PINE64
Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian (/showthread.php?tid=12047)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - r7s3TgmyQv2R3z - 04-13-2021

Hello,

Thanks @arno_nuehm for the package.

It's running fine v 0.9.9. However I keep getting group messages as a 1-1 massage, although v 0.9.9 should support group messages.
Was one already able to get the group messages working properly?

Br

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - arno_nuehm - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 05:52 AM)r7s3TgmyQv2R3z Wrote: Hello,

Thanks @arno_nuehm  for the package.

It's running fine v 0.9.9. However I keep getting group messages as a 1-1 massage, although v 0.9.9 should support group messages. 
Was one already able to get the group messages working properly?

Br

You're very welcome!

But: v0.9.9 is not supporting v2groups.

There is a proof-of-concept, but it's... complicated and sadly far from complete. The devs are doing their best!

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - Zebulon Walton - 04-28-2021

I just installed axolotl on my Pinephone and got it working, then set up the client on my desktop system as well linking it to the same phone number. What does it mean when you send a message and your text box has an orange border and there is an orange triangle with an exclamation point in the lower right-hand corner? I have not been able to find any docs yet for this.

[Image: ab94vDqo_o.jpg]

RE: Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian - arno_nuehm - 04-28-2021

(04-28-2021, 12:22 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I just installed axolotl on my Pinephone and got it working, then set up the client on my desktop system as well linking it to the same phone number. What does it mean when you send a message and your text box has an orange border and there is an orange triangle with an exclamation point in the lower right-hand corner? I have not been able to find any docs yet for this.

Hello there,

it means, that the message was not sent corretcly. Some questions and hints:

Which version / installation method did you use?
Did you de-register your old Signal account?
Are you trying to send this message in a group?
Is the number you sent this message to a Signal user?
Have you tried to reset the encryption between yourself and the other user by tapping the three dots in the top right corner and tapping "Reset encryption"?
Have you tried to send a message to the same user with your (official Signal) desktop client?

Let me know, if some of these hints worked out.

Cheers!

(04-28-2021, 12:42 PM)arno_nuehm Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 12:22 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I just installed axolotl on my Pinephone and got it working, then set up the client on my desktop system as well linking it to the same phone number. What does it mean when you send a message and your text box has an orange border and there is an orange triangle with an exclamation point in the lower right-hand corner? I have not been able to find any docs yet for this.

Hello there,

Have you tried to reset the encryption between yourself and the other user by tapping the three dots in the top right corner and tapping "Reset encryption"?
Have you tried to send a message to the same user with your (official Signal) desktop client?

Cheers!

Thanks, I figured it meant some kind of error but there seems to be no docs or way to get any details on what the error is.

Is axolotl restricted to being registered to a phone number on only one device? For test purposes I de-registered both and just set up the desktop version, using the Pinephone only to receive the confirmation SMS code. The error condition persists.

I'm not trying to send this from or to a group, only individuals are involved. (It did work using the Pinephone to send messages to the same user, so the number is definitely registered with Signal.) Resetting encryption did not help either.

The official Signal desktop client seems to require scanning a QR code that it displays on startup and I don't see a way to do that with the Pinephone, so I'm unable to use that. (I do not have any Android or iOS devices that can be used to scan the code.)

I've just re-registered axolotl on the Pinephone and sent a message to the same phone number and it went through OK (check marks instead of error triangle).  Maybe if I run desktop axolotl from the command line it will spit out some useful diagnostics to stderr? Obviously this is not a Pinephone problem, there's apparently something going on with my Ubuntu desktop system that axolotl doesn't like so I should probably pursue this issue in the Ubuntu forums. (I could not find a forum specifically for axolotl.)

(04-28-2021, 01:31 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 12:42 PM)arno_nuehm Wrote:

Hello there,

Cheers!

Thanks, I figured it meant some kind of error but there seems to be no docs or way to get any details on what the error is.

Is axolotl restricted to being registered to a phone number on only one device? For test purposes I de-registered both and just set up the desktop version, using the Pinephone only to receive the confirmation SMS code. The error condition persists.

I'm not trying to send this from or to a group, only individuals are involved. (It did work using the Pinephone to send messages to the same user, so the number is definitely registered with Signal.) Resetting encryption did not help either.

The official Signal desktop client seems to require scanning a QR code that it displays on startup and I don't see a way to do that with the Pinephone, so I'm unable to use that. (I do not have any Android or iOS devices that can be used to scan the code.)

I've just re-registered axolotl on the Pinephone and sent a message to the same phone number and it went through OK (check marks instead of error triangle).  Maybe if I run desktop axolotl from the command line it will spit out some useful diagnostics to stderr? Obviously this is not a Pinephone problem, there's apparently something going on with my Ubuntu desktop system that axolotl doesn't like so I should probably pursue this issue in the Ubuntu forums. (I could not find a forum specifically for axolotl.)

Ok, glad to hear it worked.

But here are some general things about Axolotl/Signal you should be aware of:

Due to Signals restriction, only one primary client with the same phone number is allowed in the Signal world. Using Axolotl (primary client) on your Pinephone AND on your desktop pc is not working. You have to use the official Signal desktop client or any other secondary client on your desktop pc.
Lucky for you, the camera app Megapixels on your Pinephone is able to decode qr-codes automatically and you can link your Signal desktop with Axolotl using the string of the qr-code.

One other thing: The support for Signal v2groups is still not implemented in Axolotl.

And no need to run Axolotl from your command line. The electron gui works just fine - or try the server/browser setup from the wiki.

So, enjoy Signal on your Pinephone!

I didn't realize that Megapixels had that capability. I tried using it to capture the QR code from Signal Desktop and I could see it trying to latch onto the code. All it seemed to do though was produce a dng file picture of the QR code. (I have not used Megapixels much - why dng instead of jpg? The dcdraw and imagemagick programs are installed.)

(04-28-2021, 02:18 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I didn't realize that Megapixels had that capability. I tried using it to capture the QR code from Signal Desktop and I could see it trying to latch onto the code. All it seemed to do though was produce a dng file picture of the QR code. (I have not used Megapixels much - why dng instead of jpg?)

You have to tap on the screen and then tap "Copy" to get the string - no need to take a picture.

(And for completeness: The dng file is converted into a jpeg, if a converter is installed)

Thanks - I found that, so it saves the data in the paste buffer to paste into some other application? I'll take up further details in the "mobian, pinephone camera, and megapixels" thread. (BTW, Megapixels was saving in jpg format back when I last used it months ago so I must have had a converter installed, but there have been numerous updates since then.)

One single contact broken in Axolotl - Anna - 05-06-2021

I'm not sure whether I should have openend a new thread for this topic as not to overload the Axolotl thread...

Anyway, I have the following Axolotl problem:

All of a sudden I can neither receive messages from one friend of mine nor can I send messages to her – they are marked with this triangular, red traffic sign (instead of the two circles) and never go out. Everything else works, only this particular person is affected.

I tried "reset encryption" for that chat, afterwards deleted the chat and asked her to do the same on her (Android) phone – it did not help, the problem persists.

However, I can still communicate with her via the Signal desktop app on Linux Mint. The messages I send via the desktop app not only go out, they also show up in Axolotl on my phone. Her messages on the other hand only reach my desktop app, not the Pinephone.

My friend's contact looks exactly the same as all other contacts in /.config/textsecure.nanuc/registeredContacts.yml -- nothing remarkable and no zeroes at the beginning or end of the UUID. 

I had the same problem with somebody else a few weeks ago. Back then I could "solve" the problem with a complete reinstallation -- something I'd like to avoid this time. (I would not mind the reinstallation part, but connecting Axolotl to the desktop application again and reentering all the contacts is quite annoying -- especially if a likely perspective is having to do that over and over again...)

Is there any solution apart from reinstalling Axolotl?