PINE64
Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions (/showthread.php?tid=8024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - m80 - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 10:45 AM)MrTester Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 09:59 AM)m80 Wrote: I got my Pinebook Pro on  Oct 31 and so far so good.   I've had a few hiccups, but nothing I couldn't sort out, and I'm really enjoying the machine so far.  I can't wait until there's a KDE Neon image for it!

Sadly Firefox crashes on me so often I'm find it unusable...  but I'm sure that will be fixed in time Smile

Matthew

Please review update recommendations, Firefox stability issues are fixed in updates. 
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7830

Glad to see your feedback.

Hmmm, I've already applied the updates mentioned in that thread, and I still get frequent Firefox crashes...

Matthew

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - richfm - 11-04-2019

(11-04-2019, 02:50 PM)m80 Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 10:45 AM)MrTester Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 09:59 AM)m80 Wrote: I got my Pinebook Pro on  Oct 31 and so far so good.   I've had a few hiccups, but nothing I couldn't sort out, and I'm really enjoying the machine so far.  I can't wait until there's a KDE Neon image for it!

Sadly Firefox crashes on me so often I'm find it unusable...  but I'm sure that will be fixed in time Smile

Matthew

Please review update recommendations, Firefox stability issues are fixed in updates. 
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7830

Glad to see your feedback.

Hmmm, I've already applied the updates mentioned in that thread, and I still get frequent Firefox crashes...

Matthew

I had the same problem with firefox crashing. Tried every suggestion here. The only thing that worked for me was to flash the ubuntu and mate OS to MMC.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - mishakmak - 11-04-2019

I just got my Pinebook Pro delivered, and boy am I impressed. 

What I like:
  • The finish is great and the casing looks and feels solid. 
  • The display looks absolutely great and the screen is a very large portion of the upper case.
  • The keyboard is quite nice, although the ISO layout will take some getting used to.
  • The default operating system, while not exactly how I would set it up, looks great and runs snappy.
  • The computer is very fast and has no problem running anything from LibreOffice to 1080p YouTube Playback and even a modern web browser.
What I don't like:
  • The trackpad is not great. While functional, it feels a bit laggy and makes two clicks when you click the middle.
  • The camera looks a touch bulky. Sure, I may be nitpicking on this one, but the device would look much nicer if it didn't protrude from the case.
Over all, I really do like the machine, and look forward to having it for daily use. If there was an option for a better trackpad and an ANSI variation of the bottom case, I think I would really enjoy that.

-- Sent from my Pinebook Pro

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - richfm - 11-05-2019

So I fixed the firefox crashing problem by flashing Ubuntu+Mate img to MMC with Wizzard's great instructions. However page loading in Firefox and chromium is very slow. I waited for 11 minutes to load www.pine64.org in firefox and gave up. Reading the "connection information" in the wifi icon on the top menu I get values between 0 and 26 Mb/s on the PBP and 60+ Mb/s on my Asus laptop running Ubuntu+Mate  in the same location in my house and even more in my Mint netbook. Since I bout the PBP mainly to surf the inte4rnet, read email, etc online, this makes the PBP virtually unusable. Thunderbird times out while downloading 4 emails! Does anyone else have this problem?I'm guessing it's either a problem either with the wifi hardware, firmware, the or kernel. I like the PBP other features and look but this is a deal breaker for me. What can I do about this?

I like the PBP keyboard but have not figured out how to type an asterisk, @. I resorted to using the character map. I tried using both shift keys with the @ key, CTRL, Pine logo. Nothing works. I looked at the wiki keyboard section but found nothing. What's wrong and how do I fix it.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - zaius - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019, 09:51 AM)richfm Wrote: I like the PBP keyboard but have not figured out how to type an asterisk, @. I resorted to using the character map. I tried using both shift keys with the @ key, CTRL, Pine logo. Nothing works. I looked at the wiki keyboard section but found nothing. What's wrong and how do I fix it.

An asterisk is this * try shift-8.

An at symbol is this @ try shift-single-quote.

Sorry I don't have it in front of me to check.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - brent.thierens - 11-05-2019

The problem is that in ayufan's Ubuntu Mate build the symbols are all off. Can't find the correct keyboard layout there either.
The default Debian build was fine for me however

(11-05-2019, 11:54 AM)zaius Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 09:51 AM)richfm Wrote: I like the PBP keyboard but have not figured out how to type an asterisk, @. I resorted to using the character map. I tried using both shift keys with the @ key, CTRL, Pine logo. Nothing works. I looked at the wiki keyboard section but found nothing. What's wrong and how do I fix it.

An asterisk is this * try shift-8.

An at symbol is this @ try shift-single-quote.

Sorry I don't have it in front of me to check.
The at (@) symbol is above the single quote mark (') key. Pressing shift with that key (') is suppposed to write the @ but it writes the double quote Mark (") instead .

(11-05-2019, 12:58 PM)brent.thierens Wrote: The problem is that in ayufan's Ubuntu Mate build the symbols are all off. Can't find the correct keyboard layout there either.
The default Debian build was fine for me however
Thanks that explains it.  I wonder if Ayufan iworking on this problem

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - User 6582 - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019, 08:49 AM)I’m richfm Wrote:
So I fixed the firefox crashing problem by flashing Ubuntu+Mate img to MMC with Wizzard's great instructions. However page loading in Firefox and chromium is very slow. I waited for 11 minutes to load www.pine64.org in firefox and gave up. Reading the "connection information" in the wifi icon on the top menu I get values between 0 and 26 Mb/s on the PBP and 60+ Mb/s on my Asus laptop running Ubuntu+Mate  in the same location in my house and even more in my Mint netbook. Since I bout the PBP mainly to surf the inte4rnet, read email, etc online, this makes the PBP virtually unusable. Thunderbird times out while downloading 4 emails! Does anyone else have this problem?I'm guessing it's either a problem either with the wifi hardware, firmware, the or kernel. I like the PBP other features and look but this is a deal breaker for me. What can I do about this?
I noticed putting processor speed to performance helps a lot...

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Nappael - 11-05-2019

I got my Pinebook Pro yesterday, and have been very happy with it.

What I like so far: The build quality is excellent, and the screen and keyboard are pretty nice.

What I don't like so far: The trackpad issues, but I've been keeping up enough to know about that being a known issue. Hope to see it improve after that firmware fix. Also, like others here, I have had Firefox instability issues. I noticed that it particularly crashes when I switch a VPN on/off, and also after the screen dims from inaction and then I resume.