PINE64
Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... (/showthread.php?tid=12734)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - ryo - 01-13-2021

(01-13-2021, 08:32 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 05:47 AM)ryo Wrote: For those of you wanting to see the X button back in the activity switcher, I have a feeling that this is more of a theme specific issue rather than a function issue.
While running Phosh on my PC (Manjaro with Gnome, default Manjaro theme), the X buttons are there.
With the Phosh 0.6.0 release the X to close windows was changed to be visible only on hover, effectively making it only visible when there is a mouse pointer.
OK, that makes sense.

RE: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - TRS-80 - 03-20-2021

(01-13-2021, 05:47 AM)ryo Wrote: ・The Purism team is defaulting to the app menu being unfolded, I made it default to folded.
 It simply makes much more sense as a desktop user to start with the desktop, and having to activate the menu, instead of the other way around.
 As a rather desired side effect, closing all apps will automatically close the menu down

Hello @ryo,

Am I understanding correctly that you brought back a normal, empty desktop?

I just fired up Mobian for the first time with Phosh and I could not believe there was no empty desktop. It has been driving me nuts.

RE: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - dawg161 - 03-22-2021

Nice work ryo. I too am thinking of the pinephone more as a handheld desktop than a phone, but that’s just what my plan was when I bought it, a nice thing about it is that it is so flexible.

What I’ve been doing to meet my desktop needs is actually running a desktop environment when I want that and phosh when i want more phone like. There’s a program packaged in some distros (but not mobian, where I had to build it from source) called lightdm-mobile-greeter that lets you choose sessions upon login. Right now on Mobian I have MATE installed and it works great. On fedora XFCE was perfect, and an older fedora image GNOME was great. I’m not sure why results vary. Anyway MATE is very usable as long as onboard keyboard is installed. I also have fvwm installed as a backup session in case something goes crazy and it works fine too

RE: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - ryo - 04-23-2021

(03-20-2021, 06:26 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 05:47 AM)ryo Wrote: ・The Purism team is defaulting to the app menu being unfolded, I made it default to folded.
 It simply makes much more sense as a desktop user to start with the desktop, and having to activate the menu, instead of the other way around.
 As a rather desired side effect, closing all apps will automatically close the menu down

Hello @ryo,

Am I understanding correctly that you brought back a normal, empty desktop?

I just fired up Mobian for the first time with Phosh and I could not believe there was no empty desktop.  It has been driving me nuts.
Yes, it's just takes changing a few lines of code.
But I stopped maintaining this modded Phosh, I can't keep up with the constant changes while being almost always occupied with my full time job.

RE: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - Hiraghm - 04-23-2021

(03-22-2021, 03:53 AM)dawg161 Wrote: Nice work ryo. I too am thinking of the pinephone more as a handheld desktop than a phone, but that’s just what my plan was when I bought it, a nice thing about it is that it is so flexible.

What I’ve been doing to meet my desktop needs is actually running a desktop environment when I want that and phosh when i want more phone like. There’s a program packaged in some distros (but not mobian, where I had to build it from source) called lightdm-mobile-greeter that lets you choose sessions upon login. Right now on Mobian I have MATE installed and it works great. On fedora XFCE was perfect, and an older fedora image GNOME was great. I’m not sure why results vary. Anyway MATE is very usable as long as onboard keyboard is installed. I also have fvwm installed as a backup session in case something goes crazy and it works fine too

You mean I could have both Phosh and MATE under Mobian on my phone? I also like FVWM... what about Cinnamon? I use Linux Mint Cinnamon on my desktop and duplicating the environment on my phone might be cool.

So any instructions for building lightdm-mobile-greeter on my phone?

RE: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - ryo - 04-23-2021

(04-23-2021, 09:45 PM)Hiraghm Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 03:53 AM)dawg161 Wrote: Nice work ryo. I too am thinking of the pinephone more as a handheld desktop than a phone, but that’s just what my plan was when I bought it, a nice thing about it is that it is so flexible.

You mean I could have both Phosh and MATE under Mobian on my phone? I also like FVWM... what about Cinnamon? I use Linux Mint Cinnamon on my desktop and duplicating the environment on my phone might be cool.

So any instructions for building lightdm-mobile-greeter on my phone?

(っ'-')╮ =͟͟͞͞? https://gitlab.com/rrico542/mobian-x-recipes

RE: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - TRS-80 - 06-01-2021

(04-23-2021, 09:39 PM)ryo Wrote: I stopped maintaining this modded Phosh, I can't keep up with the constant changes while being almost always occupied with my full time job.

This was exactly my concern as well, even though as you say it's ostensibly "just a few lines of code."  Wink 

I appreciate the reply, confirming what I suspected.

Not that I have any more time than you these days, but OTOH that really is driving me nuts...  So maybe eventually I take some action to remedy that.  Perhaps in the form of a patch, automated build process, or something which could be easily applied on an ongoing basis...

RE: Seems like Phosh is in downgrade mode... - ryo - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 07:50 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: This was exactly my concern as well, even though as you say it's ostensibly "just a few lines of code."  Wink 
The modifications are just a few lines of code, but you still want to put all the good stuff from the original project in.