PINE64
Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: General Discussion on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+--- Thread: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? (/showthread.php?tid=13861)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - bcnaz - 08-07-2021

(08-05-2021, 12:33 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: From what I saw if you could just immediately answer the call when the phone comes out of suspend mode it would probably be OK.

With my provider calls go to voicemail if not picked up after 4 rings. (I'm not sure if it's possible to change this, might be something to look at.) It took 2 rings for the Pinephone to "wake up" and become responsive. So if it were possible at that point to just answer the call immediately it would work. As it stands now by the time you quickly swipe, put in the passcode, and log in, the call is just about to go into voicemail. (At least with my fumble-fingers.)

I am using Mobian, still running from an sd card on a PMOS Convergent phone, this phone is on an AT&T prepaid service, my sim card came in a 5 sumthin iphone, then moved to a Blu Google phone, then the Brave Heart, and now the PMOS phone.

Calling the Pine phone from another phone when the Pine has been asleep for hours, the calling phone hears 2 rings, then the Pine starts ringing, 
by the callers third ringtone  the screen to answer or reject appears on the screen,  NO UNLOCKING IS REQUIRED

I am not certain when this feature first appeared,  but I think it has been that way for a while.

I am in a rather rural area, so service may be different if you are in a town.

I'm an old guy on a very limited income, IF the Pine phone  was a worthless piece of ___ as some do imply, I would not have bought multiples of it.!

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - nelstomlinson - 08-07-2021

I leave my phone plugged in all night to keep the battery charged.  Land lines aren't available this far out, but we do have fair cell service.  

That's good news that I won't have to type in my password to answer a call in the middle of the night, Zeb.  Thanks.

I would like this phone a lot better if it didn't have any lock screen at all. I haven't found a way to disable that yet.

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - Zebulon Walton - 08-08-2021

I just tried it again to check, and sure enough the phone takes 2 rings to wake up at which time it does present the swipe screen to log in. That leaves 2 more rings to log into the phone and pick up the call which isn't really possible to do reliably. If others are not having to log back into the phone after it wakes up maybe there is some setting I'm missing? (Mobian is updated as of just a few days ago.)

@nelstomlinson, if you're leaving the phone plugged into a power source you should be able to set it to not go to sleep while plugged in, so you wouldn't have to wait for the phone to wake up to take a call. Mine doesn't go to sleep as long as it's on external power. (Of course the phone may get hot running overnight without going to sleep.)

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - TamonaRenee - 08-08-2021

Hello! I have been hacked royallySmile. I am new to the community. Please be patient with me. After being told by over a dozen “senior” Apple techs that I believe and ghosts because the hacker does not exist; I decided to end my 30+ year relationship with the company. Google is trying to help. However, the hacker has control over my new iPhone SE. The hacker also has control of all of my Google accounts that I was logged into when that told over the iMac before I sold it. Therefore, I am now typing you on a hacker phone while I wait for the idiots at Apple to delete the dozen apple ids that get telling me to make. Oh. I’m also under a limited warranty for the new phone. However, they told me to buy and new phone because no one was going to “give” me a new phone. So asking Apple to honor their warranty turned me into a beggar. This brings me to this lovely community that I hopes welcomes me. I saw the Pine64 on YouTube. I was excited about the ability to have complete control over my phone. I didn’t know how important physically disabling a phone was until I realize the hacker is controlling me in the clouds because everything Apple and Google is in the cloud! I’m don’t have anything against Google so far. When I told Google that I am hacked, that I had screenshots that I could not send them because the hacker was controlling my photos (graying them out). Google believed me and told me to make sure I secure the screenshots. If Google is going to have access to all my information, I at least appreciate the fact that they are smart enough to know anyone can be hacked. I heard the Pine64 is no available for purchase. I will see if I can purchase one. I am from the U.S. However, I am currently in Taiwan. I hope one is available and can be delivered. Thank you so much for reading my bookSmile. I look forward to learning all I can! Oh!! I like to participate in forums with my real name. If there is anything I have to hide behind an avatar to say, I will not say it. Thank you all so much.

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - Zebulon Walton - 08-09-2021

@TamonaRenee, it would have been better to post this as a new topic. (Perhaps a moderator can move it?)

Sorry to hear about the hacking problems, it is something that is all too common. The Pinephone is manufactured in batches. The Pine store says that the basic Pinephone (2GB RAM, 16GB storage) should be available again in September, the "deluxe" version (3GB memory, 32GB storage) in late August. (Those are estimates. Chip shortages and other Covid-related issues are likely making things more difficult than they would be otherwise.)

https://pine64.com/product-category/pinephone/

What you need to understand about the Pinephone is that it is not a finished product. Pine64, who manufactures the phones, does not provide the software. There are quite a few different versions of Linux available for the Pinephone in various stages of development by the community. The most stable for most people seem to be Mobian, Manjaro, and Arch. However none of them at this time are providing full functionality.

Whether the Pinephone is for you really depends on what you expect from your phone. It's good for me since all I really use it for is to make and receive phone calls and that's working OK. Others expect a lot more and may be disappointed. In fact from time to time you will find Pinephones come up for sale here by individuals who have tried them and found the phone does not meet their needs.

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - swiley - 08-09-2021

(08-07-2021, 09:41 PM)nelstomlinson Wrote: I leave my phone plugged in all night to keep the battery charged.  Land lines aren't available this far out, but we do have fair cell service.  

That's good news that I won't have to type in my password to answer a call in the middle of the night, Zeb.  Thanks.

I would like this phone a lot better if it didn't have any lock screen at all. I haven't found a way to disable that yet.

The lock screen is a feature of the desktop environment and the incoming call notifications are not (at least with gnome calls.) You can use a different DE that you're more familiar with if the one you're using doesn't work for you. This is what I did.

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - nelstomlinson - 08-09-2021

(08-09-2021, 10:24 AM)swiley Wrote: The lock screen is a feature of the desktop environment and the incoming call notifications are not (at least with gnome calls.) You can use a different DE that you're more familiar with if the one you're using doesn't work for you. This is what I did.

swiley, which environment are you using?

I'm on Mobian right now because Debian is most familiar to me, and Arch/Manjaro is very unfamiliar.

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - Zebulon Walton - 08-09-2021

(08-09-2021, 11:32 AM)nelstomlinson Wrote: I'm on Mobian right now because Debian is most familiar to me, and Arch/Manjaro is very unfamiliar.

Same here, have been using Debian and derivatives for a very long time now on desktops, laptops, and servers, so prefer so Mobian was the natural choice.

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - bcnaz - 08-09-2021

"Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver?"

YES I am

While I do agree the "Locked Screen" can be a real PIA

But I prefer that, over all the random input of a unlocked screen while my phone is in my pocket.

AND ... Ranting about the locked screen is a bit off the topic of the this thread.

Proud owner of 1 Brave Heart, 3 Post Market Convergent, 1 Manjaro Convergent Pine phones

RE: Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? - nelstomlinson - 08-09-2021

(08-09-2021, 12:26 PM)bcnaz Wrote: While I do agree the "Locked Screen"  can be a  real PIA 

But I prefer that,  over all the random input of a unlocked screen  while my phone  is in my pocket.

As far as I can tell the only way to get it to turn on is to push the on switch on the side; it doesn't respond to shaking, swiping the screen, or so on.  That should minimize the chances of pocket dialing, which is a real problem with my Blackberry.