PINE64
(ARCHIVED) Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Linux on Pine A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Ubuntu (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Thread: (ARCHIVED) Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) (/showthread.php?tid=376)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - Luke - 04-21-2016

(04-21-2016, 07:16 AM)Pirin Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 03:52 AM)MrWizerd Wrote: I see that there is a known problem with Firefox, or at least was.  Does it still exist? I ask because my install is stable but I need a working browser.  If not Firefox anything that works will do.  Scanning the forums I have not found a solution, ideas?

On page 10 of this thread, Luke mentioned using Midori (sudo apt-get install midorias an alternate browser.  It has worked for my needs, though it has locked up on a few webpages for me.

Yup, Midori should work. As I previously mentioned both on this forum and the mate forum, I had no luck with getting chromium working on the Pine64 and firefox really bogs the system down. That said, Midori has its own share of problems - most notably, it tends to crash on 'heavy' websites. You can also try other webkit based browsers.

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - longsleep - 04-21-2016

(04-21-2016, 08:31 AM)sarkonovich Wrote: I ran those commands, apparently successfully, and rebooted. But the problem is still there. I simply don't have cifs installed in 
```` /lib/modules/3.10.65-4-pine64-longsleep/kernel/fs````

You are looking at a Kernel which does not have cifs - so unsurprisingly it is not there. I added cifs as module in in 3.10.65-5 (see changes at http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=293)

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - longsleep - 04-21-2016

(04-21-2016, 03:52 AM)MrWizerd Wrote: I see that there is a known problem with Firefox, or at least was.  Does it still exist? I ask because my install is stable but I need a working browser.  If not Firefox anything that works will do.  Scanning the forums I have not found a solution, ideas?

Firefox is essentially unusable still. I will mention in the change notes if something changes with future releases.

It should be possible to run the armhf (32bit) versions of Firefox or Chromium - afaik thats what the ODROID-C2 image is doing. Somebody just needs to spend time on it and check it out.

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - androsch - 04-21-2016

(04-21-2016, 01:44 PM)longsleep Wrote:

Firefox is essentially unusable still. I will mention in the change notes if something changes with future releases.

It should be possible to run the armhf (32bit) versions of Firefox or Chromium - afaik thats what the ODROID-C2 image is doing. Somebody just needs to spend time on it and check it out.
Tried to install chromium or firefox armhf as .deb packages manually, but had unmet dependencies (of course).
While im not that familiar with installing packages for other architectures: Can i just add the repos for the armhf architecture to install those dependencies via apt-get or is it dangerous while im mixing sources/architectures for my running system?
Maybe i should keep it with midori [emoji53]

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk

(04-21-2016, 01:44 PM)longsleep Wrote:

Tried to install chromium or firefox armhf as .deb packages manually, but had unmet dependencies (of course).
While im not that familiar with installing packages for other architectures: Can i just add the repos for the armhf architecture to install those dependencies via apt-get or is it dangerous while im mixing sources/architectures for my running system?
Maybe i should keep it with midori [emoji53]

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - MrWizerd - 04-21-2016

I feel kind of useless when it comes to helping with these things as I really don't know the way that the software inneracts with the hardware. I am currently using Midori, that I was able to find from another thread and install. I also tried manually installing chromium as well as a few other things but they all have issues. I am trying to get another few boards so I can send some to a friend of mine with the knowledge to teach me as well as help with the development side of things. Hopefully I can learn and eventually be an asset. I am good with testing and running logs and such and I follow instructions well and am inclined enough to find stuff when I can't figure it on my own so if you need a tester please let me know how I can help. Likewise if you point me in the direction of were I can learn how to get things running/ported for arm64 I can try to learn. My problem with this kind of thing is that I can not find much in the way of resources that are easy to get to without wadeing through massive threads. I fear I may just need to bite the bullet and crash courses at my local university or something.

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - sarkonovich - 04-21-2016

(04-21-2016, 11:15 AM)longsleep Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 08:31 AM)sarkonovich Wrote: I ran those commands, apparently successfully, and rebooted. But the problem is still there. I simply don't have cifs installed in 
```` /lib/modules/3.10.65-4-pine64-longsleep/kernel/fs````

You are looking at a Kernel which does not have cifs - so unsurprisingly it is not there. I added  cifs as module in in 3.10.65-5 (see changes at http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=293)

Well, I guess that is unsurprising, then. I followed the previous post with the curl commands to get pine64_update_uboot.sh and pine64_update_kernel.sh. Rebooted.

Is there any way to add cifs to my current installation? 

Thanks.

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - androsch - 04-22-2016

(04-21-2016, 02:49 PM)androsch Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 01:44 PM)longsleep Wrote: It should be possible to run the armhf (32bit) versions of Firefox or Chromium - afaik thats what the ODROID-C2 image is doing. Somebody just needs to spend time on it and check it out.

While armhf is also running on the PI3, i just installed both chromium and firefox for armhf on my Pine running Xenial with longsleeps kernel.
Can confirm firefox:armhf is running fine, chromium:armhf doesn't start at all.

So there is an alternative to midori with firefox:armhf as suggested by longsleep. Thanks for the suggestion!

(04-21-2016, 02:49 PM)androsch Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 01:44 PM)longsleep Wrote: It should be possible to run the armhf (32bit) versions of Firefox or Chromium - afaik thats what the ODROID-C2 image is doing. Somebody just needs to spend time on it and check it out.

While armhf is also running on the PI3, i just installed both chromium and firefox for armhf on my Pine running Xenial with longsleeps kernel.
Can confirm firefox:armhf is running fine, chromium:armhf doesn't start at all.

So there is an alternative to midori with firefox:armhf as suggested by longsleep. Thanks for the suggestion!

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - marshmel - 04-22-2016

Dillo browser works well.

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - joe - 04-22-2016

@ Longsleep

Can you create one version linux underclocking A64 soc Mhz  for the server ?
you may know server is 24 hour to running can't for the long time  temperature is hot !

Thank !

RE: Ubuntu Xenial Image (BSP Kernel) - MrWizerd - 04-22-2016

You could really add a small heatsink to the chip that would help or suppose slowing it down is an option, just stems more logical to add a sink with the thermally conductive adhesive to solve that problem