PINE64
Pinebook Pro? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook Pro (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Pinebook Pro? (/showthread.php?tid=7106)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: Pinebook Pro? - soupbowl - 04-01-2019

(04-01-2019, 10:35 AM)Luke Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 09:51 AM)soupbowl Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 09:34 AM)Luke Wrote: [edit] to those asking about an upgrade path ... this has already been discussed on the forum, but I'll answer again: there will be an upgrade path eventually, but we've got keyboard firmware and thermals to sort out, and we're focusing on the Pinebook Pro first before figuring out how the upgrade will work.

I hope this isn't becoming an annoyance - but on the upgrade path. You mention before that owners will need to replace the bottom panel for thermals in the current research. Is this simply the bottom blanking panel or will the whole bottom-clamshell enclosure need replacing? Otherwise I'm assuming the PineBook upgrade won't get USB-C.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The USB C port fits nicely into the current HDMI cutout. Mind you, we already have USB-C -> HDMI working, so you're not losing functionality.
Oh! Personally no loss for me, I've never used the Mini HDMI port [emoji23] good work, will love to see how that looks once the conversion is done!

RE: Pinebook Pro? - Luke - 04-01-2019

(04-01-2019, 10:45 AM)soupbowl Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 10:35 AM)Luke Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 09:51 AM)soupbowl Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 09:34 AM)Luke Wrote: [edit] to those asking about an upgrade path ... this has already been discussed on the forum, but I'll answer again: there will be an upgrade path eventually, but we've got keyboard firmware and thermals to sort out, and we're focusing on the Pinebook Pro first before figuring out how the upgrade will work.

I hope this isn't becoming an annoyance - but on the upgrade path. You mention before that owners will need to replace the bottom panel for thermals in the current research. Is this simply the bottom blanking panel or will the whole bottom-clamshell enclosure need replacing? Otherwise I'm assuming the PineBook upgrade won't get USB-C.

The USB C port fits nicely into the current HDMI cutout. Mind you, we already have USB-C -> HDMI working, so you're not losing functionality.
Oh! Personally no loss for me, I've never used the Mini HDMI port [emoji23] good work, will love to see how that looks once the conversion is done!

When I get my dev unit I'll take a pic.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - DavidH - 04-01-2019

Thanks @Luke for your updates on FOSDEM 2019 Blog post!

I'm another new member with interest in the Pinebook Pro; I created a thread over on the LEVEL1TECHS forum about it.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - yangmusa - 04-01-2019

After months and months of waiting, I finally got an email from Pine saying I could put in an order for the 11.6" Pinebook! That's of course exciting.. However, in the meantime the Pinebook Pro has been unveiled, and it's hard to imagine buying the Pinebook now. The Pinebook Pro just seems like less of a curiosity and more of a general purpose machine.

Anyone else in the same boat?

RE: Pinebook Pro? - bigCamel - 04-01-2019

(04-01-2019, 01:56 PM)yangmusa Wrote: After months and months of waiting, I finally got an email from Pine saying I could put in an order for the 11.6" Pinebook! That's of course exciting.. However, in the meantime the Pinebook Pro has been unveiled, and it's hard to imagine buying the Pinebook now. The Pinebook Pro just seems like less of a curiosity and more of a general purpose machine.

Jep, got my coupon code today. And I'll ditch it in favour of the Pinebook Pro.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - Luke - 04-01-2019

(04-01-2019, 11:06 AM)DavidH Wrote: Thanks @Luke for your updates on FOSDEM 2019 Blog post!

I'm another new member with interest in the Pinebook Pro; I created a thread over on the LEVEL1TECHS forum about it.

Thanks, responded on their forum.

RE: Pinebook Pro? - oldoldman - 04-01-2019

(04-01-2019, 02:07 PM)bigCamel Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 01:56 PM)yangmusa Wrote: After months and months of waiting, I finally got an email from Pine saying I could put in an order for the 11.6" Pinebook! That's of course exciting.. However, in the meantime the Pinebook Pro has been unveiled, and it's hard to imagine buying the Pinebook now. The Pinebook Pro just seems like less of a curiosity and more of a general purpose machine.  

Same here - got an 11 inch Pinebook invitation today - Don't want one - I enrolled for Pinebook Pro

RE: Pinebook Pro? - RMJ250 - 04-01-2019

(04-01-2019, 03:59 PM)oldoldman Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 02:07 PM)bigCamel Wrote:

Same here - got an 11 inch Pinebook invitation today - Don't want one - I enrolled for Pinebook Pro

Same here, holding out for Pro now

RE: Pinebook Pro? - favio - 04-02-2019

i just saw that odroid ditched RK3399 against a cheaper chip with 4X A73 and 2X A53 for their last board , not only consumes less energy but have better performance.

i imagine that one of the goals of the pinebook pro is to extend all the development of the rockpro64 to that board (same hw?) but it would be great to see new boards to the same notebook structure ( pinebook and pro ) using different soc's in the future , having figured out the components (screen,battery,keyboard,etc) would speed up develop new alternatives?

Pinebook Pro? - cocozozo - 04-02-2019

(04-01-2019, 09:34 AM)Luke Wrote: cocozozo and amisteph; do you want something to tinker, play and experiment with or do you want an ARM laptop that's daily-driver material?

If the latter, then wait. But if you already have a laptop that you're happy with and have no intention of changing it no-matter-what (and you just want something to toy with) then go ahead and get the 11" Pinebook.

Let me just get it out there again; the 11.6" Pinebook is not a full laptop replacement. In layman terms, the regular Pinebook is ~10x less powerful than the Pro variant.

[edit] to those asking about an upgrade path ... this has already been discussed on the forum, but I'll answer again: there will be an upgrade path eventually, but we've got keyboard firmware and thermals to sort out, and we're focusing on the Pinebook Pro first before figuring out how the upgrade will work.

Hey mate,
Sorry for the late reply.
I want it for a bit of both. arm laptop that is daily driver and something to tinker with.
I want something I can fool around with on the couch... use it for a bit of ssh into my Mac and also managing homesssistant and my nas.