PINE64
Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions (/showthread.php?tid=8024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Luke - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 06:04 PM)Watercourse Wrote: I have a problem with a Samsung Evo micro SD which, although recognized by the system, will not mount.
It works fine on my Bionic desktop and a Windoze laptop. I am clueless, does anyone have a clue to spare?

Did you update the image per instructions here?

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Watercourse - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 06:26 PM)Luke Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:04 PM)Watercourse Wrote: I have a problem with a Samsung Evo micro SD which, although recognized by the system, will not mount.
It works fine on my Bionic desktop and a Windoze laptop. I am clueless, does anyone have a clue to spare?

Did you update the image per instructions here?

Indeed I did, first thing out of the box (after i wiped the drool off). But i lost the update link somehow.
Where do i go for more current and future updates?
Gorgeous machine and getting better!

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - mspohr - 11-01-2019

Just received mine about an hour ago.
I'm very impressed! Thanks to everyone who put a lot of effort into this project. Beautiful case and screen.
I hope to use this as my daily driver and it looks promising.

(I did not receive a power supply. Is one supposed to be included? No problem. The world doesn't need another wall wart. )

(Just dug through the packaging.... Found the wall wart in layer 2 of the package... all is good!)

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - neilman - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 07:23 PM)mspohr Wrote: Just received mine about an hour ago.
I'm very impressed! Thanks to everyone who put a lot of effort into this project. Beautiful case and screen.
I hope to use this as my daily driver and it looks promising.

(I did not receive a power supply. Is one supposed to be included? No problem. The world doesn't need another wall wart. )

The power supply would have been outside the cardboard boxes - in the jiffy bag.
You had a choice on purchase of a standard PSU block with slide-in adapter of EU or US power pins.

Alternatively you will need a 5v 3A power supply with 3.5/1.35mm barrel connector on the end.
Or a power module with USB-C output (Raspberry Pi 4 power unit works nicely)

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - User 6582 - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 04:26 PM)zaius Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 02:43 PM)rick1959 Wrote: While I haven't experienced that misalignment, I DID have an issue with the micro-SD card port. Sometimes the card is read OK and sometimes I get errors. Turn off the PBP and uninstall/reinstall the micro-SD card and it works fine.

Anyone else noticed this? :-)

I noticed that the card needs to get pushed in rather deep in order to lock into place, and I need to use a paper clip or some sort of to press it to get it to pop back out.

Yes, exactly. It is DEFINITELY difficult to seat and unseat the card. Wondering if a different card reader might be a solution...Clearly, micro-SD card reader device needs some more polish :-)

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - sundog - 11-01-2019

One day in and it's a fantastic laptop - currently running @ayufan 's bionic lxde image, but with KDE Plasma, and it's been a great day.

Dropping a 1TB NVMe module in tomorrow - much fun ahead!

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Jeffersoniantoo - 11-02-2019

I have had mine now since Halloween night.  Love it, love it, love it.  After doing the updates and installing some software that I regularly use on other laptops, I can say that the Pinebook pro is up the task.  The only issue I have run into was with the USB-C 4K HDMI output.  I tried it last night and when changing to 4K(3840x2160), The right third of the screen is noise.  The rest of it is normal and looks great on a 43 inch 4K monitor.  If I change it to 1080, then I get a full screen with no noise, but I loose the desktop room due to resolution.  I only had a little time to play with it last night, and I won't have any time today.  Hopefully tomorrow I can resolve it.

Has anyone tried the 4K out yet?

Thanks to the Pine64.org crew! 

Jeff2

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - hmuller - 11-02-2019

(11-01-2019, 09:42 PM)sundog Wrote: One day in and it's a fantastic laptop - currently running @ayufan 's bionic lxde image, but with KDE Plasma, and it's been a great day.

Dropping a 1TB NVMe module in tomorrow - much fun ahead!

You want to wait on that. There have been reported issues relative to that, a fix is coming. See Luke's response here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8117

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - jpakkane - 11-02-2019

Does anyone else get a crash out of Chromium just by selecting "Settings" from the menu? The menu does come up, but the tab crashes almost immediately? It's annoying because you can't change any settings in the browser.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - mattjb - 11-02-2019

(11-01-2019, 05:04 PM)Meatball Wrote: I have had problems with the screen though and since I haven't seen anyone else talking about these issues elsewhere on the forum it might be a problem with my specific unit. When I first started the unit it had big problems with flickering that grew when battery drained. It got better when I disabled dimming in the power management but it didn’t go away completely. After some charging cycles I find the problem have diminished but is still present, especially when battery is low and the screen brightness is dimmed.
I have a related problem with the screen in which it emits a high frequency noise which is more apparent when brightness is turned down. Its still present when fully lit though! When there’s a lot of sound in my surroundings this is not a problem but it is quite annoying when alone in a quiet room.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue as Meatball regarding the flickering screen when on battery. When on AC power, it's fine, but as soon as I unplug it, any graphical related activity (even moving the mouse) causes random massive headache-inducing flickering. It seems to get worse as time goes on... It is still present with all dimming options off and happens at any brightness level as far as I can tell. I'm also hearing a high frequency whine when it switches to battery power though I haven't paid attention if it happens at different brightness levels. It's happening on both the default Debian install and on ayufan's rock64pro bionic-mate-pinebookpro-0.9.14-1159-armhf. I'll report back on other observations I make regarding this issue.