PINE64

Full Version: USB 3.0 hard drive write speed increase tip on Ubuntu 18.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is a tip for speeding up writes to a external USB 3.0 hard drive on ubuntu 18.04.
If it has already been discussed I apologize for the duplicate thread.
I however had not seen this info before.

Using the default mount format of
Code:
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/USB/
I was seeing write speeds around 25-35MB/s over SMB.

However I added the bigwrite flag and my speeds rose to 40-55MB/s over SMB. This was also over wifi, so wired might be faster. I know my drive can do 100MB/s when connected directly to my laptop.
I also added automount via UUID in etc/fstab

Code:
UUID=165C922D5C92079F /media/USB ntfs-3g big_writes,rw,async,nosuid,nodev,nofail 0 0

Now the weird part is that the local hdparm tests show no significance difference between these two mounting options.
Maybe I am just not using the right flags?

Code:
sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
Before:
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1106 MB in  2.00 seconds = 552.88 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 328 MB in  3.01 seconds = 108.89 MB/sec

After:
/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1110 MB in  2.00 seconds = 554.81 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 328 MB in  3.01 seconds = 108.83 MB/sec
(05-20-2019, 03:44 PM)Wizardknight Wrote: [ -> ]Now the weird part is that the local hdparm tests show no significance difference between these two mounting options.
Maybe I am just not using the right flags?
hdparm cant't see this flag.
big_writes is for fusefs
and hdparm uses real hardware...
The problem you're having is with "ntfs-3g" it's been like this for quite some time. I had this problem when downloading through Usenet to an NTFS drive. I dug deeper, changed to ext4 and it's much faster now.

NTFS-3G hasn't been updated since 2017 and is known for it's problems.
(05-24-2019, 12:12 PM)thatchunkylad1989 Wrote: [ -> ]The problem you're having is with "ntfs-3g" it's been like this for quite some time. I had this problem when downloading through Usenet to an NTFS drive. I dug deeper, changed to ext4 and it's much faster now.

NTFS-3G hasn't been updated since 2017 and is known for it's problems.

I didn't realize I had a problem.
Some of us run mixed OS environments, and need NTFS.