PINE64
Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions (/showthread.php?tid=8024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - bigCamel - 12-20-2019

(12-19-2019, 12:55 PM)Linux-Rob Wrote: Yes, go ahead an bash the first to complain...

Confirms my opinion about the support...

You could accept any comments as a professional organisation and not attack the first unsatisfied customer...

I couldn't find any attack in the comments. Just civil statements.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Arwen - 12-20-2019

Putting on my moderator hat.

Let's be clear about 1 thing, @linux-Rob is not the first person to complain about the Pinebook Pro, and not even the second. (I was not keeping count, just remember their being at least 2 others who are / were dissatisfied enough to complain. And do so somewhat loudly.)

That said, let's move on. If a user has a valid question, and we can answer, do so. If they complain, and we actually have information that can help, give it. Otherwise, let's just move on please.

Hat off.

On the subject of initial impressions from me, I like the lack of branding. No bitten fruit logo, no company name or initials, no Intel inside or MS-Windows sticker. I am not selling their products, so why should I advertise that I have one? The pinecone key is cute enough that I actually like it. I hope the ANSI version has a pinecone key.

Next, I like that it's thin. My first laptop / netbook was quite thick, and it's replacement was also somewhat thick. The PBP feels like a pro device from it's handling.

As for the other report of the 2 USB Type A ports having a thin plastic part that breaks, that's the kind of thing that's pretty un-important for a newish device. Eventually I'd hope they would simply leave it off. Maybe make the plastic on each side of the USB Type A ports thicker on the inside, to make the corners of the hole less likely to bend or break.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - User 6582 - 12-21-2019

(12-20-2019, 08:31 PM)Arwen Wrote: Putting on my moderator hat.

Let's be clear about 1 thing, @linux-Rob is not the first person to complain about the Pinebook Pro, and not even the second. (I was not keeping count, just remember their being at least 2 others who are / were dissatisfied enough to complain. And do so somewhat loudly.)

That said, let's move on. If a user has a valid question, and we can answer, do so. If they complain, and we actually have information that can help, give it. Otherwise, let's just move on please.

Hat off.

On the subject of initial impressions from me, I like the lack of branding. No bitten fruit logo, no company name or initials, no Intel inside or MS-Windows sticker. I am not selling their products, so why should I advertise that I have one? The pinecone key is cute enough that I actually like it. I hope the ANSI version has a pinecone key.

Next, I like that it's thin. My first laptop / netbook was quite thick, and it's replacement was also somewhat thick. The PBP feels like a pro device from it's handling.

As for the other report of the 2 USB Type A ports having a thin plastic part that breaks, that's the kind of thing that's pretty un-important for a newish device. Eventually I'd hope they would simply leave it off. Maybe make the plastic on each side of the USB Type A ports thicker on the inside, to make the corners of the hole less likely to bend or break.
As someone who bought the PBP to get a sleek, simple laptop, I've gotten much more from it than I paid.

Knowing it is a "work-in-progess", while I'm aiming for perfection, it'll come and the PBP is already an always pleasant experience in use.

When the next evolution appears, I'll be ready to support and buy another. Already, I can suggest the PBP to friends who are willing to participate in a great idea and won't cry when the first stumbling block appears.....

It's not for everyone; nothing is....:-)

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - abdel - 12-21-2019

I am very happy about this laptop.
The wifi signal could be better, but that's all.
It's better than what I was expecting.

Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - balder - 12-21-2019

I love this laptop, it's extremely great value and I plan on using it as my daily driver in the future (after I have installed the nvme ssd).

The main selling points for me was the arm cpu (love the fact that it is arm based and not x86_64), 14" 1080 IPS screen, optional nvme ssd storage, and a usable 4Gb of ram.

However, I would love it if there existed a premium version with more ram (8 GB), better wifi card (the current one only have 1 antenna and the signal drops quickly) and better charging (I've experienced that the battery is being drained when compiling on all cores). An ethernet port would also be nice.

I would gladly buy a premium pinebook pro for 400 usd.

It would also be nice if it was possible to buy the pinebook with a 128Gb emmc, instead of having to by the emmc module separate (and ending up with a spare 64Gb module).

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - abdel - 12-21-2019

(12-21-2019, 11:09 AM)balder Wrote: However, I would love it if there existed a premium version with more ram (8 GB)

The processor RK3399 is limited to 4GB of RAM.
Maybe in few years, rockchip will release a new chip up to 8GB and pine64 team will build a card with it, a card with the same size as what we currently have on pinebook pro. So you will be able to upgrade your laptop. But that day, you will wish for 16 GB  of RAM  Big Grin

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - 8jef - 12-23-2019

This is my new baby and I Love it so much..

The PBP is now my travel laptop, and a bit more. From now, whenever I'll leave home and need a computer, I'll bring it with me.

Now, for a more formal review, starting with Pros, Cons, Quirks, Wishes and Others:

Pros:

- Size, thickness, weight
- Look
- Keyboard stiffness
- Trackpad after firmware upgrade
- Default OS
- Updates by MrFixit and all
- Bluetooth (my MS BT mouse always auto-connect)
- Community contributions
- Upgradable, changeable hardware
- Screen is amazing
- Brightness
- FOSS software evolution and support
- Arm64
- Battery life
- M.2 expansion
- WiFi, camera and mic switches
- Metal case
- 5v charging (works with my power banks)
- USB-C charging

Cons:

- Strangest under panel -> bad design, hard to put back, unpractical and fragile
- Cheapest speakers (really bullshit shitty yuk yuk - hate those above all)
- 128GB emmc not sold as an upgrade
- Scarce arm64 software versions (for now)

Quirks:

- Weak wifi signal (mostly using Ethernet with adapter)
- M.2 adapter that I had to cut out
- WiFi switch reset to ON after every update script cycle
- Fingerprint magnet (not since I've applied protector)
- Rough video output (some flickering happening, mostly in VLC)

Wishes:

- RGB backlit keyboard upgrade (or at least a few color choices)
- RK3588 board upgrade (if it brings more RAM - will it?)
- Some PBP specific tutorials (optimal firewall apps and settings, among others)
- Better front camera

Others:

- Applied some sleek carbon fiber lookalike protector
- Using a short 2230 512GB Toshiba BG series M.2 nvme drive (only 2 lanes, maybe less power hungry than 4 lanes?)
- Will try to find a better speaker option/hack. I've already muffled them with foam, and that helped a little.

My gratitude is infinite toward anyone involved in the making and distributing and betterment of the PBP, this laptop is making me very happy. Best investment possible for me! Since my knowledge of Linux is somewhat lower than average, I do appreciate all and every effort made by others to help me achieve the best user experience with PBP. Will keep you posted about my progress, if that can help more people.

Cheers   Heart   Big Grin  Tongue

.jpg   IMG_20191223_124321.jpg (Size: 49.66 KB / Downloads: 343)
.jpg   IMG_20191223_124254.jpg (Size: 57.35 KB / Downloads: 335)

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Jeremiah Cornelius - 12-23-2019

(12-23-2019, 01:25 PM)8jef Wrote: This is my new baby and I Love it so much..

The PBP is now my travel laptop, and a bit more. From now, whenever I'll leave home and need a computer, I'll bring it with me.

< SNIP >

- Applied some sleek carbon fiber lookalike protector
- Using a short 2230 512GB Toshiba BG series M.2 nvme drive (only 2 lanes, maybe less power hungry than 4 lanes?)
- Will try to find a better speaker option/hack. I've already muffled them with foam, and that helped a little.

< SNIP >
Cheers   Heart   Big Grin  Tongue
Great summary.
What did you use for the protector? Do you have link to sources?

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - 8jef - 12-23-2019

(12-23-2019, 02:37 PM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote: Great summary.

Hi Jeremiah,

I've got 2 of these:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3D-Carbon-Fibre-Skin-Decal-Wrap-Sticker-Case-Cover-For-17-PC-Laptop-Notebook/282772284858

Have a little leftover.

The bad with this particular product: a month before receiving it, arrived wrinkled - had to apply heat and lots of care

Cheers

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Jeremiah Cornelius - 12-23-2019

(12-23-2019, 10:02 PM)8jef Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 02:37 PM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote: Great summary.

Hi Jeremiah,

I've got 2 of these:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3D-Carbon-Fibre-Skin-Decal-Wrap-Sticker-Case-Cover-For-17-PC-Laptop-Notebook/282772284858

Have a little leftover.

The bad with this particular product: a month before receiving it, arrived wrinkled - had to apply heat and lots of care

Cheers

Thanks!