PINE64
Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: ROCKPRO64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=98)
+--- Forum: Linux on RockPro64 (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=101)
+--- Thread: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release (/showthread.php?tid=7269)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - pbut5 - 06-01-2019

Just tried on this image like I posted in the non desktop version of your image.

No boot with a custom compiled kernel  it seems to crash as soon as pcie is starting.

I've tried on both your desktop and non desktop debian images and on the armbian image with the same result.

Edit:
@Mrfixit2001 

I have no idea if it's readable / useful but I'm adding a serial log of the error I get with a pcie attached it seems to error as soon as the custom compiled kernel is loaded.

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - Tim Jones - 06-06-2019

Any further news on this?  I still can't boot from 190531 via 64GB eMMC.  I've tried flashing with Etcher and by using dd and the un-xz'd image with the same result.

Is there anything that I can provide to assist?  As mentioned before the armbian variants install and boot properly.  I've ordered the serial terminal adapter, but it's "in the mail".

When I reloaded armbian on this chip, I now can't boot from armbian.  I grabbed an eMMC from another SBC, flashed 190531, and I'm now booting!

Now, it's time to take over the world!

Tim

(06-06-2019, 11:49 AM)Tim Jones Wrote: Now, it's time to take over the world!

Oops, I should have said "Now it's time to ask lots of questions ... Smile

I have tried to enable a 2560x1080 mode for my UWHD monitor.  The results are a black screen that requires a reboot.  Has anyone gotten this to work?  Here's my modeline from one of the armbian runs:

# 2560x1080 @ 60.00 Hz hsync: 67.08 kHz; pclk: 230.76 MHz
  Modeline "2560x1080_60.00"  230.76  2560 2728 3000 3440  1080 1081 1084 1118  -HSync +Vsync

Any ideas, or is this a "wait for it" moment?

Tim

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - Mrfixit2001 - 06-07-2019

(06-06-2019, 11:49 AM)Tim Jones Wrote: Any further news on this?  I still can't boot from 190531 via 64GB eMMC.  I've tried flashing with Etcher and by using dd and the un-xz'd image with the same result.

Is there anything that I can provide to assist?  As mentioned before the armbian variants install and boot properly.  I've ordered the serial terminal adapter, but it's "in the mail".

When I reloaded armbian on this chip, I now can't boot from armbian.  I grabbed an eMMC from another SBC, flashed 190531, and I'm now booting!

Now, it's time to take over the world!

Tim

(06-06-2019, 11:49 AM)Tim Jones Wrote: Now, it's time to take over the world!

Oops, I should have said "Now it's time to ask lots of questions ... Smile

I have tried to enable a 2560x1080 mode for my UWHD monitor.  The results are a black screen that requires a reboot.  Has anyone gotten this to work?  Here's my modeline from one of the armbian runs:

# 2560x1080 @ 60.00 Hz hsync: 67.08 kHz; pclk: 230.76 MHz
  Modeline "2560x1080_60.00"  230.76  2560 2728 3000 3440  1080 1081 1084 1118  -HSync +Vsync

Any ideas, or is this a "wait for it" moment?

Tim

I would probably start by removing the resolution that's defined in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and see if that helps!

(06-01-2019, 12:42 PM)pbut5 Wrote: Just tried on this image like I posted in the non desktop version of your image.

No boot with a custom compiled kernel  it seems to crash as soon as pcie is starting.

I've tried on both your desktop and non desktop debian images and on the armbian image with the same result.

Edit:
@Mrfixit2001 

I have no idea if it's readable / useful but I'm adding a serial log of the error I get with a pcie attached it seems to error as soon as the custom compiled kernel is loaded.

Thanks for providing the log, hard to diagnose anything without that. It looks like you're doing more than just updating the kernel, you've swapped out uboot and the kernel. It seems to me that you are simply trying to use the rootfs from the desktop build with an entirely different setup. Unfortunately I can't really support that setup. The uboot and kernel in my build are completely customized. That being said, the kernel crash you're seeing is directly related to pcie, so you could try it with no pcie connected I suppose.

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - pbut5 - 06-07-2019

@Mrfixit2001

The only thing I have done with my board's boot config is update the uboot / spi with ayufan's updates.

Only other things I have done are trying to boot from emmc and sdcard. Using your 2 images and the armbian image. It's possible that log was taken while trying to boot from the armbian image and not yours if that makes a difference.

And I can boot without a card in the pcie with the custom compiled kernel but with a card in the pcie it doesn't boot.

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - Tim Jones - 06-12-2019

(06-07-2019, 02:55 PM)pbut5 Wrote: @Mrfixit2001
And I can boot without a card in the pcie with the custom compiled kernel but with a card in the pcie it doesn't boot.

Ah - what's the current draw on your PCIe card.  That may be your real problem here.

For instance, I can boot with the SATA card from Pine64, but putting a n 8W ATTO H680 in the slot definitely causes the board to halt immediately.

(06-07-2019, 07:34 AM)Mrfixit2001 Wrote: I would probably start by removing the resolution that's defined in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and see if that helps!
How do I save the change?  I can't get the /boot mount point to mount rw...

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - pbut5 - 06-12-2019

@Tim Jones
I'm not sure what the power draw on my card is.

But I have 3 different cards that I have been trying all of which worked on mrfixit's first kernel release (Though there were issues with pcie lockups which others also had). But since all of the pcie fixes it's not just that they no longer work it's that the kernel will no longer boot with a card in the pcie. It crashes as soon as the pcie driver s loaded by the look of the serial.

And have you tried:

sudo mount -o remount,rw /boot

then edit the extlinux.conf file as root or with sudo?

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - Tim Jones - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 03:31 PM)pbut5 Wrote: @Tim Jones
I'm not sure what the power draw on my card is.

But I have 3 different cards that I have been trying all of which worked on mrfixit's first kernel release (Though there were issues with pcie lockups which others also had). But since all of the pcie fixes it's not just that they no longer work it's that the kernel will no longer boot with a card in the pcie. It crashes as soon as the pcie driver s loaded by the look of the serial.
 Very odd because I've only seen the boot failure with high-draw cards.  I'm booting from either µSD or eMMC.
As for the /boot partition, I ended up mounting on another system and modifying it there.  It didn't resolve it, but I was able to change the value.

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - RussianNeuroMancer - 06-14-2019

Same issues on this Debian image too:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7593

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - pineadmin - 06-19-2019

Updated Debian Minimal by mrfixit2001 version 190531 on Wiki and Pine64 Installer

RE: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release - axelf - 06-22-2019

has anybody noticed that demidecode fails with a segmentation fault on this release ?

I'll see if there is a git repo I can report the bug to.

As salt constantly calls dmidecode ... the syslog and console gets spammed with error messages making it hard to troubleshoot other bugs.