PINE64
Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PineTab (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=140)
+--- Forum: PineTab Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=142)
+--- Thread: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland (/showthread.php?tid=11438)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - Jeffersoniantoo - 11-21-2020

I went ahead and updated to see what would happen and it broke screen rotate. Also, still no virtual keyboard. Screen rotate doesn't work in manual either. It stays in portrait mode no matter what you set it for. I don't think it is the accelerometer. In auto mode, as you rotate the tablet, there is a quick screen resize (while in portrait mode), then it resets back to portrait and never rotates. Maybe a display driver issue. I may get to play with it some more this next week.

Any advice on things to try would be appreciated. Also if there is a procedure to remove Phosh without breaking Plasma, I would like to try that as well.

David

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - firefox-58 - 11-26-2020

Any way to install plasma-mobile instead of plasma ?

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - peperjohnny - 11-26-2020

Best bet is getting the Manjaro plasma mobile image I guess. https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/storage/pinetab/plasma-mobile-dev/dev-20201017/

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - andybleaden@gmail.com - 11-28-2020

It does work but be warned at the mo this is really really slow.

However it looks less fugly than phosh in my opinion and less old school linuxy than the straight forward arch etc images ( I know some people prefer these - that is understandable)

However what this build and I hope subsequent builds show is a more tablet friendly version of manjaro so definitely worth a spin

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - firefox-58 - 11-28-2020

(11-28-2020, 04:53 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: It does work but be warned at the mo this is really really slow.

However it looks less fugly than phosh in my opinion and less old school linuxy than the straight forward arch etc images ( I know some people prefer these - that is understandable)

However what this build and I hope subsequent builds show is a more tablet friendly version of manjaro so definitely worth a spin

The manjaro plasma-mobile build cannot used in landscape mode. The Bugreport is full of such basic issues and AFAIK the only real usable OS ist UB-Touch for now.
It has also a lot of bugs, but You can use it for basic mail, telegram and Internet via browser.

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - andybleaden@gmail.com - 11-30-2020

(11-28-2020, 04:53 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: It does work but be warned at the mo this is really really slow.

Also had a go as I had spare time at the weekend to try it on the emmc to see if it sped things up a little (it did - a little) 
Was starting to enjoy but a large upgrade broke the wifi so will have to retry another wet weekend.  Installed Ubuntu but so much does not work right now it is not worth the nicer looks so it is back to fugly looking Arch for at least another week for me as I have run out of time to experiment... for now

It might be not the nicest on the pinetab but I can do emails, music,keyboard works, it rotates, bluetooth is nearly reliable etc 

I just wished it looked nicer so will spend time trying to make that happen

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - andybleaden@gmail.com - 12-03-2020

Well - bit of wet weather gave me time to try this approach from scratch and to finally ditch phosh

and it works - now really rather well

Not a high end pc by any means but a decent build with plasma on and phosh finally out.

looks nice

not too slow either on the emmc

no virtual keyboard as reported but 9/10 so far

Operating System: Arch Linux ARM
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.76.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.9.11-1-danctnix
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 ×
Memory: 1.9 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mali400

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - wd5gnr - 12-12-2020

I did some updates and now the screen is forever rotated. I've tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work (e.g., manual rotation, etc.). Anyone have a fix? Or what OS is most stable now if I decide to reinstall?

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - Jeffersoniantoo - 12-13-2020

(12-12-2020, 03:02 PM)wd5gnr Wrote: I did some updates and now the screen is forever rotated. I've tried a lot of things, but nothing seems to work (e.g., manual rotation, etc.). Anyone have a fix? Or what OS is most stable now if I decide to reinstall?
Mine has been suck in portrait mode for a few updates now.  That and the missing virtual keyboards are my only issues with Arch/Plasma at this point.  Hopefully a solution can be found.

KL7JKC

RE: Arch, Plasma desktop and wayland - peperjohnny - 12-14-2020

Interstingly enough rotation works like a charm here. vkb does not.