PINE64
Is there a better audio / podcast player? - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+--- Forum: PinePhone Software (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=121)
+---- Forum: Mobian on PinePhone (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+---- Thread: Is there a better audio / podcast player? (/showthread.php?tid=10981)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Is there a better audio / podcast player? - ragreenburg - 08-04-2021

(01-15-2021, 08:56 AM)3x5co Wrote: I'm not nuts about flatpak, but I just installed Podcasts and it works great. Generally, I think our best bet is going to be these 'official' Gnome apps. They are most mobile-friendly.

I've been using Podcasts and it has a HUGE drawback for me which is if you close the app it doesn't remember where you when listening or even what you were listening to. So if I am listening to an older episode of a podcast and get half way through then close the app because I can't listen, then I have to scroll all the way down (which can be quite far with podcasts with hundred of episodes) just to get to the podcast then fast forward a bunch to get to the spot I stopped listening at. Unfortunately though, most other podcast players are pretty bad for scaling for Podcasts is the best bet right now. That being said, I still think it is a 2/5 and would love to see some real improvements to this or just find a better podcast player.

RE: Is there a better audio / podcast player? - c3l@ - 08-08-2021

Rockbox supports bookmarking and multiple formats, you can even build it on the Pinephone itself.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=11823 .

Why Rockbox

RE: Is there a better audio / podcast player? - new2pinephone - 08-23-2021

I too love my Pinephone and the revolution it harbingers, but podcasts really aren't working for me and I am getting quite frustrated. 
- Kasts worked great for a while but now, presumably after some update, just freezes on the starting image.
- With Clementine and gPodder something always goes wrong with the GUI on the screen, so I cannot properly download and change the settings.
- Rhythmbox, which I love and works great on the desktop, on the Pinephone gives an error message whenever I try to add a new podcast.
- Podcasts and Vocal are widely praised, maybe because they are simple, but they lack an online search function, and I am having real trouble finding the correct RSS urls to add (whatever address I tried is always wrong. And the copy/paste function seems not to transfer from site to app, so I have to write and enter by hand. Anybody else having this issue?)

This is probably down to my inexperience with Linux and the fact that, for example, I still haven't found a proper way to just transfer files from the desktop (Ubuntu 18.04) to the phone (bluetooth fails with any but the smallest file, SSH/smb won't connect and the phone is not seen as external device. Any suggestions there too?).

Is it just my incompetence? Any suggestions to fix any of the above?

Thanks a million!

RE: Is there a better audio / podcast player? - fernando_c_m - 08-24-2021

(08-23-2021, 04:50 PM)new2pinephone Wrote: This is probably down to my inexperience with Linux and the fact that, for example, I still haven't found a proper way to just transfer files from the desktop (Ubuntu 18.04) to the phone (bluetooth fails with any but the smallest file, SSH/smb won't connect and the phone is not seen as external device. Any suggestions there too?).

Have you tried to use the scp command?
You have to be on the same W(LAN) on your desktop computer and the pinephone.
ssh must be enabled on both desktop and pinephone
then scp -r /home/desktop/files_folder mobian@mobian.local:/home/mobian/dest_folder

RE: Is there a better audio / podcast player? - Zebulon Walton - 08-24-2021

If all else fails there is what we used to call "sneakernet" back in the day (moving physical media between systems). You can always use an SD card as a medium to transfer files.

I've mainly been using sshfs and it works well aside from not being able to handle symbolic links. I've tried to get Samba (Windows networking) to work but so far have not had success even using an smb.conf config file from a Linux system with a working Samba installation.

RE: Is there a better audio / podcast player? - ragreenburg - 08-24-2021

(08-23-2021, 04:50 PM)new2pinephone Wrote: I too love my Pinephone and the revolution it harbingers, but podcasts really aren't working for me and I am getting quite frustrated. 
- Kasts worked great for a while but now, presumably after some update, just freezes on the starting image.
- With Clementine and gPodder something always goes wrong with the GUI on the screen, so I cannot properly download and change the settings.
- Rhythmbox, which I love and works great on the desktop, on the Pinephone gives an error message whenever I try to add a new podcast.
- Podcasts and Vocal are widely praised, maybe because they are simple, but they lack an online search function, and I am having real trouble finding the correct RSS urls to add (whatever address I tried is always wrong. And the copy/paste function seems not to transfer from site to app, so I have to write and enter by hand. Anybody else having this issue?)

This is probably down to my inexperience with Linux and the fact that, for example, I still haven't found a proper way to just transfer files from the desktop (Ubuntu 18.04) to the phone (bluetooth fails with any but the smallest file, SSH/smb won't connect and the phone is not seen as external device. Any suggestions there too?).

Is it just my incompetence? Any suggestions to fix any of the above?

Thanks a million!

I have been using podparadise.com to get my RSS feeds and that has been working well. Just find your podcast and on the side it should show "View RSS feed" and just copy the URL from there.