PINE64

Full Version: emmc / sd or ssd?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
   I have a question/remark concerning the "choice" between emmc / SD or ssd. Currently, the regular price for emmc of 64GB is rather in the same order of magnitude to a ssd of 120GB NVME. If I am not wrong, the SSD has a better performance than emmc, therefore, if it were possible to boot from PCIE, does it worth using emmc ? I read in the forum that many attempts has been done but end with a mix emmc for boot and ssd for root. team : is there a really possibility to make the rockpro64 boot from PCIE ?    

Best regards
My favorite is boot from sd-card and root system on an pcie nvme ssd.

For boot from ssd we need an working u-boot. At the moment not possible.
(02-21-2019, 12:59 PM)Bullet64 Wrote: [ -> ]My favorite is boot from sd-card and root system on an pcie nvme ssd.

For boot from ssd we need an working u-boot. At the moment not possible.

I read your posts, and I think that this is the best solution for performance (thank you for having shared your experiences). That's what I am going to do !
What I can also try is a network boot (PXE) with a root on SSD. I almost succeeded to boot (it boots but with some problems after) with nfs but never tried with root on ssd.
Is it possible to boot with USB-C ? I have a case with PCIE to USB-C converter.

LMM
I tried USB3 with a key stick it is ok, but USB-C does not boot : power led not lit on the ssd