PINE64
A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details (/showthread.php?tid=7989)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - embhorn - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 06:34 AM)Luke Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:31 AM)embhorn Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:21 AM)Luke Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:16 AM)embhorn Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 09:33 PM)rick1959 Wrote: SNAFU....Know what that means? :-)

Well, yeah. Latest update: My neighbor came by this morning with the package. DHL just left it on his front porch. Called DHL and asked them to close the investigation.

Package didn't look too beat up, but when I opened it there is something rattling around inside the laptop and it won;t power on. Not sure what my options are now. I'm inclined to crack it open, but I hate that it's DOA.

Lets hope that just the eMMC came off and you have to put it in its place. That would obviously cause the laptop not to boot. Also ... thats pretty poor of DHL :/

Thanks, Luke! I just submitted a support ticket, but I will go ahead and pop it open to see if the problem is something simple like a loose connection.

$5 says its just the eMMC module. Please read this before taking the unit apart and putting it back together.

@Luke You just won $5!!! The eMMC chip was just loose inside the case.

Also, it's very refreshing to be able to access internals with only 10 screws after dealing with cell phone / iPad tape/glue/proprietary-screw-heads.

Thanks so much!

https://imgur.com/FrLqXwj

RE: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - Luke - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 07:23 AM)embhorn Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:34 AM)Luke Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:31 AM)embhorn Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:21 AM)Luke Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:16 AM)embhorn Wrote: Well, yeah. Latest update: My neighbor came by this morning with the package. DHL just left it on his front porch. Called DHL and asked them to close the investigation.

Package didn't look too beat up, but when I opened it there is something rattling around inside the laptop and it won;t power on. Not sure what my options are now. I'm inclined to crack it open, but I hate that it's DOA.

Lets hope that just the eMMC came off and you have to put it in its place. That would obviously cause the laptop not to boot. Also ... thats pretty poor of DHL :/

Thanks, Luke! I just submitted a support ticket, but I will go ahead and pop it open to see if the problem is something simple like a loose connection.

$5 says its just the eMMC module. Please read this before taking the unit apart and putting it back together.

@Luke You just won $5!!! The eMMC chip was just loose inside the case.

Also, it's very refreshing to be able to access internals with only 10 screws after dealing with cell phone / iPad tape/glue/proprietary-screw-heads.

Thanks so much!

https://imgur.com/FrLqXwj

Heh, if we ever meet at a conference I'll take a beer Wink I'll also ask the factory to put a piece of kapton tape over the modules to keep'em in place.

Makes you wonder what the hell DHL does with these parcels ... that eMMC is small (has a low mass) and sits really snug in that socket. Must have been quite a blow...  

Please follow the wiki instructions on reassembly.

RE: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - doc1623 - 11-01-2019

Well still waiting for shipping email from DHL.

Is it an email? I know some people got sms but I didn't give them my cell number.

Looking forward to it. Trying to be patient Rolleyes

I'm much more patient with other stuff... I don't even have prime...but darn this is hard Tongue

RE: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - GLSRacer - 11-01-2019

Just got mine! Maybe calling about it helped since the status changed to delivered today by courier shortly after I called. .. In either case, is there is combination of keys required to turn it on? I have it plugged in but pushing and holding the power key does nothing. Edit: as an aside, the Pine team nailed the build quality! This laptop is really nice! Bang for buck is next level IMO.

RE: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - zaius - 11-01-2019

Try just giving it a long press. Don't tap it, or hold it down.

RE: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - GLSRacer - 11-01-2019

@zarius, I have tried that and I just tried that again. No dice.

RE: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - bcnaz - 11-01-2019

Do you have the power supply plugged in ?
One person posted their PBP arrived with a dead battery.
Do you get any indicator lights when you plug in the power supply ?

Yep, I got a red indication which turned off after about an hour. I was curious so I removed the back cover and the eMMC chip was not seated. It was partially held in place by the connector but was tilted up on one side. I reseated it and tried the power button again, still no luck. I'll have to look a bit closer at the rest of the connectors.

Success! I reseated the eMMC again with a bit more force and this time there was a more positive click. I then hit the reset button on the board and the laptop booted up.

RE: A (slight) shipping delay - an explenation + details - bcnaz - 11-01-2019

CONGRATULATIONS  !
That may be helpful to other PBP users,  "make sure the eMMC is 'Tightly seated' "
Also the PBP will not function without a eMMC module 'installed'....  (?)
 <All the laptop (computers) I have come across will 'live' boot without an installed 'hard drive'.... >
 <(Though you did not mention trying to boot from a 'live' sd card,  so that may not be a valid statement from me  ? ) >  ?

Thanks for sharing

Yeah, I didn't try to boot from another source. When I saw that the eMMC was loose, I was pretty sure that was the issue.