PINE64
Pinebook Pro? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook Pro? (/showthread.php?tid=7106)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Pinebook Pro? - chithanh - 07-27-2019

(07-26-2019, 10:08 PM)wizkies Wrote: I wonder where can i get the coupon
The coupon will be sent to you via e-mail after you enter your forum credentials on the preorder page. Only forum accounts that were created before 1st July are eligible.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - DoMiNeLa10 - 07-27-2019

(07-26-2019, 11:51 PM)hdk Wrote: I'm a desperate "just after july 1" member.
It would be bodacious if I could order the Pinebook Pro now; for the manufacturer's longer term planning and for my state of mind.
Or do I not exist without a coupon?

Don't worry about it. I'm still waiting for my coupon. The first batch won't even have the ANSI keyboard, so don't consider these preorders to be a proper release of the laptop.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - Kochise - 07-27-2019

(07-27-2019, 05:04 AM)DoMiNeLa10 Wrote: so don't consider these preorders to be a proper release of the laptop.

Such kind words for the staff that worked hard to make the Pinebook Pro a reality...

RE: Pinebook Pro? - mamboman777 - 07-27-2019

(07-26-2019, 08:59 PM)binarian Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 07:12 AM)mamboman777 Wrote: Greetings! I'm planning on purchasing a PBP.  I would like to use it as a daily work machine for email and web browsing, but I'm curious if it may be usable for my side gig.  I am a recording engineer.  I would need it to run jack+ardour to record up to 16 track simultaneously @ 44.1k. Does anyone see any reason this won't work? The storage world be a concern. I would probably place sessions and tracks on USB drives.

Audio recording in and of itself isn't a cpu-heavy task, so while the PBP doesn't have a ton of horsepower it will probably handle that alright.  Make sure your storage device can handle the throughput though.

Doing editing, however, is not something I would recommend.

Editing, or even any plugins at all is not part of the plan.  I just want to write to disk.  Everything else would be done at home on a different machine. 

Are there throughput limitations for the PBP usb?  Focusrite gear all runs on USB 2.0, so I would probably consider using the USB 3 port on the pbp for the storage. I have recorded stuff like this to an sd card before, so I'm hoping there's not going to be much of a problem.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - cocozozo - 07-28-2019

Just confirming if the power supplies for the pinebook pro will be "switching"? I'm wanting to order for use in Australia. Currently I see USA and EU adapters only. Can I simply order either USA or EU and use a travel adapter or will you be offering other connections (e.g. AU).

Many thanks

RE: Pinebook Pro? - fire219 - 07-28-2019

(07-28-2019, 06:47 AM)cocozozo Wrote: Just confirming if the power supplies for the pinebook pro will be "switching"?  I'm wanting to order for use in Australia. Currently I see USA and EU adapters only. Can I simply order either USA or EU and use a travel adapter or will you be offering other connections (e.g. AU).

Many thanks

Yes, all the power adapters can run on any line voltage. There also is a AU plug available with this one: https://store.pine64.org/?product=rock64-5v-3a-international-power-supply-with-au-eu-uk-us-plug

RE: Pinebook Pro? - cocozozo - 07-29-2019

(07-28-2019, 08:05 AM)fire219 Wrote:
(07-28-2019, 06:47 AM)cocozozo Wrote: Just confirming if the power supplies for the pinebook pro will be "switching"?  I'm wanting to order for use in Australia. Currently I see USA and EU adapters only. Can I simply order either USA or EU and use a travel adapter or will you be offering other connections (e.g. AU).

Many thanks

Yes, all the power adapters can run on any line voltage. There also is a AU plug available with this one: https://store.pine64.org/?product=rock64-5v-3a-international-power-supply-with-au-eu-uk-us-plug

Ok thats fantastic.

Cheers Smile

RE: Pinebook Pro? - binarian - 07-29-2019

(07-27-2019, 03:23 PM)mamboman777 Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 07:12 AM)mamboman777 Wrote: Greetings! I'm planning on purchasing a PBP.  I would like to use it as a daily work machine for email and web browsing, but I'm curious if it may be usable for my side gig.  I am a recording engineer.  I would need it to run jack+ardour to record up to 16 track simultaneously @ 44.1k. Does anyone see any reason this won't work? The storage world be a concern. I would probably place sessions and tracks on USB drives.

Audio recording in and of itself isn't a cpu-heavy task, so while the PBP doesn't have a ton of horsepower it will probably handle that alright.  Make sure your storage device can handle the throughput though.

Editing, or even any plugins at all is not part of the plan.  I just want to write to disk.  Everything else would be done at home on a different machine. 

Are there throughput limitations for the PBP usb?  Focusrite gear all runs on USB 2.0, so I would probably consider using the USB 3 port on the pbp for the storage. I have recorded stuff like this to an sd card before, so I'm hoping there's not going to be much of a problem.

I would not expect any issues then.  AFAIK the only throughput "limitations" on the PBP is the fact that the camera/mic are USB (and I assume the keyboard/trackpad are too), but those are inconsequential.  If I did my math right, 16 channels of 48k 24bit audio is only 18Mbps, and standard USB2 spec supports a theoretical max of 480 Mbps, so you're well within range.  I didn't know if an SD card would support that, but certainly any hard drive should, let alone eMMC or SSD

RE: Pinebook Pro? - jiyong - 07-29-2019

(07-29-2019, 01:48 PM)binarian Wrote:

I would not expect any issues then.  AFAIK the only throughput "limitations" on the PBP is the fact that the camera/mic are USB (and I assume the keyboard/trackpad are too), but those are inconsequential.  If I did my math right, 16 channels of 48k 24bit audio is only 18Mbps, and standard USB2 spec supports a theoretical max of 480 Mbps, so you're well within range.  I didn't know if an SD card would support that, but certainly any hard drive should, let alone eMMC or SSD

A class 10 (10 MB/s) SD card should be able to handle that. One word of caution, once an SD card gets too fragmented, performance can drop significantly.
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

RE: Pinebook Pro? - mamboman777 - 07-29-2019

(07-29-2019, 03:15 PM)jiyong Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 01:48 PM)binarian Wrote:

A class 10 (10 MB/s) SD card should be able to handle that. One word of caution, once an SD card gets too fragmented, performance can drop significantly.
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

I've experienced that. I've also moved away from SD cards. I'm planning on putting my sessions on external USB drives or nvme.

I bet your math is correct on the io.  Probably why Focusrite doesn't bother with usb 3.0 compatibility. For those interested: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/208095469-USB-2-0-vs-USB-3-0