sleep works well, it does not matter if SD card is slow, only for boot, not for resume
When I shutdown, this time, because of large manjaro update, uptime 25 days
I don't think any other distro has comparable sleep performance, will test q4os tonight
--edit--
About 60+%/d,, so like most distro's sleep is --no good--