PINE64
Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions (/showthread.php?tid=8024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - rossk - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 02:36 PM)Lanejosh27 Wrote: I just received my PBP yesterday and have run into a slight issue that I am confused about. I am admittedly completely new to and unfamiliar with linux. After following the instructions to change the default rock username and password I successfully changed both, however I started receiving an error message every time I boot. "Configured directory for incoming files does not exist. Please make sure that directory "/home/rock" exists or configure it with blueman-services" Does anyone know what is still looking for the old name of the directory or how to fix this other than just changing the name back to rock?

That seems to covered here: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebook_Pro#Default_Debian_MATE_Desktop_Quick_Start

Under "Once you log back into your new user..."

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - jazzmans - 01-11-2020

Hey all!
I've had my Pinebook Pro for 24 hours now,  and  I must say, I'm very happy with this device.  It ain't perfect, but it sure is nice!
I missed the first batch of beta machines window by a few hours

I have a weird debian apt problem,  when I initiate anything,  it sits at 'connecting to' for up to ten minutes, without doing anything, then suddenly works, and downloads everything without delays or problems.  It's almost as if the os is waiting for 'something' before finally processing whatever apt install I've initiated.  This problem occurs with mr fixits update script, and never did get any further then 'checking for dependencies'

firefox doesn't work (yet)  I'm assuming it's because of the lack of mr fixit script update.

I did the keyboard/trackpad firmware update without issue.

one other problem I've discovered;

There are two different instructions for changing the rock user to user name of choice on the wiki,  and I can say,  the first truncated instructions do not work properly, and do somewhat b0rk the system,   maybe this could be edited? (I'm not qualified enough on the workings of the PBP to edit anything on wiki yet,  I'm gonna baby step it)

I've  only charged the battery once,  and haven't messed with the usb C display yet,  I'm going to work on getting to know the basics of this device first.

Congratulations to the team who designed and manufactured this device,  it's a fantastic little device, I hope it'll serve me well for a long, long time.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - gillham - 01-12-2020

(01-11-2020, 08:36 PM)jazzmans Wrote: Hey all!
I've had my Pinebook Pro for 24 hours now,  and  I must say, I'm very happy with this device.  It ain't perfect, but it sure is nice!  
I missed the first batch of beta machines window  by a few hours

I have a weird debian apt problem,  when I initiate anything,  it sits at 'connecting to' for up to ten minutes, without doing anything, then suddenly works, and downloads everything without delays or problems.  It's almost as if the os is waiting for 'something' before finally processing whatever apt install I've initiated.  This problem occurs with mr fixits update script, and never did get any further then 'checking for dependencies'

firefox doesn't work (yet)  I'm assuming it's because of the lack of mr fixit script update.

I did the keyboard/trackpad firmware update without issue.

one other problem I've discovered;

There are two different instructions for changing the rock user to user name of choice on the wiki,  and I can say,  the first truncated instructions do not work properly, and do somewhat b0rk the system,   maybe this could be edited? (I'm not qualified enough on the workings of the PBP to edit anything on wiki yet,  I'm gonna baby step it)

I've  only charged the battery once,  and haven't messed with the usb C display yet,  I'm going to work on getting to know the basics of this device first.

Congratulations to the team who designed and manufactured this device,  it's a fantastic little device, I hope it'll serve me well for a long, long time.

It might be trying to use IPv6 which can cause a large delay.  Something like this will disable it for apt*:

Code:
$ echo 'Acquire::ForceIPv4 "true";' | sudo tee /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99force-ipv4

You might want to run 'netstat' in another terminal window while apt-get or an updater is active to see what's going on tcp socket wise.

Code:
$ netstat -tn
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 1.2.3.4:1234 5.6.7.8:5678      ESTABLISHED
tcp6       0    280 fe80::1:2:3::22 fe80::4:5:6:22 ESTABLISHED

Basically you should normally see a connection from your local ip address to a foreign address that would be a debian repo or similar, probably on port 80, maybe on 443.  An active / open / working connection is ESTABLISHED as above, but a connection that is being attempted would say SYN_SENT for example.
If your apt-get or script is trying to use IPv6 it would be pretty clear  as you would see an IPv6 style address (like second line above with ':' in addresses) and SYN_SENT under the State field.  Adding the config file to apt.conf.d to force IPv4 should fix that and make connections quick.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Wizzard - 01-12-2020

I must say I am a little disappointed by PBP. I know, I cannot compare it to my Teclast F6 Pro, but I do. Not even it is bigger and slower, but it still does not support multiboot, what is really needed for me. I cannot play my Atari 2600 games on full speed from Linux, I must reboot to recalbox from SD card. It still does not properly support OpenGL ES and acceleration and the latest KDE. One screw even made almost a hole into chasis.

I think I will wait for Ubuntu 20.04 and then I will decide whether to keep or to sell. I installed NVMe drive and boot from it, but the performance is almost the same, I know that storage speed does not affect the overal speed very much.

If someone would be interested, I am really thinking about taking it further (within EU). ISO model, 128 GB, 240 GB SSD.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - amp - 01-13-2020

(01-12-2020, 01:33 AM)gillham Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 08:36 PM)jazzmans Wrote: I have a weird debian apt problem,  when I initiate anything,  it sits at 'connecting to' for up to ten minutes, without doing anything, then suddenly works, and downloads everything without delays or problems.  It's almost as if the os is waiting for 'something' before finally processing whatever apt install I've initiated.  This problem occurs with mr fixits update script, and never did get any further then 'checking for dependencies'
It might be trying to use IPv6 which can cause a large delay.  Something like this will disable it for apt*:

Code:
$ echo 'Acquire::ForceIPv4 "true";' | sudo tee /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99force-ipv4

If this helps the problem will be fixed when newer (mainline) kernels will be available.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - fpex73 - 01-13-2020

Has anybody managed to fix the suspend issue (suspend and wakes up immediately)?

Also none of my BLE headphones connect, they pair but they fail to connect. A bit of a bummer honestly.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Luke - 01-13-2020

(01-13-2020, 06:22 AM)fpex73 Wrote: Has anybody managed to fix the suspend issue (suspend and wakes up immediately)?

Also none of my BLE headphones connect, they pair but they fail to connect. A bit of a bummer honestly.

Did you update the default installation?
Also, to connect BT headphones:

Code:
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth

I was about to delete part of my post as I removed and reinstalled pulse audio and it works now.
But the suspend only seems to work with the lid close. There is something that wakes it up (device 8-1) which I am unable to disable (only under root but it does not affect my user)

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Luke - 01-13-2020

(01-13-2020, 06:46 AM)fpex73 Wrote: I was about to delete part of my post as I removed and reinstalled pulse audio and it works now.
But the suspend only seems to work with the lid close. There is something that wakes it up (device 8-1) which I am unable to disable (only under root but it does not affect my user)

Did you update the default OS?

(01-13-2020, 08:00 AM)Luke Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 06:46 AM)fpex73 Wrote: I was about to delete part of my post as I removed and reinstalled pulse audio and it works now.

Did you update the default OS?

Yes I did. First thing I did, but for the auto I needed to do a reinstall of pulse audio as well. For the suspend, there is something always enables for wakeup (device8-1) and I an unable to disable no matter what (this is however an issue that happens often with various Linux distro's)