PINE64

Full Version: November 18th: Casual Mid-Month Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone,

I did a one of these casual updates last month and thought that it would be a good idea to do one this month too. I won't be writing them every single month, but when there is something noteworthy happening - like now - I feel they serve a purpose.

Speaking of updates, the December update will be the last one of the year (obviously) and I'll run a poll a week prior to it being posted asking about how we did this year and what you'd like us to improve on in 2020. Keep a lookout for that, because we really like to hear back from you on this.

Pinebook Pro

We have the firmware for the Pinebook Pro trackpad & keyboard. I am running a little update thread here for those interested. Long story short, the process of flashing the new firmware is currently quite involved and we're thinking of ways to make it relatively painless. Both and have been instrumental in working these things out - thanks guys! Ayufan is currently rewriting the flashing software based on the source, so the flashing process will either be fully or partly automated when end-users get it in their hands. Future PBPs will ship with this firmware already flashed.

[edit 26/11/2019] Trackpad fix is out and available here.

PinePhone

The Brave Heart edition is up for per-order right now. [sarcasm] The launch went smoothly without incidents Wink Those of you who waited up / woke up to be there at zero-hour are sworn to secrecy and required to hold the line that it all went flawlessly [/sarcasm]. Congrats on getting your pre-orders in.  

Approximately half of all PinePhones have now sold so I expect that all will be gone by the end of this week.
Developer's phones keep shipping and are going out steadily albeit slower than we'd (and probably developers) hoped. A large portion of the dev phones will go out this week.

Behind the scenes a lot of debugging, testing and tweaking is going on to make sure that we can deliver the best early-adopter's phone possible. I'll leave the details for next months update. I should have my PinePhone (still pre-production rather than Brave Heart Edition) at the end of the month, and intend to record a video about it. If there are some things you'd like to see in this video - leave it in the comment below.

PineTab

In this month's update I asked if you'd like us to run an early adopters batch for the PineTab. The response to my query was very positive and the number of requests for making this happen was surprisingly large. As a result, its happening. The production of and early adopters batch of PineTabs has now began. I don't really have any other details to offer at this time; we probably going to wait until all the Brave Heart PinePhones ship before making arrangements for the PineTab. We still need a suitable OS to accompany this batch ... so it may yet take some time.  

PineTime

PineTime development has taken off and I've been super impressed by the progress. In recent weeks we've seen some spectacular write-ups too, like this one by Lup Yuen Lee. What makes so many of these write-ups interesting is that people don't always use the PineTime 'the way we envisaged', which frankly speaking is great and exciting.

As I have already indicated in the past on the forum, blog, chats and elsewhere - we were considering making the PineTime dev kits widely available, but were unsure of how many people would actually want one. As it turns out, a lot of people do. And this is good news, since this is a truly experimental side-kick community project.  So in the coming days we'll be making PineTime kits available for purchase from the Pine Store.
The Brave Heart : ships with the boot hierarchy on the eMMC ?
(11-18-2019, 11:10 AM)bcnaz Wrote: [ -> ]The Brave Heart :  ships with the boot hierarchy on the eMMC   ?

The A64 has an inherent boot hierarchy that prioritizes SD
First, Thank you! You and everyone in the Pine64 team thank you! It's taking everything I have not to order a second pinephone. I have to share, right? I've also ordered a PineBook Pro! I'm not a dev so I cant get a pineTime yet but I'll be one of the first guys setting an alarm making sure that release is flawless too. if ya know what I mean Wink Wink Wink

(11-18-2019, 05:33 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]If there are some things you'd like to see in this video - leave it in the comment below.

I know it's probably not ready or not everything works but I'd love to see it doing phone things. Making a Call, Sending an SMS, sending a MMS, using Cell data to browse the internet. I think most of us understand it's a mini linux desktop/laptop and it can run linux apps.. what about phone things Smile
(11-18-2019, 07:01 PM)FutureBucket Wrote: [ -> ]First, Thank you! You and everyone in the Pine64 team thank you! It's taking everything I have not to order a second pinephone. I have to share, right? I've also ordered a PineBook Pro! I'm not a dev so I cant get a pineTime yet but I'll be one of the first guys setting an alarm making sure that release is flawless too. if ya know what I mean Wink Wink Wink

(11-18-2019, 05:33 AM)Luke Wrote: [ -> ]If there are some things you'd like to see in this video - leave it in the comment below.

I know it's probably not ready or not everything works but I'd love to see it doing phone things. Making a Call, Sending an SMS, sending a MMS, using Cell data to browse the internet. I think most of us understand it's a mini linux desktop/laptop and it can run linux apps.. what about phone things Smile

Thanks! Yep, no doubt, when I'll get the phone I'll make sure to load up 2-3 of my favorite OSs and make them do typical mobile-stuff.
Believe it or not, but I am somewhat of a layman when it comes to Linux on mobile - my exposure to these OSs is limited to my time with the dev kit. So, I may do a 'blind' exploration video, opening the phone on camera and just having a go at it ...
As I said on my Twitter, I'll try to make a Arch Linux ARM rootfs for the PineTab.
I'll soon receive the Brave Heart PinePhone as well, so I'll try to make it compatible on that as well.

inb4 chad i3wm setup on pinephone with otg keyboard
Thank you for the update!

And yes, the ordering process of Brave Heart was butter smooth! No problems there! Wink

Since I´m looking forward to an eventual physical keyboard (be sure to let us know when/if it´s time to share suggestions on design) I would like to see how the current OSs handle screen rotation and landscape mode/viewing, if possible.
Thank you for the update.
We'll be kindly, even though impatiently :-), waiting for the pinetab brave heart pre order.
Do you guys know the exact day for the release of the pinetime dev kits yet?
(11-25-2019, 08:46 PM)Osediu Wrote: [ -> ]Do you guys know the exact day for the release of the pinetime dev kits yet?

December 5
Pages: 1 2