PINE64

Full Version: Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
I am wondering what others have experienced with screen tearing... screen tearing doesn't happen on Android builds but it does on almost every linux build (i haven't been to test recalbox for screen tearing as i havent been able to get a standard  desktop running and i have not tested all the other OSs...)

I am trying to get it setup so i can use this as a media player and server... kinda like a set top box that also serves the files to other devices... but the big issue is i cant use any web content with out having pretty intense screen tearing. if there is anything i can do to help further the fix for this i will be willing to help out as much as possible.

Speak
A follow-up to my previous message:
The pulseaudio issue is reproducible on my system (all pine components including emmc, pcie-sata, wfif/bt board, nas box, and an HDMI monitor without sound => using headphone jack).  After apt remove pulseaudio as root, and login to desktop as rock, I can then sudo apt install pulseaudio,  and hey presto it works, I even have sound -e.g. youtube (first time for this rockpro)!
However if I  then logout and then try to login again as rock, it crashes again. I  can restart, login as root, apt remove pulseaudio, and now again can login as rock …  So the crash is related to the process just after login,  probably solvable.

A bigger issue is that I still can’t get wifi and BT to work usefully - they can see other devices, and vice-versa, and attempt connecting / pairing, but never succeed to establish a useable connection.

So I went back to ayufan’s latest mate-desktop build (0.8.0rc10) and there the same wifi does connect well - so I know the hardware works and is setup OK. However on that build trying to mount the sata drives crashes everything (same drives working ok on this build), and there are other stability issues (will write in other thread).

Two easily-fixable issues that make MrFixIt build inconvenient for experimenting (that are good in Ayufan’s build) :
- ssh should be easy to use on startup with a documented login name (I can connect by searching for the IP number on the router, but this varies and is a hassle).  
- a wide range of screen resolutions should be supported and work on startup, for example for a 1280x1024 monitor (yes it’s old, but don’t expect all users to dedicate a new monitor costing more than the board).  I can make this resolution work by using xrandr in terminal, but the option vanishes on each reboot.

I wish that you guys could somehow join forces and implement everything together, this must be possible since each feature has worked, just never in one system. Meanwhile  swapping is tedious as I have only one emmc, have to keep re-flashing.   For long term application, we need to build on a stable system that can be updated without re-flashing the whole image.  So in general, while mate is nice, I also wonder about the wisdom of relying on 32-bit armhf - isn’t this likely to become a dead-end route for future updates?
Great feedback. So, about WiFi - connect using nmtui and it'll connect straight up. Also, you can connect to a BT device without issues from terminal.

As for the userland being 32bits - currently 64bit presents a few key issues for desktop builds, including poor performance.
Bump for Rock64 compatibility that would allow an installable ParrotSec version.
Hi
Netflix and Spotify now work very well on Chromium Smile

Download from https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrovcp0m1yq1nt...m.zip?dl=0
and run sudo ./install.sh.
(04-28-2019, 06:55 AM)kardanadm Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
Netflix and Spotify now work very well on Chromium Smile

Download from https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrovcp0m1yq1nt...m.zip?dl=0
and run sudo ./install.sh.

Can confirm it works.
I watched Lucifer a season with Netflix on Chromium and listened to music with spotify for 5-6 hours.

It works flawlessly.
Netflix has been a problem 1-2 times, we need to be insistent and try again.

edit.
there are ripples and fluctuations in the video, sometimes there are slowdowns, but this is very little.

chromium-netflix 1080p
benjhmA follow-up to my previous message:
The pulseaudio issue is reproducible on my system (all pine components including emmc, pcie-sata, wfif/bt board, nas box, and an HDMI monitor without sound => using headphone jack).  After apt remove pulseaudio as root, and login to desktop as rock, I can then sudo apt install pulseaudio,  and hey presto it works, I even have sound -e.g. youtube (first time for this rockpro)!
However if I  then logout and then try to login again as rock, it crashes again. I  can restart, login as root, apt remove pulseaudio, and now again can login as rock …  So the crash is related to the process just after login,  probably solvable.

[...]
Just a couple of data points;

1. It is possible to get to the rock desktop if you first login to the root desktop and then switch users. Other than confirming that the rock  user freezes when you try to access  a volume mounted via PCIe there's not much to say, yet.

2. User rock via ssh can use vlc to play media files from a mounted external USB drive and send Audio to the 3.5mm jack. Attempts to access PCIe mounted volumes again get dicey.

3. The symptoms are remarkably similar to those  of the LXDE distribution. In that case it was possible to ssh as root and use fdisk to partition and mke2fs to create filesystems. The relevance is that when a failed access messed up drive access it was possible to recover it by first running fdisk (p m) and then running e2fsck on each partition, if I skipped these two steps before mounting it would either not work or be unstable. The good news is that after doing this user1000 could populate the volume (using ssh) with about a terabyte of media files, root access not required beyond the mount. The bad news is that attempts to access PCIe connected storage from the desktop causes the crash.

4. One last point, the user lxde desktop was able to play media located on a USB drive, haven't had time to try this on rock's desktop yet.

Hope this helps narrow things down.

Brett K. Heath
Updated release! Still working on PCIe + Pulse issue, but in the meantime here's a bunch of goodies and updates:
https://github.com/mrfixit2001/debian_de...tag/190518

- Netflix and Spotify now play in Chromium
- Suspend and Resume support is now included
- AUFS drivers embedded into kernel
- CDN-DP firmware loading fixed
- LOTS of additional mainline back-ports and custom fixes
- Additional drivers included in kernel, including (but not limited to):
  •     - LOTS of networking stuff, such as VLAN and IPv6
  •     - Requirements for DOCKER containers
  •     - Additional Intel PCIe drivers
  •     - RAID support
- Additional PCIe driver fixes - Gen2 training now works
- Improved Networking Performance
- IR-Receiver support added to device tree
(05-18-2019, 03:32 PM)Mrfixit2001 Wrote: [ -> ]Updated release! Still working on PCIe + Pulse issue, but in the meantime here's a bunch of goodies and updates:
https://github.com/mrfixit2001/debian_de...tag/190518

- Netflix and Spotify now play in Chromium
- Suspend and Resume support is now included
- AUFS drivers embedded into kernel
- CDN-DP firmware loading fixed
- LOTS of additional mainline back-ports and custom fixes
- Additional drivers included in kernel, including (but not limited to):
  •     - LOTS of networking stuff, such as VLAN and IPv6
  •     - Requirements for DOCKER containers
  •     - Additional Intel PCIe drivers
  •     - RAID support
- Additional PCIe driver fixes - Gen2 training now works
- Improved Networking Performance
- IR-Receiver support added to device tree

Thanks for the updates.

Is the VPN running?
Edit:crashes when I open the chromium settings tab.
I've had this problem before. Netflix and Spotify was when I installed the widevine.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16