PINE64
USB hub as to connect some extra device - Printable Version

+- PINE64 (https://forum.pine64.org)
+-- Forum: PINE A64(+) (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Pine A64 Hardware, Accessories and POT (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+---- Forum: Accessories (https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Thread: USB hub as to connect some extra device (/showthread.php?tid=1026)

Pages: 1 2 3

USB hub as to connect some extra device - Ghanshyam - 05-13-2016

Hi 

I would like to connect my usb keyboard and mouse to my pine 2gb using usb hub I am currently using Remix OS 2.0 .
When i connect directly the usb keyboard and mouse to pine it works absolutely fine.

But problem as pine have only two usb port when i have connected  usb keyboard and mouse i would also like to connect my external hdd and usb pendrive.
so i tried to use 4 port usb hub but it was not able detect or not working the usb keyborad and mouse   
I like to knew its this problem with Remix OS or o/p usb power is not sufficient to use hub.  Huh Huh

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - Luke - 05-13-2016

(05-13-2016, 04:30 AM)Ghanshyam Wrote: Hi 

I would like to connect my usb keyboard and mouse to my pine 2gb using usb hub I am currently using Remix OS 2.0 .
When i connect directly the usb keyboard and mouse to pine it works absolutely fine.

But problem as pine have only two usb port when i have connected  usb keyboard and mouse i would also like to connect my external hdd and usb pendrive.
so i tried to use 4 port usb hub but it was not able detect or not working the usb keyborad and mouse   
I like to knew its this problem with Remix OS or o/p usb power is not sufficient to use hub.  Huh Huh

I am not certain but the USB2 port delivers 500ma of power, so if you want to attach an external USB2 drive then you should use a powered hub instead. Especially since you have other devices connected.

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - janeku - 06-27-2016

Hello,
I also have USB Hub (powered) but I noticed strange situation after 3rd or 4th power on/off.
As you could see from pic my USB hub is working without it's power supply. It also work with it's power supply connected to power (main grid) and surprisingly PINE is still working.
Does somebody knows what is happening and can  I continue work with both supplies (one is 2A, Pine power, and second is 1A, usb hub power) or should I run only on one power and use hub with pine's power supply ?

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - dkryder - 06-27-2016

i was reading some reviews over the weekend about powered hubs that do what yours is doing. my hub does not do this. but i think the board should have a power protection circuit to avoid damage but i have not read anything to suggest that it does have a power protection circuit.

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - jjmgryphon - 06-27-2016

(05-13-2016, 04:30 AM)Ghanshyam Wrote: Hi 

As was stated by Luke and in forum post http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=783 , You only get .5A from the board via the USB2 plug in's.  If all you have plugged into the hub are the KB and Mouse, you are prob safe for that voltage and if they won't read try unplugging the KB and Mouse and just plug in the pendrive.  If the hub works then it will atleast see the pendrive and should say there is a device connected.  If nothing happens the hub may be bad or may not be seen by the OS.  In which case you will need a different hub.

You will prob be safe plugging in the pendrive, KB and Mouse at the same time.  Probably.

Plugging in the HD and trying to run it off the board just won't work.  No way, shape or form without extra power.  Some external HDD's have extra power connectors or a cable with extra connector for additional power.  The other option is to get a powered USB Hub.  Make sure though that it gives enough power.  I've seen some hubs recently that only give 1A or 1.5A and might not work.  Just know that most external HDD's require 1A to 2A of power and less can ruin the HDD and board.  Your external HDD should say how much it requires in it's documentation.  

Hope this helps you.

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - janeku - 06-28-2016

I measured output of connection from USB hub to PC (Pine64) and it says 4.9V
Looks like there is no protection in this situation. I was thinking about cutting out 5V supply from hub to pine 64, leaving just D- and D+ and Ground . Is this Ok ?
Regards,

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - xalius - 06-28-2016

Any powered hub that has no switches or isolation and feeds 5V upstream is usually not compliant to the USB standard. For OTG ports it can be different since there are special power switches to implement protection. Feeding the 5V from the hub back into the host can lead to all sorts of damage because any difference in the 5V of the two power supplies will cause a rather large current to flow and probably damage one of the regulators and if the Pine is not powered you can cause a latch-up in the I/O pins of the processors if there are no series protection resistors. You can try to what you proposed and cut the 5V in the upstream port, but there might be still difference in the signal levels if the 5V of the hub differ to far from the 5V of the Pine.

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - JasperBrown - 06-28-2016

Active power adapters are nice but than you need two of them to get the speed of 2 USB ports..
and this means two external power adapter...

If I only need 4 ports, it is also possible to use a 2 port hub.

- F
M -
     - F

http://www.ebay.de/itm/112029314857?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - janeku - 06-28-2016

(06-28-2016, 06:30 AM)xalius Wrote: Any powered hub that has no switches or isolation and feeds 5V upstream is usually not compliant to the USB standard. For OTG ports it can be different since there are special power switches to implement protection. Feeding the 5V from the hub back into the host can lead to all sorts of damage because any difference in the 5V of the two power supplies will cause a rather large current to flow and probably damage one of the regulators and if the Pine is not powered you can cause a latch-up in the I/O pins of the processors if there are no series protection resistors. You can try to what you proposed and cut the 5V in the upstream port, but there might be still difference in the signal levels if the 5V of the hub differ to far from the 5V of the Pine.

I am not too much in electronics since 15 years ago but i hope I did it right.
I consult friend of mine about cutting 5V upstream to Pine64 and also read about output pins of USB cable.
Data is transmitted only in 2 'lines" D+ and D-, and other 2 "lines" is 5V+ and GND. 5V is just for supplying external units connected to USB port.
So I decided to cut out 5V wire and result is no 5V on upper line and no fear of possible damage ( i think so Smile ) I left purposely GND connected because I suppose it is balance also for D- and D+ and act as a shield.

RE: USB hub as to connect some extra device - gbjensen - 06-29-2016

I have a USB hub connected with external power supply. It works fine. I have a USB HD and a mouse attached.
It works very fine.