PINE64

Full Version: Firefox freezes Pinebook forcing hard reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having an issue where periodically Firefox latest will freeze up with only 1 or 2 tabs open in a single window and the only way to continue using the Pinebook is to restart by holding down the power switch.

Can't get to a terminal either by opening Konsole (or switching to an already open Konsole) or by dropping to a terminal out of the GUI.

I have a lot of synced bookmarks etc on FF, but might consider another browser on this PC if anyone has a good suggestion.
I have turned on hardware acceleration in FF :config. Seems a bit better but still happens with eh freeze.
Have also disables all non-vital plugins/extensions.

Anything else I can do to get FF to work better?

While we're here, why KDE neon as default on such a basic machine? KDE Neon doesn't even run that nicely on recent intel hardware in my experience (by recent I mean 5-6 yr old 64bit i7 with 4-8gb ram).
Surely something like the pinebook would benefit hugely from XFCE on a faster base distro?

I am going to try a couple of others, like the Debian one, and I will try to get Slackware arm working. Just need some microSD first.
Overall though, I am very pleased with the pinebook, and given some of the negative comments I had read about it I wonder what those people where complaining about! I like it a lot!
Just to update this stub, I changes OS to Armbian and found a siginificant speed increase. NO more KDE for me.
Pinebook is now a usable PC for most tasks Smile

Armbian comes with Chromium which is almost as fast as FF on a x86-64.