PINE64
SD card burn img size problems - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting Started (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: SD card burn img size problems (/showthread.php?tid=1995)

Pages: 1 2

RE: SD card burn img size problems - tkaiser - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 02:16 AM)Ghost Wrote: I have started an Etcher thread in General Discussion with this in mind.

Thanks! But that is not enough, it's a thread somewhere that people don't read. The recommendation has to be part of every instruction out there and of course should also be listed next to the actual OS images. Smile

RE: SD card burn img size problems - MarkHaysHarris777 - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 02:28 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 02:16 AM)Ghost Wrote: I have started an Etcher thread in General Discussion with this in mind.

Thanks! But that is not enough, it's a thread somewhere that people don't read. The recommendation has to be part of every instruction out there and of course should also be listed next to the actual OS images. Smile

I'm playing with this today...  ItsDave is working on the irc instructions from InfoBot.

RE: SD card burn img size problems - Ghost - 09-21-2016

It would be great if we could edit each and every post where Win32DiskImager was mentioned here on the forum and substitute in Etcher instead, but I don't think that's possible. But I agree that the message should be passed onto the wiki and updated in tutorial documentation too.

RE: SD card burn img size problems - MarkHaysHarris777 - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 02:53 AM)Ghost Wrote:

It would be great if we could edit each and every post where Win32DiskImager was mentioned here on the forum and substitute in Etcher instead, but I don't think that's possible. But I agree that the message should be passed onto the wiki and other documentation too.

I wonder if Kh Goh would have knowledge of a global search and replace function on the forum?

Well, we can start with some simple testing and then start editing the stickies...

RE: SD card burn img size problems - tkaiser - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 02:53 AM)Ghost Wrote: It would be great if we could edit each and every post where Win32DiskImager was mentioned here on the forum and substitute in Etcher instead, but I don't think that's possible.

I wouldn't do that since it will render posts absolutely useless (people reporting that they suffer from broken installations after using "Etcher" which is just the result of search/replace). You can't change the past anyway.

If instructions are adjusted and sticky threads are edited in a reasonable way (adding one bold line to the top pointing to Etcher) that's enough. It's about newbies who benefit the most from using appropriate tools that prevent making mistakes so let's care about them first.

The two most important places to simply replace all occurences if Win32DiskImager with Etcher are pine wiki and instructions on pine64.pro

RE: SD card burn img size problems - Ghost - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 03:06 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 02:53 AM)Ghost Wrote: It would be great if we could edit each and every post where Win32DiskImager was mentioned here on the forum and substitute in Etcher instead, but I don't think that's possible.

I wouldn't do that since it will render posts absolutely useless (people reporting that they suffer from broken installations after using "Etcher" which is just the result of search/replace). You can't change the past anyway.

<Edit>

The two most important places to simply replace all occurences if Win32DiskImager with Etcher are pine wiki and instructions on pine64.pro

Haha, good point! Well, hopefully the Pine wiki and pine64.pro information can be updated soon.

RE: SD card burn img size problems - tkaiser - 09-22-2016

(09-21-2016, 06:39 AM)Ghost Wrote: hopefully the Pine wiki and pine64.pro information can be updated soon.

The Pine64 wiki is not a wiki but a collection of static pages full of outdated contents: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&from=

Same applies to pine64.pro. This is the only site known to me providing OS images with manually added bugs (same Ethernet MAC address on all devices) including a bug tracker accepting these silly bugs as bugs (already months ago since the bugs in their OS images exist from the beginning) but not fixing the bugs. Maybe they're still too busy with 'the Mali' over there...

RE: SD card burn img size problems - tkaiser - 09-22-2016

(09-20-2016, 07:00 PM)tllim Wrote: @kaiser, I will look into this.

Please look into this too: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=2115&page=2

A whole thread where people are talking about DOA LCD panels while they're most probably just suffering from boards not booting for whatever reasons (burning failed, SD card broken, whatever).

Edit: And here we have the other variant: Undervoltage due to higher power requirements caused by the LCD backlight? 'Flashing' power led is not a software thingie: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1712&pid=20349#pid20349

Simple question: What does it need for the LCD's backlight to turn on?
  • Providing power through Micro USB or Euler pins?
  • U-Boot and/or kernel loading regardless of settings?
  • U-Boot and/or kernel loading and LCD activated (via this setting)?
Next simple questions: How much amperage needs the LCD backlight with default settings? When dimmed through PWM could that add to noisy power behaviour?

This is something you as the vendor should be able to answer and if this is known it gets easy to diagnose 'LCD problems' or to be able to differentiate 'LCD' from 'board not booting' problems.

Might it be a great idea to add a custom led on the board with a new PCB revision should you plan to update Pine64/Pine64+ anytime soon? For an OS being able to indicate »I'm doing this and now am doing that«.

BTW: Wiki still not updated.  Dodgy