PINE64
FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=7091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - trainailleur - 02-13-2019

(02-12-2019, 09:06 PM)tllim Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 03:34 PM)Mr.Radar Wrote: For the PinePhone LTE module, have you determined which variant will be used in the US/North American model yet? If possible I'd like to see the EC25-AF variant used because it supports band 71 which is important for getting full access to T-Mobile US's LTE network (there are large areas of their network that only have service on band 71). That variant also apparently supports Verizon's LTE network (which the -A variant does not) which would significantly increase the potential customer base for the device (as Verizon is the largest carrier in the US). Thanks Smile

Thanks for the useful info, will explore with Quectel on the EC25-AF variant. If the cost price same as EC25-A, for sure will consider EC25-AF.

While I doubt the accuracy of the non-US information in this page, Phone Arena has a good list of US LTE bands by carrier:

Cheat sheet: which 4G LTE bands do AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint use in the USA?

And here is a breakdown of the US carriers by size:

Number of subscribers to wireless carriers in the U.S. from 1st quarter 2013 to 3rd quarter 2018, by carrier (in millions)

The best bands vary by carrier, and the bands they have outside of cities tend to be the most critical.  AT&T has the largest GSM network in the US and likely has the largest LTE user base.  Bands 12 or 17 are essential for AT&T coverage across the US (as I understand it, band 12 is a superset of band 17).

Sprint and Verizon are historically CDMA carriers, and never having had a CDMA phone, I'm unsure of how broad their coverage is, though from using their data cards at times, in the cities their LTE coverage seems fine.

T-Mobile are said to have the fastest LTE network in the US, but with around 80 million subscribed lines, they have only around half as many subscribers as AT&T or Verizon, both of whom have around 150 million subscribed lines.

May we assume that the modem, whichever the phone turns out to ship with, will be user-replaceable?  That would be a very valuable feature for world travelers unless you opt for the EC25-G.

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - mcerveny - 02-13-2019

Does Rock64 version 3 really exists ?

I see only one picture with Rock64 but it seems to be version 2+ with vbat connector for RK805 (RTC support) from FOSDEM'2018 but no connector for PoE or external reset/poweron !
So I should wait 2+ years for updated Rock64 with corrected basic design faults (external reset/poweron, errors on PI2 connector, wrong microSD power design...) and swap ethernet magnetics to PoE version (TLLIM states "wait" status again). I would like to see more features.
Exclamation Sad Angry

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - Luke - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 02:52 AM)mcerveny Wrote: Does Rock64 version 3 really exists ?

I see only one picture with Rock64 but it seems to be version 2+ with vbat connector for RK805 (RTC support) from FOSDEM'2018 but no connector for PoE or external reset/poweron !
So I should wait 2+ years for updated Rock64 with corrected basic design faults (external reset/poweron, errors on PI2 connector, wrong microSD power design...) and swap ethernet magnetics to PoE version (TLLIM states "wait" status again). I would like to see more features.
Exclamation Sad Angry

I updated the original announcement + blog post with an image of the Rock64 rev. 3 ... hope its sufficient proof it exists.

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - mcerveny - 02-13-2019

(02-13-2019, 10:02 AM)Luke Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 02:52 AM)mcerveny Wrote: Does Rock64 version 3 really exists ?

I updated the original announcement + blog post with an image of the Rock64 rev. 3 ... hope its sufficient proof it exists.

Thanks. So the board exists from August "ROCK64_V3.0 2018_0804" but not in production Sad
There is also weird layout of PoE outputs (like RPI). I do not believe that PCB has PoE isolation designed/compliant/certifiable to SELV circuit / IEC 60950 (1500/2250 Vrms steady-state and impulse).

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - Lex-2008 - 02-14-2019

I'm one of those waiting impatiently for PineTab. Having a 2-in-1 native Linux laptop/tablet was my dream for a long time, and now it can come true!

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - chithanh - 02-14-2019

(02-09-2019, 03:34 PM)CampGareth Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 02:46 PM)chithanh Wrote: Can I get some clarification what is the maximum bandwidth/resolution for the internal panel?
I've just remembered the other way to figure out the maximum supported resolution, count the number of pins on the eDP connector. 30 pins is two lanes, 40 is four. Since you need four for UHD and it looks like we have 30 pins on the Pinebook Pro there's no UHD panel support.
Indeed from the picture posted above your post I count 32 pins on the connector labeled "EDP":
(02-08-2019, 05:05 PM)Luke Wrote: [Image: xi4uCEA.jpg]
But:
2.7 Gbps per eDP lane (as per RK3399 datasheet) means that 30-pin eDP (2 lanes) is only enough for FullHD.
QHD needs 4 lanes at 2.7 Gbps or 2 lanes at 5.4 Gbps (HBR2).
UHD needs 4 lanes at 5.4 Gbps (HBR2) or 2 lanes at 8.1 Gbps (HBR3).

Grr, so this means FullHD is the maximum, unless final design changes to 40-pin eDP connector, or it is somehow possible to operate the RK3399 eDP at more than 2.7 Gbps per lane. And the folks at the FOSDEM booth talked nonsense.

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - oldtimefighter - 02-15-2019

Hi, I am new to the Pine64 community and like many others the Pinebook Pro Forbes article got my attention. These are my comments/questions on the FOSDEM 19 announcements...

Pinebook Pro

The specs are good for the price... I like that there is USB-A/USB-C ports and the barrel connector for power. The ability to add a SSD drive is killer.
The RAM will be dual channel yes?
It's hard to tell from the picture but the keyboard is not going to have a Windows key right?
I assume the newsletter will let us know when it will available to buy?

Pinephone

I have been waiting for an inexpensive Linux phone to play with so this will be an automatic order at the target price of $149. It's smart NOT to wast time/money trying to create your own OS. Purism should have just partnered with say KDE (Plasma Mobile) and be done with it. The hardware switches, headphone jack, and SD card slot were good calls.

Anyway, I can't wait for all these products to become reality.

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - Luke - 02-15-2019

Quote:The RAM will be dual channel yes?
Yes
Quote:It's hard to tell from the picture but the keyboard is not going to have a Windows key right?
No, no windows key on the Pinebook Pro - a 'hamburger menu' key like on current (regular) Pinebooks
Quote:I assume the newsletter will let us know when it will available to buy?
Don't worry, you'll know if you check in here, IRC, Discord or check social media (twitter, FB, etc.,) ... I'm sure there will be articles in media too. Will be hard to miss and you'll have plenty heads-up time.

Quote:It's smart NOT to wast time/money trying to create your own OS
Of course, why reinvent the wheel? :Smile The guys we work with (UBPorts, PostmarketOS, KDE, etc.,) know what they are doing software wise - all we're doing is catering to their needs...

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - cmeerw - 02-16-2019

How does the Amlogic S922X based ODROID-N2 compare to the RK3399 based Pinebook Pro? Sounds like the S922X would be a bit more powerful...

RE: FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion - axl - 02-16-2019

I'm interested in the Pinebook Pro, the PinePhone, the PineTab and a couple of CUBE cameras.

A feature I would like to see on the Pinebook Pro, the PinePhone and the PineTab would be a hardware kill-switch for the microphone. It would be great for the privacy-minded community.

Congrats on the great work!