PINE64
Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on Pinebook (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? (/showthread.php?tid=6006)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - Wizzard - 09-16-2018

(09-15-2018, 10:32 AM)hojnikb Wrote: 200€ is already intel atom territory, so wouldn't make much sense unless you absolutely want arm
Maybe, but does the Atom have passive cooling and comparable performance?
Because the performance of Pinebook is, honestly, very poor for normal work, even for browsing. I am now typing this from my Pixel C running Ubuntu and it feels like a real laptop.

RE: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - hojnikb - 09-19-2018

(09-16-2018, 02:22 PM)Wizzard Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 10:32 AM)hojnikb Wrote: 200€ is already intel atom territory, so wouldn't make much sense unless you absolutely want arm
Because the performance of Pinebook is, honestly, very poor for normal work, even for browsing. I am now typing this from my Pixel C running Ubuntu and it feels like a real laptop.

Yes,  a lot of  atom based laptops are passively cooled. 
Im currently rocking a z3735f laptop as a replacement for pinebook (was actually cheaper) and its much faster than a53 chipsets out there.

RE: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - Luke - 09-20-2018

(09-19-2018, 02:32 PM)hojnikb Wrote:

Im currently rocking a z3735f laptop as a replacement for pinebook (was actually cheaper) and its much faster than a53 chipsets out there.

In generic benchmarks the RK3399 beats the z3735f hands down. So, if a high-end rk3399-based and nicely finished Pinebook would sell for ~200USD then its still a value proposition. But as I already said, its a congested segment of the Laptop market.

Also, unlike the current Pinebook that is aimed at tinkerers and is effectively a toy of sorts, a rk3399 Pinebook would actually have to compare up against real laptops.

RE: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - Wizzard - 09-21-2018

But why would anybody buy a toy laptop for 100 USD (in fact almost 200 USD) when we can have almost real 200 (300) USD ultrabook?

RE: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - hojnikb - 09-21-2018

(09-20-2018, 04:14 AM)Luke Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 02:32 PM)hojnikb Wrote:

In generic benchmarks the RK3399 beats the z3735f hands down. So, if a high-end rk3399-based and nicely finished Pinebook would sell for ~200USD then its still a value proposition. But as I already said, its a congested segment of the Laptop market.

Also, unlike the current Pinebook that is aimed at tinkerers and is effectively a toy of sorts, a rk3399 Pinebook would actually have to compare up against real laptops.
Of course it beats it, z3735 is 5 years old and was pretty much the cheapest x86 chip that intel sold at the time.

RE: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - rugantio - 09-27-2018

Hello there, first post for me, big time lurker!
I have met you guys from pine64 @FOSDEM this year and I was really excited for the new RockPro64 board!!
I think that many people like me have been thinkering with ARM for some time, the software base has grown a lot and we all know that ARM can have an edge over other architectures (especially on power conumption).
A laptop with the new RockPro64 with at least 4GB of RAM at the 200-300$ range would sell for good, both to hackers/fans and to regular consumers. You guys did a good job in the design for the pinbook but for this one I feel that it's going to be a little harder to keep it slim and small (11''-13'' should be the aimed range).
You can also consider start a crowdfunding to see if you have doubts about actual interest around this product!! Also, if the -AI version comes around, the NPU would be a great boost for marketing the laptop!

RE: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - mzs.112000 - 09-28-2018

(09-15-2018, 11:20 AM)Luke Wrote:
Quote:200€ is already intel atom territory, so wouldn't make much sense unless you absolutely want arm

And this is exactly the problem with a RockPro64 based Pinebook.

I would have no problem paying $200 or even $250 for A RK3399-based Pinebook....
Thinking about it like this, performance of the RockPro64 is already nearing that of several low-end to lower-mid-range laptops of today that cost $250.
If one could get a RK3399 Pinebook with 4GB of RAM, 128GB eMMC, and then add in a WiFi+Bluetooth, 14.1" screen, and give it 3x USB Type-A ports and 1x USB Type-C port, a full-size SD slot, HDMI port, and a 720p webcam. That gives you a very nice Chromebook competitor(similar hardware and price-point, but completely unlocked and able to run many Linux distro's out of the box, ofc it could probably also run a Chromium OS build if there was one with the right drivers(ArnoldTheBat's CARM64 builds would be a good start) ).

And of course, such a laptop could even run W10 on ARM(someone did manage to get it working on an RPi 3, but with USB issues)

RE: Possible future Rockchip based Pinebook? - hojnikb - 10-13-2018

Looks like RK3399 might be dropping in price. Friendlyarm just annoucned a SBC with chipset for only 45$.

Could a "hacker" edition pinebook without any eMMC, power supply and possibly battery be done for sub 100$ ? Would serve for a great headline and allow tinkers to get a powerful arm laptop for cheap.