PINE64
Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions (/showthread.php?tid=8024)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - tophneal - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 06:19 AM)Wizzard Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:13 AM)tophneal Wrote: Oh, the Android build for the PBP doesn't have Play Store? I was going to try it next, after I figure out how to get it to boot from SD again.

It does not indeed, there are some guides how to do that on rockpro forums, but I was not successfull yet. Either there is no other Android for PBP except 7.1

Odoslané z ONEPLUS A5010 pomocou Tapatalku

That's a bummer, multiple Android releases, but none released with Play Store.

Out of curiosity, b/c I would still like to try out Android, what part of the tutorial given to us has become the dead end in your attempts?

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - richfm - 11-01-2019

I got my PBP, logged in, connected to my gateway, updated the Debian + Mate system. Firefox crashes when I do anything with it. Chrome either crashes or loads so slowly as to be useless. This is very disappointing. I've used linux on many laptops designed for Windows and Linux alway works more or less well. Why am I havoing this probelm? Is anyone else seeing this?

I also updated "WiDevine" whatever that is. Something to do with Netflix and Amazon. What is this for? No explanation.

I paired my bluetooth mouse but lose the connection if I suspend it and have to delete the mouse from the list of bluetooth devices and reconnect it. I've had this problem with other laptops and distributions but thought I would have better bluetooth support in a linux laptop.

Before I install bionic mate, is there something here I'm overlooking?

Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - Wizzard - 11-01-2019

I think you should just install Ubuntu, it is much better customized and working.

Odoslané z ONEPLUS A5010 pomocou Tapatalku

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - noisy - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 07:56 AM)richfm Wrote: I got my PBP, logged in, connected to my gateway, updated the Debian + Mate system. Firefox crashes when I do anything with it. Chrome either crashes or loads so slowly as to be useless. This is very disappointing. I've used linux on many laptops designed for Windows and Linux alway works more or less well. Why am I havoing this probelm? Is anyone else seeing this?

I also updated "WiDevine" whatever that is. Something to do with Netflix and Amazon. What is this for? No explanation.

I paired my bluetooth mouse but lose the connection if I suspend it and have to delete the mouse from the list of bluetooth devices and reconnect it. I've had this problem with other laptops and distributions but thought I would have better bluetooth support in a linux laptop.

The widevine thing is to do with the DRM that Netflix and Prime Video (and others) to encrypt their content. Not updating Widevine means those services won't be usable on your device.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - neilman - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 07:56 AM)richfm Wrote: I got my PBP, logged in, connected to my gateway, updated the Debian + Mate system. Firefox crashes when I do anything with it. Chrome either crashes or loads so slowly as to be useless. This is very disappointing. I've used linux on many laptops designed for Windows and Linux alway works more or less well. Why am I havoing this probelm? Is anyone else seeing this?

Been there got the tee shirt - you need to follow the updates to stabilize firefox & chrome - then it works really well.

Bluetooth, exactly same for me until a lightbulb moment - check the pairing screen and look in the icon bar for the (yellow) squidgy plus shape in the middle - it changes the paired device from "one-time-use" to a "trusted device" which then means it will auto-connect next time.
After that your mouse will connect a few seconds after startup/login

(11-01-2019, 08:35 AM)neilman Wrote:

Been there got the tee shirt - you need to follow the updates to stabilize firefox & chrome - then it works really well.

Bluetooth, exactly same for me until a lightbulb moment - check the pairing screen and look in the icon bar for the (yellow) squidgy plus shape in the middle - it changes the paired device from "one-time-use" to a "trusted device" which then means it will auto-connect next time.

I updated both with synaptic. Same problem. Thanks for the bluetooth solution. Guess I'll try the ubuntu mate distribution.

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - NoraCodes - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 07:56 AM)richfm Wrote: I also updated "WiDevine" whatever that is. Something to do with Netflix and Amazon. What is this for? No explanation.

I try not to be elitist or dismissive but this question demonstrates that you have not taken steps to resolve your questions on your own. It is not Pine64's responsibility to explain your computer to you - and a DDG, Wikipedia, or Google search for "Widevine" will answer this question simply:
Quote:Widevine is a content decryption module (CDM) for the digital rights management (DRM) of the Google Chrome web browser and Android MediaDRM originally created by Widevine Technologies, which was purchased by Google in 2010.[1][2] It operates as an encryption scheme to securely distribute video content to consumer devices. Widevine is free to use by content providers and as such does not charge any fees for license generation or device integration.[3]

I say this not to be mean or confrontational; the critical component for me in becoming very effective at using computers was to learn that almost any question can be resolved by Googling appropriate phrases. If you don't know what a word means, look it up.

Cheers Smile

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - neilman - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 09:04 AM)richfm Wrote:

I updated both with synaptic. Same problem. Thanks for the bluetooth solution. Guess I'll try the ubuntu mate distribution.
Bear in mind there is another (more important?) update mechanism using Mr Fixit's Update Script icon (next to the battery icon).
If you haven't already tried that one, please do.

Bear in mind there is another (more important?) update mechanism using Mr Fixit's Update Script icon (next to the battery icon).

RE: Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions - bcnaz - 11-01-2019

According to LUKES first things to do :
1) Charge your laptop
2)"update" with the desktop update icon. (Most complaints have been solved by this)

(11-01-2019, 09:22 AM)neilman Wrote:

I did this first thing

(11-01-2019, 09:12 AM)NoraCodes Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 07:56 AM)richfm Wrote: I also updated "WiDevine" whatever that is. Something to do with Netflix and Amazon. What is this for? No explanation.

I try not to be elitist or dismissive but this question demonstrates that you have not taken steps to resolve your questions on your own. It is not Pine64's responsibility to explain your computer to you - and a DDG, Wikipedia, or Google search for "Widevine" will answer this question simply:
Quote:Widevine is a content decryption module (CDM) for the digital rights management (DRM) of the Google Chrome web browser and Android MediaDRM originally created by Widevine Technologies, which was purchased by Google in 2010.[1][2] It operates as an encryption scheme to securely distribute video content to consumer devices. Widevine is free to use by content providers and as such does not charge any fees for license generation or device integration.[3]

I say this not to be mean or confrontational; the critical component for me in becoming very effective at using computers was to learn that almost any question can be resolved by Googling appropriate phrases. If you don't know what a word means, look it up.

Cheers Smile

Not to seem mean but you are acting passive aggressive. Look it up. There was no mention of the Widevine in the forum or wiki as I would have expected. I was just hoping to get a civil reply.