PINE64
Pinebook Pro? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook Pro? (/showthread.php?tid=7106)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Pinebook Pro? - weka - 07-18-2019

(07-16-2019, 01:35 PM)ikhider Wrote: It is a shame that Darktable is not a part of the Pine64 repo. Are there plans to add Darktable in the future? With the monitor resolution, I figure the Pinebook pro might be  a good tool for photography...?

If you use debian / armbian, which should be default, there is darktable in sid for the arm64. See https://packages.debian.org/sid/arm64/darktable/download. Not tried this on my pinebook -- too slow -- but have used for years on fedora and arch based systems. Looks like it is available in stable, experimental and oldstable as well. It may not be the latest, and it will need testing, but it is worth a crack.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - RMJ250 - 07-18-2019

(07-18-2019, 03:00 AM)weka Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 01:35 PM)ikhider Wrote: It is a shame that Darktable is not a part of the Pine64 repo. Are there plans to add Darktable in the future? With the monitor resolution, I figure the Pinebook pro might be  a good tool for photography...?

If you use debian / armbian, which should be default, there is darktable in sid for the arm64. See https://packages.debian.org/sid/arm64/darktable/download. Not tried this on my pinebook -- too slow -- but have used for years on fedora and arch based systems. Looks like it is available in stable, experimental and oldstable as well. It may not be the latest, and it will need testing, but it is worth a crack.

Hmm, you're right, it is available in Buster for Arm64. I have just updated Raspbian to the latest release (Buster) on a Rasberry Pi3 but it isn't there, however. I don't have any Pine device to test, maybe ask someone on the RockPro 64 side of the forum if it is in the repos?

RE: Pinebook Pro? - PakoSt - 07-18-2019

(07-18-2019, 02:41 AM)brent.thierens Wrote: Will we be able to run Android apps on the ChromeOS build?

It shouldn't or at least I wouldn't expect it to anytime soon.

Google doesn't have plans to release the Android container as you can find in this thread:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/chromium-os-discuss/OfBln-hl7ug

I don't think Anbox can be built for aarch64 either (don't quote me on this one) not that hardware acceleration would be a given even if you get it running.
There are a number ChromiumOS forks that are worth mentioning- FydeOS, ArnoldTheBats, Croissant (formely known as Chromefy), etc. It's interesting to check them out. But none of them will get you Android apps on ARM devices.

You "sort-of" can use emerge locally with ChromiumOS but it's not for the faint hearted.

If you are looking to try the ChromiumOS builds, treat them with an opened mind Wink It's different experience for sure

RE: Pinebook Pro? - mamboman777 - 07-18-2019

Greetings! I'm planning on purchasing a PBP. I would like to use it as a daily work machine for email and web browsing, but I'm curious if it may be usable for my side gig. I am a recording engineer. I would need it to run jack+ardour to record up to 16 track simultaneously @ 44.1k. Does anyone see any reason this won't work? The storage world be a concern. I would probably place sessions and tracks on USB drives.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - Kochise - 07-19-2019

Perhaps people wanting a PBP for specialized tasks should buy a specialized and dedicated computer instead. The PBP, despite its "Pro" suffix, is still a lower end general purpose laptop. Doing high grade Photoshop work or sound engineering might require more horse power and connectors.

Just my 0.02€.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - mamboman777 - 07-19-2019

(07-19-2019, 12:55 AM)Kochise Wrote: Perhaps people wanting a PBP for specialized tasks should buy a specialized and dedicated computer instead. The PBP, despite its "Pro" suffix, is still a lower end general purpose laptop. Doing high grade Photoshop work or sound engineering might require more horse power and connectors.

Just my 0.02€.

I'm currently using a Thinkpad T430 for that task. I want to support open source technologies & Pine64.  I'm planning on using your, like I said, for email and light web tasks. I was just curious if it might be up for the audio stuff, too. I guess I may not know until I hook up and try.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - DoMiNeLa10 - 07-19-2019

(07-19-2019, 12:55 AM)Kochise Wrote: Perhaps people wanting a PBP for specialized tasks should buy a specialized and dedicated computer instead. The PBP, despite its "Pro" suffix, is still a lower end general purpose laptop. Doing high grade Photoshop work or sound engineering might require more horse power and connectors.

Just my 0.02€.

If the GPU in it supports OpenCL, then GIMP should be quite snappy. Even my old core 2 duo laptop (which could be even slower than the SoC in PBP) was flying with GIMP 2.10 when I tried it with proprietary Nvidia drivers that supported OpenCL via a CUDA wrapper. I'd be more worried of the situation with RAM, but it should be fine unless your project is huge.

I know the chip in it has quite decent video decoding capabilities, and I hope it can encode as well.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - Luke - 07-19-2019

GIMP runs fine. I wouldn't suggest doing any major work on it, as its not that fast, but for a simple and quick picture edit it'll do just fine.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - Der Geist der Maschine - 07-19-2019

(07-17-2019, 07:29 AM)Luke Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 03:45 AM)brent.thierens Wrote: Will we able to install other DE on this build (like Gnome Shell, KDE ...) or will that give problems with the hardware acceleration?

Of course, but getting the acceleration working (properly) with each DE is something you have to be ready to do on your own. I've got reasons to believe that Plasma shouldn't be too much of a challenge. [...]

I'm getting old. In my youth things where simple: Isn't that up to xorg probing the hardware and loading the right driver modules?

RE: Pinebook Pro? - mamboman777 - 07-23-2019

Will I be able to pre order ansi keyboard?