PINE64
Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) (/showthread.php?tid=14181)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) - rocket2nfinity - 07-19-2021

(07-19-2021, 01:22 PM)county93 Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 05:06 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 12:34 PM)lovepine88 Wrote: Does anyone know how I make an outgoing call to an actual number in these things as opposed to another SIP account? In Linphone, I tried to connect to a number, such as 123456789, and it connects to 123456789.linphone.org.

Is there a specific item I need to put in to get it to dial (like "dial:123456789" or "phone:123456789" or call 123456789" so it tries to call a normal phone line as opposed to a SIP address?
You need a SIP provider that allows you to access the regular phone system. Unless something has changed recently, Linphone by default does not connect to the regular phone system. It can, but you must contract with a SIP provider and input their sip URL. Then you can make and receive phone calls. Search google to find sip providers in your region.
JMP.Chat will make outside calls using VoIP. I'm doing that now. You have to set up the phone number first in a contact in an XMPP Client like Gajim or a client that may work with your OS. You can call using wifi, too. I can call landlines or other mobile phones. JMP.Chat works on the XMPP system and uses OMEMO encryption. The people at JMP.Chat are working on making a dialing app to make things easier. I paid 5 months in advance and each month is $2.95 USD a month for 120 minutes of call out time each month. I seldom use that much time with dial up calls because I use the free chat options like alot of other people. Gajim and other XMPP clients have the free chat option like those of Telegram or Signal. XMPP the way I am using it is probably more secure. JMP.Chat works like any VoIP service and I can get SMS messages from banks, eBay, etc. It's all working for me as a regular dial up call service.
Yes, but what sip app are you using on the pinephone for voice calls? Because last i tried, none of them were working with it?

RE: Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) - county93 - 07-19-2021

(06-17-2021, 12:34 PM)lovepine88 Wrote: Does anyone know how I make an outgoing call to an actual number in these things as opposed to another SIP account? In Linphone, I tried to connect to a number, such as 123456789, and it connects to 123456789.linphone.org.

Is there a specific item I need to put in to get it to dial (like "dial:123456789" or "phone:123456789" or call 123456789" so it tries to call a normal phone line as opposed to a SIP address?
You need a SIP provider that allows you to access the regular phone system. Unless something has changed recently, Linphone by default does not connect to the regular phone system. It can, but you must contract with a SIP provider and input their sip URL. Then you can make and receive phone calls. Search google to find sip providers in your region.
JMP.Chat will make outside calls using VoIP. I'm doing that now. You have to set up the phone number first in a contact in an XMPP Client like Gajim or a client that may work with your OS. You can call using wifi, too. I can call landlines or other mobile phones. JMP.Chat works on the XMPP system and uses OMEMO encryption. The people at JMP.Chat are working on making a dialing app to make things easier. I paid 5 months in advance and each month is $2.95 USD a month for 120 minutes of call out time each month. I seldom use that much time with dial up calls because I use the free chat options like alot of other people. Gajim and other XMPP clients have the free chat option like those of Telegram or Signal. XMPP the way I am using it is probably more secure. JMP.Chat works like any VoIP service and I can get SMS messages from banks, eBay, etc. It's all working for me as a regular dial up call service.
It will also do voicemail and voicemail transcription to text. You can set up the call greeting yourself also by recording online or sending in a .wav file. I sent the .wav file in and used a Sprint/AT&T like voice greeting for voicemail to record that .wav file. I found an online service that I was comfortable with that made the text to speech recording. JMP.Chat is working to make the service easier, too.

RE: Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) - AndyM - 07-23-2021

If you open a sipgate account and buy some credit, you can make phone calls to any landline number using a voip client. That is the good news. The only voip client that I have found so far, that nearly works is Linphone. Unfortunately mediastreamer absolutely refuses to connect to pulseaudio on mobian, so I am stuck at the moment. I tried Twinkle but it seems to have the same problem, but I did not try too hard. May be I will give it another go.

RE: Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) - county93 - 10-04-2021

(07-19-2021, 03:11 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:

Yes, but what sip app are you using on the pinephone for voice calls? Because last i tried, none of them were working with it?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not using an SIP app at all. I'm just using Gajim on PinePhone and it takes care of everything. I can make VoIP calls and get SMS, etc. to landlines and other cell phones through Gajim using JMP.Chat. I don't know enough about SIP to answer questions about it and how JMP.Chat can work with other apps, but there is a forum that can answer questions:

https://anonymous.cheogram.com/discuss@conference.soprani.ca

The people that run JMP.Chat answer alot of questions in this open forum. You have to enter any anonymous nickname to make the site work. There is no registration or login requirement.

The main site is: https://jmp.chat/

It's VoIP over the XMPP system and works fine through my VPN on the PinePhone. Just set the PinePhone sound settings to "Phone call" for output and input to hear sound on the built in speakers.

RE: Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) - rocket2nfinity - 10-04-2021

I wasn't aware Gajim was working properly for voice calls. I'll check that out. Thanks!

RE: Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) - devrtz - 10-06-2021

shamelessly advertising SIP support in gnome-calls Smile

If you want to use it for PSTN calls you (currently) need to dial a telephone number as a SIP address:
$NUMBER@your_sip_provider.tld

jmp.chat worked nicely when I last tried.

RE: Best Way of Receiving Calls Without SIM (VOIP) - AndyM - 10-07-2021

Jami also appears to support SIP calls. Not much supports video calls because of problems with the camera.