PINE64
The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! (/showthread.php?tid=7725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - Der Geist der Maschine - 08-04-2019

(08-04-2019, 04:14 PM)Arwen Wrote: Or my personal favorite, an 8GB memory option.

The memory controller (a physical block within the SOC) can only address 4GB.

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - orcrist - 08-04-2019

(08-04-2019, 04:50 AM)neilman Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 03:45 AM)orcrist Wrote: I'm concerned about this as well. A 128 GB version is a big seller for me, even if it costs above $199. Is it that the 128 GB version shipping to early forum registers is a free upgrade, at $199, but after that the 128 GB version will cost extra? Or is the 128 GB config not actually going to be an option?

It has been stated that the PinebookPro is a 64GB machine but is being fitted with 128GB for forum members as a special batch. Normal "retail" units will come with 64GB pre-fitted and users can purchase a 128GB module from the Pine shop and install it themselves.

Thank you!

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - Solra Bizna - 08-05-2019

(08-04-2019, 05:17 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: The memory controller (a physical block within the SOC) can only address 4GB.

Shazbot. And here I was considering doing something crazy like desoldering and replacing memory modules to get more RAM. Oh well.

(My current laptop only has 3GB so this is still a step up...)

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - Arwen - 08-05-2019

(08-04-2019, 05:17 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 04:14 PM)Arwen Wrote: Or my personal favorite, an 8GB memory option.

Thanks for doing the research. My google-fu was insufficient to the task.

Are their detailed specifications on the SOC hanging around here? Or vendor site?

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - hmuller - 08-05-2019

(08-05-2019, 08:56 PM)Arwen Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 05:17 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:

Thanks for doing the research. My google-fu was insufficient to the task.

Are their detailed specifications on the SOC hanging around here? Or vendor site?

Your google-fu def needs additional training =):

http://opensource.rock-chips.com/wiki_RK3399

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - Novadale - 08-06-2019

(07-25-2019, 05:13 PM)jaylittle Wrote: So while we are waiting... I'd love to chat about what all of us planning on doing with our Pinebook Pros.  If you are replacing something else with it, what are you replacing?

Personally I've been trying to transition all of my hardware to low powered ARM devices in an effort to both reduce my environmental impact and to try and do more with less.  As a professional software developer, I have recently realized how wasteful we tend to be.  Prior to this I decommissioned my Intel based desktop "server" with Ubuntu in favor of four ODroid XU4Qs running Armbian.  Expanding this project to encompass my personal laptop is the primary reason that I'm interested in the PBP.  I plan on attempting to replace my Purism Librem 15 running Arch with the PBP.  The PBP is by far the most promising Linux compatible ARM laptop to come along yet and I figure with enough time and effort I can make it work.

I replaced my last laptop which was a HP EliteBook 2730p with a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition. There were times I regretted it since I was locked to android and all the Linux projects for the specific device kind of died out. Linux on Android / Complete Linux Installer was not the same. I will spare you the details of my issues with that tablet/android lol. Anyways non removable battery that started expanding and bulged the screen out. In my haste to attempt to remove the battery (without the proper tools because I was worried about the battery catching fire) I ended up breaking the screen. 

So yeah waiting to get a Pinebook Pro to replace the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition tablet that died. I was pretty much just using it as a media player these days watching Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime and rarely used the Wacom powered screen for drawing/notes anymore. Wasn't really aware of Pine64 until I saw reviews of the Pinebook. I am a windows scrub that has dabbled with Linux and look forward to having a Linux powered laptop. My first Linux experience was with Corel Linux (based on Debian Slink) tried running Debian when I bought my new gaming PC ended up going back to Windows because of some performance issues with some directx games. It was prior to me learning about DXVK. I also messed up and missed the preorder window so I will have to wait until Aug 25th when preorders open for the general public.

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - richfm - 08-06-2019

(07-25-2019, 05:13 PM)jaylittle Wrote: So while we are waiting... I'd love to chat about what all of us planning on doing with our Pinebook Pros.  If you are replacing something else with it, what are you replacing?

Personally I've been trying to transition all of my hardware to low powered ARM devices in an effort to both reduce my environmental impact and to try and do more with less.  As a professional software developer, I have recently realized how wasteful we tend to be.  Prior to this I decommissioned my Intel based desktop "server" with Ubuntu in favor of four ODroid XU4Qs running Armbian.  Expanding this project to encompass my personal laptop is the primary reason that I'm interested in the PBP.  I plan on attempting to replace my Purism Librem 15 running Arch with the PBP.  The PBP is by far the most promising Linux compatible ARM laptop to come along yet and I figure with enough time and effort I can make it work.

I'm replacing an ASUS Vivobook L402W which I bought after my Thinkpad finally died. I hate the Vivobook; I get on less than 2 hours battery time just surfing the web on this new laptop. With Windows 10 installed, it kept freezing so I reinstalled Windows several times until I finally gave up and installed Ubuntu. It doesn't freeze up anymore but battery life is the same. I am also replacing an ASUS chromebook whose accelerometer stopped working. ASUS tech support returned the product without fixing the proble so I donated it. Needless to say I won't be buying another ASUS product.

I'm really looking forward to using the Pinebook Pro. The specs look good, the price is right, it is made for Linux. There's no rush as I continue to use the Vivibook until the Pinebook arrives. When the Pinebook Pro arrives, I'll relegate the Vivobook to a back up laptop.

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - hdk - 08-06-2019

The Pinebook Pro will replace my HP Pavillion 2250ed entertainment laptop, build in 2009, running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS without any problem, SSD, 8 gb memory, external WiFi card Delock. After 10 years I don't have to look at the screen anymore. I like a laptop that I own and can adjust.

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - multi.flexi - 08-06-2019

Still waiting to be contacted by the sales team. Cannot wait. Are there any suggestion for the SSD or how to choose the right one? I mean I understand SSD's, just if there is something to keep in mind when choosing for this laptop.

RE: The Pinebook Pro Preorder System! - chithanh - 08-07-2019

(08-06-2019, 04:17 PM)multi.flexi Wrote: Are there any suggestion for the SSD or how to choose the right one?
Yes, sustained power dissipation is limited to 2.5 W, so buy a model that doesn't get hot. NVMe only.
There is a thread already: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7766