PINE64
Q4OS for PINEBOOK - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: Pinebook (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pinebook (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=79)
+--- Thread: Q4OS for PINEBOOK (/showthread.php?tid=4506)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - q4osteam - 06-08-2017

Agree, tdenetworkmanager is not too intuitive at the moment, unfortunately it could be a pain for newcomers. However, for someone who knows, it can connect wireless networks very easily, just following next, next .. guide. Simply pick up the network, fill the passphrase, check autoconnect box and press connect and save button. That should be all and I can confirm it's working just fine here. There should be no crashes, it's very unusual and never happened under our testing. Anyway the tdenetworkmanager needs improvements, no doubt.

Tdenetworkmanager lists all, managed as well as unmanaged, network devices at the moment, the first Pinebook device "waan0" is managed by network manager, while "waan1" is unmanaged. We are planning to provide some config option for users to be able to hide unmanaged interfaces.

Anyone, who wants easier wifi management, could replace tdenetworkmanager with more convenient Network Manager from Q4OS software centre, however it's not as lightweight as tdenetworkmanager.

Konqueror webbrowser is very lightweight, intended only for a very basic Internet access, it's not too convenient for regular web browsing. It notifies users about it on the first run, and recommends to install Firefox.

I will check headphones output too to propose a fix. The battery applet should work from the first run, I am currently not able to reproduce the glitch described, will do more testing.

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated Smile

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - xalius - 06-09-2017

I have the latest image up and running now and going through some things I know are usually issues on the PB. I got my WIFI working with TDENetworkmanager no problems, checking BT at the moment. On ayufan's ubuntu images we use Chromium over Firefox with some tweaks (move disk cache to tmpfs/RAM, tweak some performance settings) which is a lot faster than Firefox in general. Did you look through the list of tweaks/services that we added over stock Ubuntu/Debian images? (see here: https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/tree/master/package , contains added configuration files, systemd services and scripts to make Ubuntu/Debian run more smoothly, fix some suspend/sound/BT/network issues etc.) most of them should be applicable for Q4OS...

PS: Is there a way to add a brightness control applet/shortcuts to TDE? On Mate there is gnome-panel applet that works quite well to control brightness and save power...

PPS: I just saw that Firefox ESR is used in the 64bit version which is still pretty broken on arm64, I would suggest replacing that with firefox:armhf or chromium 64bit plus tweaks

PPPS: Apparently Chromium for arm64 is only in stretch, not jessie, is there a way to install that without breaking everything, or upgrading to stretch in general?

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - q4osteam - 06-09-2017

@xalius - Thanks Smile

Yes, Ayufan's linux-package is already applied in Q4OS.

It's possible to adjust brightness using mouse scroll wheel, simply hover mouse cursoir over the battery icon in the system tray and use the mouse scroll wheel to adjust brightness up or down. The alternative option is to add "lcddimmer" applet into the panel, right mouse click on the panel > unlock panels > one more right click > add applet to panel > add Lcd dimmer . lcddimer is quite usable, however a bit cranky. You can also use terminal command 'xbacklight -set0-100'.

Firefox vs. Chromium - we are just trying to compile Chromium for Jessie, the other way could be just to repack for Jessie Chromium from Xenial - executables should work out of the box. We also want to consider moving Q4OS for PB to Xenial to provide full compatibility with Pine64's folks effort, it will be discussed in depth the next week.

Thank you for the very helpful feedback, any suggestion is welcome ...

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - williamcolls - 06-12-2017

I see that there is an 1805 file available for the Pinebook. Will there be a 1805 release for the Pine64+ board?

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - q4osteam - 06-13-2017

@williamcolls
1805 for Pine64+ will be available in a couple of weeks.

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - q4osteam - 06-21-2017

@xalius
Chromium browser is now available in Q4OS, see https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4612 . We have decided to keep Debian base for Q4OS so far, as it should provide better reliability.

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - xalius - 06-21-2017

Thanks Q4OSTeam, will test tonight...

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - zer0sig - 06-27-2017

I'm still fiddling with ubuntu mate and android but will definitely try this once there is an SD version available so I can test it before writing it to my emmc.

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - Luke - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 04:25 PM)zer0sig Wrote: I'm still fiddling with ubuntu mate and android but will definitely try this once there is an SD version available so I can test it before writing it to my emmc.

Here is the trick to get the raw img file so you can boot from SD:
Flash the provided Q4OS image to a SD, then mount it in your system, navigate to rootfs and copy the raw image to your computer drive. Then flash this image to the SD. Thats all Smile

RE: Q4OS for PINEBOOK - zer0sig - 06-28-2017

(06-27-2017, 04:34 PM)Luke Wrote: Here is the trick to get the raw img file so you can boot from SD:
Flash the provided Q4OS image to a SD, then mount it in your system, navigate to rootfs and copy the raw image to your computer drive. Then flash this image to the SD. Thats all Smile

Right on. I figured it couldn't be but so complicated, but I hadn't really looked into it. May try this soon, as I generally prefer Debian to Ubuntu (though so far I'm finding the MATE xenial build to be pretty pleasant overall)